• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix your pathetic, shitty PSN servers, Sony

system11

Pretty much always useless in the UK from my ISP. Sometimes it does zip along but usually 250k or so is the best I see.

Muzicfreq

Banned
PS+ is one of the worst things that happened to console gaming.

GJelbx9.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The only thing worse than the insultingly pathetic speeds of Sony's servers are the people who show up in these threads who blame the person with the problem because everything happens to be fine for them.

monreader

Neo Member
It's because it's not widespread, there's millions of people that don't have the problem.

I am not saying it's not a problem for some but I don't think it's exactly Sony's fault.

I think it is Sony's fault considering I do not have this problem with any of the devices in my home that are connected online. When it takes 4 hours to download a 2.7GB patch, on a 140Mb connection, then there is something wrong on Sony's end. Also I would like to add that I have 2 friends that have a ps4 and both encounter this problem from time to time!

The only thing worse than the insultingly pathetic speeds of Sony's servers are the people who show up in these threads who blame the person with the problem because everything happens to be fine for them.

And mostly they post one liners "never had an issue LOL" without stating where they are at and giving any insight about their setup.

GrayFoxPL

I got PS4 today and I noticed the download speed is much lower then my PS3.

On PS3 my download speed is always max on my connection. I set ps3/ps4 connection the same.

I wonder if that additional HDCP setting(In System?) is what slows down PS4 downloads. On PS3 i have HDCP Server off always I just don't know if it's the same thing on PS4.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've lived in SF, NYC and LA over the past 7 years, and had many, many different ISPs, modems and routers.

In every place I've lived, my PC, iPhone and 360 all maxxed out my download pipe... blazing fast. On my PS3, and now my PS4, it has been absolute shit. Horrible speeds. Often times 1/10th of the speed I'm getting from every other device. Even if I directly wire my PS3/4 to the router or modem.

This is a problem with Sony's servers and/or hardware. Full stop. No question. Period.

truth411

But that was the problem, and it even infected Microsoft.

Sony realized that free online was killing them, and we jealous of the money Microsoft was raking in. They knew they needed to start charging, but couldn't get away with just adding that cost out of nowhere. she they introduced in on the PS3 as a stupid game library service.

I knew full well that they would begin forcing it for online play on the PS4. But they couldn't stop giving away games because they trained their customers so well. So now, instead of getting $50 a month, they get that minus whatever it costs to distribute the free games.

Microsoft ended up feeling forced to match, so XBL lost revenue, too. And XBL has not been as stable this gen as it was last gen. I don't think it is a coincidence that it correlates with now giving away free games.

I didn't mind paying for XBL as a service, but it grinds my gears that I have to hope the games I get are worth the outages we have seen. And it's all because Sony was clueless about online service on the PS3, and have now muddied the service for everyone. I'm just glad XBL hasn't sunk to PSN levels of crappiness.

Worse, the practice has lead to a ton of people not buying some games because you can now predict that you will get them for "free" later. So, yeah, Microsoft and Sony pay these publishers and eve for their games, but not until after their new online strategy already hurt their sales at launch.

PS+ is one of the worst things that happened to console gaming.

Joke post???

monreader

Neo Member
This is a problem with Sony's servers and/or hardware. Full stop. No question. Period.

This exactly. I am getting sick of the people who claim that it is a problem on the users end because they do not experience the problem. I have had this problem since launch, with somedays bettter than others. We are just over a year into the next gen with payed online now on the ps4, so it's really frustrating to still be experiencing these problems. Especially now, when all week I have been looking forward to picking up Bloodborne and when I get home and start the game up, I then have to wait a few hours to download a patch!

AwShucks

Downloaded everything at perfectly fine speeds yesterday. Rarely do I ever think these topics are actually the fault of PSN servers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Downloaded everything at perfectly fine speeds yesterday. Rarely do I ever think these topics are actually the fault of PSN servers.

a few posts above yours said:
I've lived in SF, NYC and LA over the past 7 years, and had many, many different ISPs, modems and routers.

In every place I've lived, my PC, iPhone and 360 all maxxed out my download pipe... blazing fast. On my PS3, and now my PS4, it has been absolute shit. Horrible speeds. Often times 1/10th of the speed I'm getting from every other device. Even if I directly wire my PS3/4 to the router or modem.

monreader

Neo Member

It is either the a fault in ps4 or PSN servers. When the people who are complaining are always mentioning that all the other devices in there home that are connected online never encounter these problems that there ps4 encounters when donwloading stuff then it is looking like something on Sonys end!

My PS4 is hardwired to my router which is literally 2 foot away. My laptop is also hardwired to the router! Now when I do an internet speed test on my laptop, it shows I have a speed of 120Mb/s, yet when I test the internet connection on the ps4, it says I have a speed of 14Mb/s!

So some GAF members are kinda working for Sony? Didn't know that.
I think they should disclose that information.

I never had any issues with PSN myself, because I only used my PS3 for Uncharted games I played offline, will maybe get a PS4 when UC4 drops
But my friends who are on PSN only machines are complaining like crazy.

PSN speeds are sometimes very fast and sometimes very slow.

But mostly they are slow and it's not just the downloads but Sony services too which suck major balls.

I used to rent movies from Video Unlimited and 8/10 movies i rent, they stop playing because they're streaming and the streaming quality can be really bad. But the thing that made me stop renting anything on PSN is the last time i rented the UFC event in January. The streaming was so bad and stopped every 10-15 seconds, it was embarassing with my friends wanting to watch the fights, i missed the last fight by 5-10 minutes because it was loading .. this is when i said my PS4 is good for exclusives pretty much and some other games that my friends also have only because for the rest it suck so bad.

Don't want to make it into a console comparison but the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 are leagues better and way way more stable. In fact, i've never had any problems with Microsoft services. I can rent movies, sports events and stuff like that on Xbox Live without having to worry about the thing shitting on me.

On PSN, you cross your fingers for it not to f**k. I even called Sony tech support and every time i complain, they tell me that i needed to call them when i rented the event/movie... Like yeah, i'm gonna call tech support when i have a party at home with friends who i socialize with etc... Sony need to get their shit together if they want to stay relevent in online.

And btw for those who are wondering, i'm connected by cable and have one of the best connections in the city.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not much issues with download speed, I just want PSN to stop crashing and freezing me PS3 all the time so I can actually use it. The crashing prevents me from purchasing anything or even browsing to see if there is something I want to buy. Or it just completely freezes my PS3 that I have to force a shut down. It's lost money because of the trouble I have to deal with and not worth opening PSN.

breakfuss

Not much issues with download speed, I just want PSN to stop crashing and freezing me PS3 all the time so I can actually use it. The crashing prevents me from purchasing anything or even browsing to see if there is something I want to buy. Or it just completely freezes my PS3 that I have to force a shut down. It's lost money because of the trouble I have to deal with and not worth opening PSN.

Never - I repeat - never use the console store on PS3. Just order and queue up your games from the website.

Zafir

It took me like an hour or two to download the day one patch for Bloodborne yesterday. Really ridiculous when my internet is 30Mb.

HGH

Banned
Sorry, was off at work.
Mind running a speed test?
Sure.
4246390262.png

The results do not match up with reality at all. I've never seen a download exceed 200kb/s on anything I own: PC, phone, PS3, it's all the same. And I'd kill for an upload speed above 50kb/s, and playing an online game below 150 ping feels unnatural to me nowadays.

May I ask where you live and how much this ISP charges?
My plan is 50$ with no bandwidth limits. It's the one most within my means. The other options are here. $1 USD is approximately 1500L.L. so divide by 1.5 if you want to run the conversions.
As you can see there are better speeds available, but they're basically all made in a way you exceed your bandwidth limit and pay up way more than 50$. Used to be that internet bills would run up 250/300$ in my old family home with 2 older siblings sharing it. Imagine sharing 40 or even 100GB among 5 people.
I can't imagine going back to 40GB a month. And back in 2007, it was 3GB a month (then 4 a few years later), with 10$ extra per 1GB, with no other plans available.

This makes no sense. People should lower their standards because ... your standards are low?

And somehow you pay for 2MB/s but get 200KB/s and you chose to not complain?

what
I guess that was poorly worded from me but I think people should just appreciate what they have. Also it's like this for everyone in the country. I just felt that complaining about 20GB over 6 hours felt a bit petty.

Yeah, I think so too. Finding that out has really changed the way I view some members posts. They're basically unpaid company reps that get benefits like beta access. At least Bamelin has it as a tag.

Sarobi

Banned

The MVP group is entirely volunteer based. There really is no need to disclose that information since we don't do anything special, and since anyone can apply to become one.

taybul

I've experienced this with every Sony game system I own. What has improved my speed on each and every one of them was setting the primary and secondary DNSs to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, respectively.

Nanashrew

Banned
Never - I repeat - never use the console store on PS3. Just order and queue up your games from the website.

I'll probably do that, but that still feels really silly to do. I should be able to access PSN and do what I want from there than having to use an external device =/.

RdN

PSN infrastructure has always been slow, unreliable and overall bad.

The difference is that during the PS3 era, it was free, so we all put out with it. Now that we're paying for ti, this level of service simply is unacceptable.

The thing is.. Sony's in a market position where they can afford to suck. There are 20+ million PS4s out there. People will keep buying games, people will keep playing online. So what if a minority complain on an internet board? They'll still pay for it, no matter what.

Personally, I'm probably not renewing my PSN+ subscription when it runs out in a couple months. I really can't justify paying for such bad service anymore. I really won't miss the indie games Sony's currently offering for "free", and most of my friends are getting online titles on XBO due to the improved experience.

I really hope the situation changes, but I really doubt it.

I've experienced this with every Sony game system I own. What has improved my speed on each and every one of them was setting the primary and secondary DNSs to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, respectively.

I had better luck using my ISP's DNS servers on the PS4 and Google's (ones you posted) on my router. No idea why.

My plan is 50$ with no bandwidth limits. It's the one most within my means. The other options are here. $1 USD is approximately 1500L.L. so divide by 1.5 if you want to run the conversions.
As you can see there are better speeds available, but they're basically all made in a way you exceed your bandwidth limit and pay up way more than 50$. Used to be that internet bills would run up 250/300$ in my old family home with 2 older siblings sharing it. Imagine sharing 40 or even 100GB among 5 people.
I can't imagine going back to 40GB a month. And back in 2007, it was 3GB a month (then 4 a few years later), with 10$ extra per 1GB, with no other plans available.

OK so you are in Lebanon.
Man that really makes me grateful for my speeds (which I whine about all the time).

I saw a lot of comments about letting the stuff download at work and want to ask if I am doing something wrong:

I have PS+ (member since the beginning) and I have the PS4 in standby and set to download updates and such. I've been noticing more and more that when I turn the console on in the evening I get a bunch of messages about downloads being started. It seems that even though the console has been on standby overnight and throughout the day, when I get in (let's say 7pm EST), nothing has been downloaded and it only starts when I turn the console on. PS3 has a scheduled window where it does this check and download and my Vita does it automatically if left on. Is there something I should look at as its getting annoying with the PS4 not automatically downloading patches. Hell, its supposed to auto download firmware updates and that download only started last night when I turned it on.

Thanks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I guess that was poorly worded from me but I think people should just appreciate what they have. Also it's like this for everyone in the country. I just felt that complaining about 20GB over 6 hours felt a bit petty.

Wow, that's honestly absolutely awful. I am pretty happy about my broadband options. Good speeds, decent prices (amazing compared to what you're paying for such low speeds), etc. But that doesn't mean I should be happy about 200 KB/s PSN downloads. That's 1.6% of my connection's max speed (which I'd never expect to reach, but still).

knavish

Hello all, trying to buy bloodborne via the PSN Store in the UK and getting an error message when viewing any games in the store.

The error message is something along the lines of "cannot select this content at the moment."

Any other UK GAFers getting this issue at the moment?

LAA

The PS4 is so pissing me off internet wise lately...
Today I tried port forwarding, seemed alright for most the day, I noticed upload speed went to 3.0+, first for wireless and download was around the same.
Lately I noticed party chat stuttering, chat constantly stopping and starting, then just before (though I'm not sure if it was actually PSN or my internet), but connection test would connect to PSN, then when it did, I noticed download speed PLUMMETED to like 1mbps, then after several other tests, both download and upload were less than that.
Then, (And this sorta happened before but worse), PS4 decided to turn itself off and back on saying there was an error with the system software.

I'm really running out of things to try, it just massively pisses me off that everything else in the house has benefitted from the new TPlink AC1750 router, then the PS4 is just constantly giving me shit. Even wired didn't improve things much straight to the router. I don't really know what to blame at all, is it Sony's end, is it my end, is it the ISP..I really don't know

My downlods have been absolutely fukked up since the update prior to 2.5 and after 2.5 I cant access the store at all, all I get is blank pages.

Sony wtf are you doing! fix this ffs.

ghibli99

Anecdotal, but mine sucks too. I'm only on a 15Mbps connection (oddly, I get 25Mbps up), but downloading PS4 games is crap. Maybe 1-1.5Mpbs. The Bloodborne patch took forever.

LAA

Anecdotal, but mine sucks too. I'm only on a 15Mbps connection (oddly, I get 25Mbps up), but downloading PS4 games is crap. Maybe 1-1.5Mpbs. The Bloodborne patch took forever.

Yeah its this sort of problem which seems my biggest annoyance with it.
Everything else around the house is getting at least 25mbps down, around 20mbps up, (Some higher if they're on the 5.0 GHz band), but PS4 is getting around half download speed and it rarely goes above 2mbps up. With wired I could get the PS4 to get similar speeds to everything else around the house download wise, upload wise though, barely changed, so I'm blaming PS4 hardware or PSN estimation or something else.

Had lots of problem with slow download speeds on the PS3 and would spend just as much time as downloading and installing the game as playing it at times.The PS4 speeds are little better, but it still under-performs next to any other device that I have. I decided I wouldn't pay for PS Plus as a result and just use the PS4 for playing single player games. Sony has more than enough resources to find and fix the issues present in their servers or software. I guess they decided it isn't worth it from a cost/benefit perspective.

Top Bottom