• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Vice

This could be good. Nintendo's past dips into the non-hardcore audience have been fruitful and their dedication to providing high-value and fun titles is something that can't hurt the mobile space. Nintendo cares about the reputation of the IPs and hopefully this means there will be more than just clones of popular games with Mario and Link standing in for the warriors in Clash of Clans or the huts in Game of War. And, the extra cash flow may mean Nintendo can pump out some crazy off-kilter games regularly on their own platforms.

chrono01

1XNjhgW.gif

Every Wario Ware minigame, alone, could beat 80% of mobile games in quality.
How could anyone play an NES game without buttons by the way? I tried emulators and it sucks.

First smart long term decision Nintendo's made in decades, one they should have made at least a couple of years ago.

An extra revenue stream, Nintendo bringing their unique magic to the mobile market, getting experience competing for customers, and establishing a (hopefully) modern, multiplatform, unified account system.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the company finally starting to get its shit back together.

Gleethor

You could feed the entirety of a third-world country and still have leftovers with all the crow that is needed for the people that swore, for years, at every opportunity, that Nintendo would never ever go mobile.

Many people knew that this was a possibility, most just didn't want it to come to pass.

Seiniyta

I don't think this will be as big as a deal. I think their goal is to introduce people that don't/rarely play on 3DS etc to their franchises. Nintendo isn't going all out on mobile.

It was bound to happen someday, since they announced to license out their IPs. It's the logical next step, especially here in Japan. They will make some mad money with this. Smart move imho.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
People who believe that this means full fledged Mario and Pokemon games on Smartphones are going to be disappointed.

Expect Minigames in the vain of Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc. Something like Dr. Mario or Pullbox.

Edit: xD Yeah, of course, they will put all their big games on Steam. lol.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. This may very well just be Nintendo licensing its characters to proven mobile properties like they've done with Puzzle and Dragons. I have a hard time believing it's going to be Nintendo's actual in-house talent making mobile games. The Verge is really bad about jumping to conclusions and posting dramatic, misleading headlines, especially when it comes to game stuff they are not well-versed in.

That's all it sounds like right now. We'll see if they show anything, but I highly doubt this means they're moving the Zelda team to go work on mobile games...

xaszatm

Banned
You could feed the entirety of a third-world country and still have leftovers with all the crow that is needed for the people that swore, for years, at every opportunity, that Nintendo would never ever go mobile.

Oh hey, that smug opinion. You fucking bastards. Maybe I shouldn't Gaf while suicidal but people like you make me sick.

TOKYO, JAPAN - March 17, 2015 - Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7974) and DeNA Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 2432) today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

Leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. The alliance is intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business and extend Nintendo's reach into the vast market of smart device users worldwide. Under the alliance, DeNA will also be able to strengthen its gaming business at a global scale by leveraging Nintendo's IP. To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance.
As these consumers enjoy the unique kind of gameplay found only with Nintendo, they will have the opportunity to explore even more premium experiences on Nintendo's dedicated video game platforms. Information on upcoming games and availability will be forthcoming.

Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

As part of the long-term relationship and commitment by each company, Nintendo and DeNA have also agreed to form a capital alliance. Under the capital alliance, Nintendo will acquire 15,081,000 of DeNA's treasury shares, which corresponds to 10.00 percent of its total outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. DeNA will simultaneously acquire 1,759,400 of Nintendo's treasury shares, which corresponds to 1.24 percent of its outstanding stock, for a total of approximately 22 billion yen. The payment is due April 2, 2015.

About Nintendo

The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii U™ and Wii™ home consoles, and Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ families of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.3 billion video games and more than 680 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™ and Wii systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at http://www.nintendo.com.
About DeNA

DeNA (pronounced “D-N-A”) is a global Internet company that develops and operates a broad range of mobile and online services including games, e-commerce and other diversified offerings. Founded in 1999, DeNA is headquartered in Tokyo with offices and game development studios across the globe. DeNA Co., Ltd. is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (2432). For more information, visit: dena.com

http://dena.com/intl/press/2015/03/nintendo-and-dena-form-business-and-capital-alliance.html

ZeroGravity

I don't think this will be as big as a deal. I think their goal is to introduce people that don't/rarely play on 3DS etc to their franchises. Nintendo isn't going all out on mobile.
Basically this. Unless the handheld market completely collapses, nothing major is likely to change anytime soon, which is good for gaming.

Rich!

Anyone seriously expecting a virtual console, rereleases of previous titles or something like a full pokemon game need to get their expectations in check. None of those things are going to happen.

These will be mobile specific games, developed primarily for the mobile by a mobile developer that happen to star Nintendo characters. Nothing else, nothing more.

And other than overseeing the games to make sure they arent shit, Nintendo will be left to focus all of their own talent on their own console titles.

Stop panicking. The mobile venture is purely to expand the Nintendo market and bring new gamers to their consoles.

Cess007

Man, i gotta tradermark Angry (Star)Fox before Nintendo!

In all seriousness; this sounds like licensing their characters like that mobile puzzle game, right!

Bluth54

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like EA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a Nintendo fan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for mobile, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel your mobile games or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Well, this sure is a hell of a thing.

But yeah, this gives Nintendo exposure to mobile/social PC users and some extra cash so they can keep making handheld and console games.

Roo

b..b..b... but the always shrinking handheld market? D:
What about cannibalizing 3DS sales? D:

Won't somebody please think of the 3DS? ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

That membership service on PC seems weird. I wonder if that is the replacement for Club Nintendo. Now you buy games and get rewarded with virtual currency for F2P mobile games.

Probably more interesting - they're teaming up for a multi-device membership service.

VIRUAL CONSOLE SUBSCRIPTION HYYYYYPE

TOKYO, JAPAN - March 17, 2015 - Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7974) and DeNA Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 2432) today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like EA where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw over a Nintendo fan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that Nintendo fans, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for either mobile, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel your mobile games or you can kiss your business goodbye.
I never wanted to see the "Nintendo going mobile version". But it still makes me laugh!

Top Bottom