• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2: Episode 1 Goes Gold (New Teaser Trailer up)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Well, I just paid about $17/18 dollars for it over Steam.

Gamespot has their preview up too: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2aftermath/news.html?sid=6151983

And some cool screens: (might be spoilerish for some)

914642_20060530_screen048.jpg

914642_20060530_screen034.jpg

914642_20060530_screen002.jpg

914642_20060530_screen024.jpg

EDIT: For some reason I'm really thinking of Ganon's Castle (OOT) when looking at that last pic :D

Ark-AMN

Banned
Here's some tidbits from GI and GS for those who don't want to head there:

GI:
it took us approximately 5-6 hours to complete on the medium and easy settings (I played it on medium and Nick played it on easy). Back at the Game Developers Conference when we interviewed Gabe Newell, he said that it took him around seven hours to complete it in his latest play through. We’re estimating that the average gamer should be able to complete it in no more than six hours, but for higher difficulty settings it could take longer.

Episode One plays quite differently from Half-Life 2 in the sense that it’s a single player cooperative game with Alyx. Throughout most of the episode, you and Alyx will team together to solve puzzles, cover each other, and take on waves of enemies. The AI for Alyx is quite intelligent, and when you encounter an obstacle she knows what you are trying to accomplish.

One of the elements that many gamers were upset about was load times between sections. Taking into consideration the variance between everyone’s PCs, Valve has reworked things after looking at the data they received from the hardware surveys they conduct. By automatically defragmenting files that the game uses, it has allowed for a 7 times performance increase in load times.

GS:
The team dynamic that results with this is an interesting change of pace from Half-Life's traditional lone-wolf gameplay, as you often have to rely on her to give you cover while you tackle the many different types of tactical and environmental puzzles throughout the game.

Spending so much time with Alyx also has the benefit of helping to flesh out the story better. Not only do you have someone to provide a running commentary of what's going on, but you also grow more attached to Alyx and her sense of humor. Don't worry about missing out on other old friends, though, because all the major characters from Half-Life 2 make an appearance, including one or two that you don't expect. The original top-notch voice cast is back, and the script provides even more character warmth and humor than before. (Dr. Kleiner's cameo is a particular hoot.) Meanwhile, if you were hoping that Gordon Freeman would get a voice, forget about it. As ever, since the entire episode takes place from Freeman's perspective, and since you play the game in Freeman's shoes, providing a voice would ruin the immersion of the game.

Linkark07

Banned
This was posted 2 days after Valve made the announcement.

So, that means episode 1 + 2 days later = Half Life 3 confirmed...

Bah, Half Life 3 will never come. Gotta admit it guys. The dream is dead.

I thought episode 1 was a little better than 2. Then again I haven't played either in forever and this bump reminded me that they exist.

ArjanN

Some day Half-Life 3 may come out. But one thing is for sure, when it does
Sycoraxic98 will still be a junior member.

I thought episode 1 was a little better than 2. Then again I haven't played either in forever and this bump reminded me that they exist.

I felt 2 overall was better than 1; but the Strider defense mission at the end was really misconceived imo. 1 had the problem of just feeling like 'more' HL2, whereas episode 2 felt more like a new experience.

I can't seriously believe Valve planned and was working on a game 10 years ago, and we haven't heard a single thing about its progress or whether it's coming... FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS. Dear god, we're all old as hell. And we're gonna die before this game ever sees the light of day. :/

I can't seriously believe Valve planned and was working on a game 10 years ago, and we haven't heard a single thing about its progress or whether it's coming... FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS. Dear god, we're all old as hell. And we're gonna die before this game ever sees the light of day. :/

For comparison, the original iPhone launched on June 29th, 2007.

That means every iteration of iOS, every single app on the app store and every single iPhone, iPad and iPod touch has been made and sold in the time since Episode 3 was meant to come out.

Top Bottom