• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Update 2:

Dena PR:

Companies to develop new game apps featuring Nintendo IP for smart devices and a new multi-device membership service

TOKYO, JAPAN - March 17, 2015 - Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7974) and DeNA Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 2432) today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

Leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. The alliance is intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business and extend Nintendo's reach into the vast market of smart device users worldwide. Under the alliance, DeNA will also be able to strengthen its gaming business at a global scale by leveraging Nintendo's IP. To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance. As these consumers enjoy the unique kind of gameplay found only with Nintendo, they will have the opportunity to explore even more premium experiences on Nintendo's dedicated video game platforms. Information on upcoming games and availability will be forthcoming.
Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

As part of the long-term relationship and commitment by each company, Nintendo and DeNA have also agreed to form a capital alliance. Under the capital alliance, Nintendo will acquire 15,081,000 of DeNA's treasury shares, which corresponds to 10.00 percent of its total outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. DeNA will simultaneously acquire 1,759,400 of Nintendo's treasury shares, which corresponds to 1.24 percent of its outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. The payment is due April 2, 2015.

Update:

takoyaki said:
Not sure if this has been covered already, the different threads are hard to keep up with. In Asahi Shinbun's writeup of the story it is specifically mentioned that the first smartphone game(s) using Nintendo characters will be released this year.

これまで任天堂はスマホへの展開に慎重だったが、自社のキャラクターをスマホ経由で広めた方が売り上げ増につながると判断した。任天堂キャラを使った最初のスマホゲームを年内に出す。

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASH3K5Q76H3KPLFA00F.html

---

From the Verge- http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8230477/nintendo-dena-mobile-games-announcement
Nintendo has long resisted the call of mobile gaming, but today it entered the space in a big way. The company has announced that it will team up with DeNA, a major Japanese mobile gaming company, to make smartphone games featuring Nintendo characters. The two companies "intend to jointly operate new gaming applications featuring Nintendo IP, which they will develop specifically for smart devices," Nintendo said in a statement.

Nintendo has flirted with mobile gaming before. In a tie-up with GungHo, the company will release a Mario-themed version of Japanese mobile smash hit Puzzle & Dragons for 3DS next month, and recent experiments like Pokémon Shuffle have adopted similar free-to-play business models.

We're at a hastily convened press conference in Tokyo that's due to start soon, and will bring you any further news as it happens.

Mod Abuse:

Direct source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html

Select quotes:

Iwata:

Of course, Nintendo will utilize smart devices as communication media for Nintendo IP. In addition, so that our consumers will be closely connected with them, we will deploy a game business which takes advantage of Nintendo IP.

Iwata:

Quite a few of you must be wondering why Nintendo, which has never deviated from its cautious stance in regard to the possibility of deploying its game business on smart devices, has now changed its policy.
Please note, however, that I was not dismissing the idea of making games for smart devices per se as I stated at the January 2014 Corporate Management Policy Briefing that a development team of Nintendo would create a smart device application, and please also note that I had not ruled out the possibility of making games when we make use of these devices.

Iwata:

Nintendo and DeNA will jointly develop and operate gaming applications for smart devices in global markets.

With this alliance, new entertainment that utilizes Nintendo’s IP will be provided globally via smart devices.

Iwata:

Needless to say, now that we are challenging ourselves in this new business area, we hope that hundreds of millions of people will use and enjoy these products.

Iwata:

As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.

tnaden

Nintendo and DeNA expect to develop a new core system compatible with a variety of devices including PCs, smartphones and tablets as well as Nintendo’s dedicated video game systems

Nintendo going PC!

jeremy1456

Other mobile developers are going to begin folding left and right.

Remember, no one thinks they can compete with Nintendo.

FsjbjXd.gif

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Boooooooooooooooooo

Thoraxes

They are going to make some mad fucking bank.

Though, this sounds more like the lending IP to outside parties thing than Nintendo moving to mobile. Save your doomsday prophecies and update the thread title lol.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150317e.pdf

-Nintendo buying 10% stock shares of DeNA.
-Nintendo lending out IP.
-Joint development of a new multi-device membership service.

NewGame

Banned
I think it's going to be a mobile version of the eShop that plays like a game ala Rusty's Real Deal Baseball but instead Iwata's Real Deal Video Games

whyman

So they are letting 3rd party develop games that will be shit with their characters instead of doing it 1st party... Wow Nintendo just keep making bad decitions.

wonzo

Banned
it's great to see nintendo's taking the first steps in ensuring they remain relevant for the next few decades

AdanVC

WTF The fuck?? I'm just hoping for the best. Not sure how I feel about this but props to Nintendo for taking risks like this.

I always knew it would have to happen but I thought there it would only begin in like five years. Especially with how Iwata at the helm.

Really interesting to see what will happen.

Squire

Banned
You could feed the entirety of a third-world country and still have leftovers with all the crow that is needed for the people that swore, for years, at every opportunity, that Nintendo would never ever go mobile.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

jetsetrez

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. This may very well just be Nintendo licensing its characters to proven mobile properties like they've done with Puzzle and Dragons. I have a hard time believing it's going to be Nintendo's actual in-house talent making mobile games. The Verge is really bad about jumping to conclusions and posting dramatic, misleading headlines, especially when it comes to game stuff they are not well-versed in.

Dalius

I wonder if this means a real Mario games on a smartphone, or some crappy time-wasting puzzle game starring Nintendo characters. Maybe we'll see in 10 minutes

Top Bottom