• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie hired David Cross (Tobias, Arrested Dev) to write jokes for Destiny, used none

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IGN said:
From the sounds of it, Destiny could have been a much funnier game. That's because comedians David Cross and Brian Posehn apparently spent "a couple of days" writing witty one-lines for Ghost.

"Brian Posehn and I got asked and jumped at the chance," he explained. "We were flown up to Bellevue, Washington to do a punch-up on the Ghost character in Destiny about a year ago. We were both very excited about it. They did not use a single, solitary thing that we wrote, which is a shame because we wrote some stuff that – you know, we’re gamers, and they… – I would imagine somebody somewhere said, 'We can’t inject this levity or humour into it.'

"But it’s a shame because I’ve played Destiny quite a bit. I haven’t played since I’ve been over here and working on Bob and David, but you know when it came out I was way into it and way excited about it, and when you’re at an hour 20 of that thing, it’s like the Ghost is kind of monotone saying this thing, 'We must get over the ridge. That’s the cabal – we’ve got to defeat him.' Whatever, it’s boring as sh*t, and I speak for myself and Brian, and I know thousands if not millions of other gamers would be like 'It would be nice to have a joke or something in there.' You think we’re going to f*ck with the tone? But it was very exciting to go up there and get paid to play a video game a year before it came out."

As for the approach that they took to the dialogue, Cross said "Some of it was self-reverential. And it was just stuff that was making us laugh. We were in a room, we’d play a lot, and some of it was winking to gamers. I truly don’t remember any of it. They were just sort of riffy one-liners that Brian and I were coming up with... And a lot of them – we were there for a couple of days so we offered a bunch of stuff up."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/01/david-cross-discusses-efforts-to-make-ghost-funny-in-destiny

Wag

giphy.gif

it's so discouraging to think the money they threw away on resources they didn't use is probably more than my annual income lol.

Knowing some of their humor I'm not entirely surprised, though it makes me wonder if who was calling the shots for dialogue for Ghost might have been a bit tone deaf to it at the same time.

what the fuck. I might have at least beat the campaign before rage-deleting if it at least had humor.

They don't have time to explain why they don't have time to explain. I'm not sure what the intended tone of that line was. I have to assume it's Bungie humour

This is terrible, especially considering how boring the dialogue in the game actually is, and the fact that this stuff was there for the taking.

Trace

Banned
God the initial release of Destiny was such a shitshow.

I do wonder if those rumors about the game basically being remade in a year and a bit are true.

I would have loved to hear Dinklebot singing How High the Mountain.

Damn. I'm disappointed that not only did they waste money on content not in the game for a game that is already pretty barren, but that David and Brian jokes could have been in the game. Patrols and stuff is so boring with the ghost, not to mention missions given from Factions that mean nothing IN the game (yes I know there is lore outside the game on them). Smh.

Tapejara

I can understand not wanting to put self-referential/self aware humour into the game, but Bungie's writing for Ghost was just so bland. House of Wolves was so much better without Dinklege.

Top Bottom