• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2: Episode 1 Goes Gold (New Teaser Trailer up)

Ark-AMN

Banned
HALF-LIFE® 2: EPISODE ONE AVAILABLE JUNE 1

Valve Launches First of an Episodic Trilogy

Bellevue, WA, May 22, 2006 - Valve®, developer of the blockbuster series Half-Life® and Counter-StrikeTM, announced Half-Life® 2: Episode One has gone gold. Episode One is the first in a trilogy of episodes that will conclude by Christmas of 2007.

Half-Life 2: Episode One advances the 15-million unit selling franchise and launches the first in a new, three-part series that leads far beyond City 17. Half-Life 2: Episode One does not require Half-Life 2 to play, and will be available via Steam® and at retail stores in North America for just $19.95 on June 1st. Also included in Episode One is a first look at Episode Two, which will ship by year's end.

"Given the rapid changes in PC gaming, we expect episodic games will have the same impact on single-player gaming that Counter-Strike had on multiplayer," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "The frequent releases of upgraded technology and new content works better for both consumers and developers, and is one of the key reasons Counter-Strike grew to be 80% of the online action market. We decided that a follow-up to Half-Life 2 delivered in 18 months with our first episode was more in tune with what our customers want than waiting 6 years for another monolithic product."

Episode One offers a new single player experience created by Valve, and is designed to be four to six hours in length. Stepping into the hazard suit of Dr. Gordon Freeman, you face the immediate repercussions of your actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, will accompany you in your efforts to aid in the human resistance's desperate battle against the totalitarian alien menace of the Combine.

In addition to the new single player experience, two multiplayer games are included. And those who purchase Episode One will have free access via Steam (www.steamgames.com) to Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, the interactive technology demo that introduces High Dynamic Range lighting to the SourceTM Engine, Valve's award-winning game technology.

New Trailer: http://www.valvesoftware.com/ep1/teaser/hl2-ep1_teaser1.wmv

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mrbob said:
The trilogy won't be concluded until Christmas 2007?! o_O

That's GOOD and makes sense....

One episode right now...

One late this year or early next year...

One around Christmas 07...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Episode 1 comes out in a week, the second one by the end of this year, then almost a full year for ep 3. Odds are Ep 1 and 2 were going to be combined into one big expansion before they decided to go episodic hence the shorter wait.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Hmm, trailer shows new clips of Alyx fighting. Though they mark it as "Launch Teaser 1", so that would indicate there are more to come.

Hopefully they'll give Dog his own teaser. :)

Ark-AMN

Banned
The camera placements in the trailer were too close-up to Alyx, should have given the viewer some more breathing room. :lol

squicken

Draft said:
Pretty fucking stupid that we can't buy it right now on STEAM, then.

Valve has to walk a very fine line so as to not piss off the retailers, who they still need. If Steam versions were released before the retail versions, or had more features, retailers would stop carrying Valve's products.

Easy_G

Valve seems to have become very bad at making trailers for their games. Every Episode 1 trailer that they've released has shown the exact same bit of Alyx fighting ant lions in dusk with really bad camera angles. It's just making me more and more uninterested in the game.

Though I'll still get it for sure. :lol

Hopefully some of the story questions will be answered.

Draft

squicken said:
Valve has to walk a very fine line so as to not piss off the retailers, who they still need. If Steam versions were released before the retail versions, or had more features, retailers would stop carrying Valve's products.
Valve should have made the Xpac STEAM exclusive. It's not like Gamestop gives two shits about PC gaming, and clearly Valve makes more money per unit sold over STEAM.

Digital distribution is not going to take off until someone with a killer app makes STEAM or a similar service the only way to buy it. I had hoped Valve would take that plunge, but I guess not.

Ark-AMN

Banned
To be fair to Valve, have they really ever had to make Trailers for any of their previous games? I mean, I don't remember much if any that were released for Half Life 2, and certainly nothing before that.

Mrbob

Ahahaha, just watched this. Horrible! :lol

Doesn't matter though the game is going to ROX. ALYX U R BACK 4 M3.

tehrafe

It looks ok I guess... I really want to see the story develop and all, but the graphics haven't really improved much imo. I wonder how it'll look like around christmas next year =p

fartblast

Banned
Funky Papa said:
It wasn't.

Horrible trailer and badical animation work. Back to work, Valve.

now you're just nitpicking. i swear some people on gaf could have jenna jameson's boobs in their face and still complain about the lighting on them

duckroll

Okay, there's some weird shit going on in that press release.

Episode One is the first in a trilogy of episodes that will conclude by Christmas of 2007.
Also included in Episode One is a first look at Episode Two, which will ship by year's end.

Does that mean Episode Three is going to that an entire year to come out? :lol

Funky Papa said:
There is zero nithpicking there, the animation work is horrible, period.

I don't care about HL2, but I had no problem with the animation shown.

There just wasn't anything interesting shown in that teaser/trailer.

Rur0ni

duckroll said:
Does that mean Episode Three is going to that an entire year to come out? :lol
Looks like it. Episode Two is supposed to bring new stuff though, engine wise, to stay competitive and all.

I'm happy with these episodes though.

ToxicAdam

So, HL2 sold 15 million units? I haven't seen that reported before ...

edit: Oops, it said "franchise". I guess that means HL1 and HL2 put together.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Make one Prince of Persia or Tony Hawk per year, and GAF bitches about how fast they are pumping them out.

Make 3 Half-Life episodes over the course of a year and a half, and GAF bitches about how slow they are pumpng them out.

Mrbob

No I think that was just me. :D Christmas 2007 just seems so far away to complete this trilogy, as HL2 is one of my favorite single player games of all time and I can't wait to play these expansions.

Oh and how can you hate Alyx Schafer?!?!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Mrbob said:
No I think that was just me. :D Christmas 2007 just seems so far away to complete this trilogy, as HL2 is one of my favorite single player games of all time and I can't wait to play these expansions.

Oh and how can you hate Alyx Schafer?!?!

It isn't hate so much as indifference. She was a completely disposable character in HL2 serving no purpose but to fill in as Gordon's "voice" whenever interaction with other story characters was necessary. Other then that she did nothing but holler instructions at you as she leapt around bannisters and the like.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So is the actual shooting going to be better in this one? HL2 criticisms:

-Way too many groups of combine standing idly next to exploding barrels.

-Weapons that have very limited ammo maxes so that the game mostly controls what guns you're able to use in any given area (through what ammo gets dropped). Also, some guns like the SMG have terrible "feels" due to the inflated inherent inaccuracy that isn't just represented through recoil and low muzzle velocity.

-AI that seems like a step back from HL1, at least on normal.

I have Ep 1 preordered....don't disappoint me, valve ;b

White Man

EviLore said:

I was happy enough with HL2, mostly because the great scripting and general presentation made up for tossing out some of HL1's merits.

Now, things have moved on, and it really can't get by on presentation alone. I'm certainly hoping Valve hits a dinger with this one.

Anyone up for some CS: Source tonite?

That trailer was surprisingly underwhelming. I'm all about HL2, but the trailers they have shown so far really doesn't do much to get me psyched about these new episodes.

Rorschach

EviLore said:
So is the actual shooting going to be better in this one? HL2 criticisms:

-Way too many groups of combine standing idly next to exploding barrels.

-Weapons that have very limited ammo maxes so that the game mostly controls what guns you're able to use in any given area (through what ammo gets dropped). Also, some guns like the SMG have terrible "feels" due to the inflated inherent inaccuracy that isn't just represented through recoil and low muzzle velocity.

-AI that seems like a step back from HL1, at least on normal.

Play it on hard!

I didn't see anything wrong with the subs...yeah, you can't fight long distance very well with them, but that's not what they're for. And even then, you can still pick them off if you're patient enough with them. I did have a problem with the ammo maxes on some of the guns, though. I can't count how many times I've seen the "full" icon.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rorschach said:
Play it on hard!

I didn't see anything wrong with the subs...yeah, you can't fight long distance very well with them, but that's not what they're for. And even then, you can still pick them off if you're patient enough with them. I did have a problem with the ammo maxes on some of the guns, though. I can't count how many times I've seen the "full" icon.

Okay, to keep a fresh perspective I just ran through HL2: Lost Coast again.

The sort of trend we have going now in quality FPSes is that you are lethal and so are your enemies. FEAR does this very well; it leaves the slow motion handicap in there for noobs, but as far as the core combat mechanics go it's ace. None of the guns there feel gimped at all, and if you're fast and accurate you can take any normal enemy out very quickly. SiN Emergence too...you and your enemies are truly lethal and you don't have any gimped weapons.

Playing through HL2 Lost Coast just now, though, I get the feeling that the SMG is totally useless and so is the 9mm pistol. For the most part I just used the secondary shotgun attack which instakills at short-medium and the crossbow/magnum for long range (or just ignored the long range enemies). The SMG has a firing rate of around 900rpm from what I can tell, but it doesn't stun enemies at all (like a shitload of bullets should, body armor or no), takes forever to kill 'em, and is so inherently inaccurate that it's only good close up. Why would I use that gun unless I had to, when the shotgun is so much more effective for close range?

I mean, the main purpose of most SMGs is to get a lot of lead out there quickly in close quarters while maintaining stability. I play GRAW PC and the little MP5SD is a damn fun weapon to use. High ROF and stability makes it a point and kill weapon while running around at short-medium ranges, with the down side being that often ~15 rounds in a fast burst are expended to kill a dude rather than the one or two you'd use with a precision assault rifle.

Really, I hate weapon implementations like many of the HL2 guns that have that huge built-in inaccuracy, like the bullets exit the barrel at 45 degree angles almost. Give me recoil instead and make it something that can be compensated somewhat through skill. And I might be talking about the SMG in particular too much, but that's pretty much the gun you get the most ammo for in HL2 from what I remember.

For its time it may have had good enough shooting mechanics, but it's not really feeling all that great in general today. The lack of feedback really hurts too...IIRC there's just a little twitching when enemies get hit and nothing else.

Rorschach

EviLore said:
Okay, to keep a fresh perspective I just ran through HL2: Lost Coast again.

The sort of trend we have going now in quality FPSes is that you are lethal and so are your enemies. FEAR does this very well; it leaves the slow motion handicap in there for noobs, but as far as the core combat mechanics go it's ace. None of the guns there feel gimped at all, and if you're fast and accurate you can take any normal enemy out very quickly. SiN Emergence too...you and your enemies are truly lethal and you don't have any gimped weapons.

Playing through HL2 Lost Coast just now, though, I get the feeling that the SMG is totally useless and so is the 9mm pistol. For the most part I just used the secondary shotgun attack which instakills at short-medium and the crossbow/magnum for long range (or just ignored the long range enemies). The SMG has a firing rate of around 900rpm from what I can tell, but it doesn't stun enemies at all (like a shitload of bullets should, body armor or no), takes forever to kill 'em, and is so inherently inaccurate that it's only good close up. Why would I use that gun unless I had to, when the shotgun is so much more effective for close range?

I mean, the main purpose of most SMGs is to get a lot of lead out there quickly in close quarters while maintaining stability. I play GRAW PC and the little MP5SD is a damn fun weapon to use. High ROF and stability makes it a point and kill weapon while running around at short-medium ranges, with the down side being that often ~15 rounds in a fast burst are expended to kill a dude rather than the one or two you'd use with a precision assault rifle.

Really, I hate weapon implementations like many of the HL2 guns that have that huge built-in inaccuracy, like the bullets exit the barrel at 45 degree angles almost. Give me recoil instead and make it something that can be compensated somewhat through skill. And I might be talking about the SMG in particular too much, but that's pretty much the gun you get the most ammo for in HL2 from what I remember.

For its time it may have had good enough shooting mechanics, but it's not really feeling all that great in general today. The lack of feedback really hurts too...IIRC there's just a little twitching when enemies get hit and nothing else.
Well, I didn't think the pistol was useless. There were a lot of times when all I was left with was a pistol and it was fun getting myself out of those situations with just a pistol and crowbar. The pistol does decent work on regular enemies...just aim for the head or parasite. It won't do much to the more fast and powerful enemies, but I don't think it should be like the halo pistol. I would use it all the time to conserve ammo.

As for the shotgun, it runs out of bullets fast, has a long time between shots (especially the secondary mode), and is completely useless at long range. At medium range it does not instakill all enemies either. The smg did ok by me at medium range (which is what I thought it was meant for: mid/short hectic combat) and I could use it for long range when push came to shove. Also, the secondary firing for the smg very powerful and much more abundant throughout than the assault rifle's.

I don't know how you got away with just leaving enemies alone...if I did that, they would either come after me or get me as I was running away. I would at least stun or distract them.

The gun I did have a few problems with was the Assault Rifle. You could only get the secondary off of elite soldiers, it didn't have that much kick to it, and it didn't have the acc or scope that I wanted. Oh, and give us a REAL sniper rifle...the bow sucks. I hardly ever used it.

BTW- you're gonna hate gears of war. Nothing even gets a flinch out of the enemies except the shotgun XD

PS: HAVE YOU PEOPLE BEEN PLAYING CS WITHOUT ME?! I HATE YOU!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rorschach said:
Well, I didn't think the pistol was useless. There were a lot of times when all I was left with was a pistol and it was fun getting myself out of those situations with just a pistol and crowbar. The pistol does decent work on regular enemies...just aim for the head or parasite. It won't do much to the more fast and powerful enemies, but I don't think it should be like the halo pistol. I would use it all the time to conserve ammo.

As for the shotgun, it runs out of bullets fast, has a long time between shots (especially the secondary mode), and is completely useless at long range. At medium range it does not instakill all enemies either. The smg did ok by me at medium range (which is what I thought it was meant for: mid/short hectic combat) and I could use it for long range when push came to shove. Also, the secondary firing for the smg very powerful and much more abundant throughout than the assault rifle's.

I don't know how you got away with just leaving enemies alone...if I did that, they would either come after me or get me as I was running away. I would at least stun or distract them.

The gun I did have a few problems with was the Assault Rifle. You could only get the secondary off of elite soldiers, it didn't have that much kick to it, and it didn't have the acc or scope that I wanted. Oh, and give us a REAL sniper rifle...the bow sucks. I hardly ever used it.

BTW- you're gonna hate gears of war. Nothing even gets a flinch out of the enemies except the shotgun XD

PS: HAVE YOU PEOPLE BEEN PLAYING CS WITHOUT ME?! I HATE YOU!

Keep in mind that I was talking about HL2: Lost Coast just now, since that's a quick 5-10 minute run to get the combat mechanics fresh in my mind since I haven't played HL2 since it came out. In regular HL2 I wouldn't leave enemies alone unless it was during the boat/buggy sequences or whatever when I'd be leaving the area shortly.

In HL2 proper I ended up using the 9mm pistol a lot for long range since it's one of the only weapons that doesn't have the whole "bullets exit the barrel at 45 degree angles" BS. So I'd just use suit zoom to center a target, unzoom, then fire with the pistol. Really though I shouldn't have to be doing that all the time if the game is designed well.

After playing SiN Emergence the delay on the shotgun secondary seems short to me, heh.

Anyway, I'll probably play through HL2 again on hard before Episode One hits. If the AI really is improved on that difficulty...

Xdrive05

Third teaser now available.

Restart STEAM and check the media section.

:)

image14rx.jpg

image28gf.jpg

image32sw.jpg

Top Bottom