• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix your pathetic, shitty PSN servers, Sony

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People have often complained about bad download speeds from PSN, but for me it's always been decent. Around 3 MB/s or so. Not great given my 100 Mbps connection, but not awful. Since yesterday, however, it's been absolutely fucking terrible. First noticed it when trying to download the BB day 1 patch. "Shouldn't take too long", I thought, but OH how wrong I was. It downloaded at < 500 KB/s, and took ages. Right now I'm watching my PS4 try to download the FW update at like 200 KB/s. Fucking lol.

And I'm PAYING for this shit! Ok, maybe not this specifically, but I DO pay for online services. This is not acceptable.

It's not a server problem it's a software glitch. Pausing/resuming the download will eventually get me normal speeds and many people have noticed putting PS4 in rest mode improves them.

But yeah it sucks

Ouren

image.php

kudoboi

yup.. i bought a PS4 today and downloading infamous second son was such a pain. 6 hours to download 20GB. I could easily download that much within minutes on steam

LOL first my Bloodborne copy wasn't delivered until Wednesday, and by the time I put it in, the patch at first said two hours, I left it alone for a while since normally putting it in standby mode helps things, then I came back to it a bit later and it said three hours. I had to go to bed. So now I'm at work and I haven't even played it yet :(

Servers must be regionally relegated or something.
I haven't had an issue with PSN speeds in about a year and a half.

I'd understand if a recently released game is sort of gumming up the works.

Z3M0G

People have often complained about bad download speeds from PSN, but for me it's always been decent. Around 3 MB/s or so. Not great given my 100 Mbps connection, but not awful. Since yesterday, however, ...

lol

"Fix-yo-shit!" Raging after 1 day of slow speeds?

I agree OP

and i feel this problem to be very regional, for anyone having good connection post where you from, i honestly think there could be a connection

Einbroch

Banned
Two days after one of the biggest games comes out for the system and a massive FW is pushed out the servers are sluggish. RAAAAAAAGE.

It's been all over the place for me.

I never get the speeds I see on Steam, but occasionally my DL speeds on PS4 get close.

Not terrible, but definitely not as good as they should be.

Wired connection 100/50

Derpyduck

Banned
And while you're at it, fix the issue with the digital copy of Bloodborne showing up as not purchased in my library and on the store.

MaDKaT

That is pretty bad. My speeds seem to be pretty consistent at about 6-7mB/s with PSN on my on my 100mb/s connection. Was lucky enough to be download and install the BB pretty quickly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's not a server problem it's a software glitch. Pausing/resuming the download will eventually get me normal speeds and many people have noticed putting PS4 in rest mode improves them.

But yeah it sucks

I did that like five times with the BB download yesterday. Also restarted my router, reset the network settings on the PS4, etc. Nothing helped even slightly.

You're not paying to download stuff. All you pay for is multiplayer access, cloud saves and whatever exclusive PS+ stuff they offer.

I'm aware. But all that PS+ money should be going somewhere. Guess that somewhere is Sony's pockets.

yup.. i bought a PS4 today and downloading infamous second son was such a pain. 6 hours to download 20GB. I could easily download that much within minutes on steam

Yeah, that's such a night-and-day difference. On Steam I usually get 8+ MB/s (and I suspect I could get even more if my old router wasn't capping my speed a bit). And I don't pay a cent for that service, just the games on it.

Servers must be regionally relegated or something.
I haven't had an issue with PSN speeds in about a year and a half.

I'd understand if a recently released game is sort of gumming up the works.

It's got to be something like that. I often see complaints on here, but my download speeds are phenomenal on PS4. It's significantly better than what I get from my PS3 or 360.

WavekSra

I often turn off my computer and the Wi-Fi on my phone before I download anything on ps4. This helped my ps4 download at Steam speeds

thatJohann

I haven't had much issues with PSN server speeds. But I am using a wired connection. The WiFi speeds though are a whole other mess.

Amazing how everything on the internet is shit, garbage, there's no way to take seriously those who act so childishly so.

The Bloodborne download was normal here, kid

Derpcrawler

I always bitch that my speeds with PSN are 0.5Mbps up to 30Mbps, when I can average 300-500Mbps on Live, Steam or Origin. But today firmware took only 20-30 seconds to download (so should have been pushing 100-200Mbps), Bloodborne took less than 30 minutes to download yesterday, full 29Gb, the patch and 5Gb launcher took less than few minutes to download.

Whatever Sony is doing with PSN, I like the changes. Still I am skeptical and it might be just temporal improvement after which it will go back to shit.

While downloading Bloodborne patches, I noticed that my download speeds have pretty much halved since I last touched my PS4. They weren't fantastic to begin with, though.

Still beats the nightmare of PS3 downloads, I guess.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The problem for me is connecting to PSN in the first damn place. Once I'm online, everything is good and fast but whether I can connect at all seems to be a toss up.

Nephtes

This was a problem with the PS3, it's a problem with the PS4... End of story.

Thankfully, there's no bandwidth issues once you actually get into a game... So it would just seem the problem is getting patches from Sony's crappy server farm.

Video games are serious business

Isn't this bannable?

----

I agree OP. Well, I've only owned a PS4 for 32 hours, but during that time I've only managed to download 3GB. I still have the Bloodborne update, Infamous and Garden Warfare to download. It hovers around 200KB/s and then it just stops.

I did that like five times with the BB download yesterday. Also restarted my router, reset the network settings on the PS4, etc. Nothing helped even slightly.

Not sure then. Maybe a regional issue. I get 3 MB per second for the most part (which is in line with my 25 mbps plan), can download 14-15 GB in an hour. Same as I get on Steam on my PC

Trogdor1123

I don't see how you people are having issues, I live in Canada which is known to have AWFUL internet and my experience is nothing like yours... very odd.

The downloads speed can be really slow, one day I took 2 hours to download a 500mb part of a game.

Related to your complain I found frustrating Bloodblorne actually kicks you out of the game if you lost your internet connection to start offline mode.

Top Bottom