• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 fan retranslation is complete

CO_Andy

Screen%2BShot%2B05-17-15%2Bat%2B09.20%2BPM.PNG

Grab it here -- http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Why change Guard to Protect o.o?

Can fans claim professionalism?

Do they default Aeris's name as Aerith? >_>

Keep in mind that this translation is really from the ground up. Done by exclusively using the original Japanese. Some things you like may have changed but this translation will be MUCH easier to parse than the original.

Gestahl

Is this the one by some insane dipshit who was trying to expel Cait-Sith completely from the game and turn Reeves's name into Judas or Lucifer or some crap or is it one that actually deserves attention

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Might give it a try if I feel the desire to replay this.

Really hoping a good, well balanced difficulty mod comes along eventually, that would give me some motivation to replay. The game is so easy that it's just not fun to play.

zeioIIDX

off course there'd be a fan retranslation. First I've heard of this but that's pretty sweet actually. Oddly enough, I don't recall ever having trouble getting through the story or dialogue due to localization problems and typos. I did notice some stuff but it wasn't too distracting. Then again, I was in 7th grade the first time I played it so...

I don't remember some of these. Particularly this guy are sick. Did we get a different translation in PAL territories or something or is my memory just failing me? More importantly, is any of the story lost in translation? This is one of my favorite games so if it has any meaningful changes I'd go for another run.

Mman235

Is this the one by some insane dipshit who was trying to expel Cait-Sith completely from the game and turn Reeves's name into Judas or Lucifer or some crap or is it one that actually deserves attention

That's what I was wondering to, but I guess not as there would probably be more mention of that if it was done.

Am pleasantly surprised this is for the Steam version. Thought it would be an IPS patch for the PSX version or something. Don't think I would have bothered if that had been the case.

I like how it's a retranslation yet they can't spell Shinra the same way in the same text box. Off to a good start.

Perhaps "Shinra" is the President's name and "Shin-Ra" is the company's name? Don't know if it's intentional but they could have been trying to make that distinction.

Khayam

Banned
Dat moment when a fan translation is professional and the professional one is piss poor.

What a world to live in.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice. I still haven't touched FF7 on Steam yet, so I might nab this after I'm done with FF13.

Good excuse to play it all over again and see what differences there are. I imagine a lot of the humour I found in Barrett's dialogue will be gone.

Why change Guard to Protect o.o?

So it makes sense when you consider the spell Protect has always been Protect.

Gestahl

That's what I was wondering to, but I guess not as there would probably be more mention of that if it was done.

Yeah I think that was a complete overhaul mod because of fucking course it would be so maybe it's not this if it's just a retranslation

I don't remember some of these. Particularly this guy are sick. Did we get a different translation in PAL territories or something or is my memory just failing me? More importantly, is any of the story lost in translation? This is one of my favorite games so if it has any meaningful changes I'd go for another run.

it was in all PS1 versions. even PAL.

Who the hell willingly makes her name Aerith.

People who are right.

What bothers me is that there's an assumption in the official English version that her name ends with an S, so when they use the possessive form, it's only an apostrophe at the end without a following S even when the name has been corrected.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Perhaps "Shinra" is the President's name and "Shin-Ra" is the company's name? Don't know if it's intentional but they could have been trying to make that distinction.

That distinction wouldn't have been in the Japanese version. They didn't spell his name in text with upper and lower case roman characters, of course. They only put it in roman characters for the logo of the company like most Japanese companies do, and Shin and Ra are indeed the two characters in the name.

But when it comes to naming him in English, ShinRa just looks stupid.

I don't think this is really something that should have been "fixed".

fvng

it sucks that they spent so much effort retranslating a game like FF7 when games like Echo Night 2 sit on the shelf untranslated. It's cool for people that want 100% accuracy, but the original script is endearing

That distinction wouldn't have been in the Japanese version. They didn't spell his name in text with upper and lower case roman characters, of course. They only put it in roman characters for the logo of the company like most Japanese companies do, and Shin and Ra are indeed the two characters in the name.

But when it comes to naming him in English, ShinRa just looks stupid.

I don't think this is really something that should have been "fixed".

Doesn't mean they can't have different official romanizations

Trying to install this myself right now, but I'm a little confused during the setup process. It has at BEACAUSE - RETRANSLATION PROJECT, and then it has optional things I can check underneath like American English, Incorrect Major character names...etc... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to check those to install the mod.

Top Bottom