• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you go back to loving racing games after trying a racing wheel? :/

Fredrik

So my only previous experience with a racing steering wheel was a simple plastic non force feedback wheel back in the early PS1 days, but yesterday I tried a Thrustmaster TX with PC Dirt 3 and XB1 Forza 5, my first ever force feedback experience.

And Oh My God! It was soooo cool! And the power in that thing was crazy, I really had to battle the turns! And the little nuances when you can feel the tires losing the grip and then getting the grip back. Simply mind-blowing! :)

Sadly though, I honestly don't know if/how it's possible to go back to using a controller now though :/ I tried Driveclub with the controller later and I can't even describe the disappointment, the staleness, there was no feeling at all and it was just plain boring :(

And unfortunately I have no table suitable to mount a racing wheel on (too thick for the mounting brackets) and no room for a complete racing chair plus wheel/pedals setup either. :(

What do I do now? I love the genre but it feels like I unknowingly opened the pandoras box and there is no turning back now :(

sigh

However, I did spot a couple of different wheel stands on ebay, without the chair, only for the steering wheel and pedal base, that you could stand infront of the sofa when gaming and then fold and tuck away under the sofa when done. Right now it feels like I need something like that if I'm going to find my interest for racing games again.

But are those sturdy enough for these types of force feedback wheels? Does anyone here have any experience using those stands? Are they stable or do they move around in hard turns? I guess they look okay in the ads videos but being the sceptic I am I tend to think they're fake and the force feedback was inactivated when recording. :p

You learn to withdraw hundreds of $ from your bank account ;)

I still do both controller and wheel, mainly when I'm looking for a more laid back experience I use the controller.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I have a wheel stand pro and it's fine for my entry level stuff (with force feedback.)

Also I can go back to controller, even though wheel is obviously superior.

PreFire

I always wanted a sim racer arcade in my home, specifically the Ferrari game with manual shifting (clutch) 3 screens and force feedback on everything.

I'm going to get a wheel stand pro soon. Driving with controllers on consoles will be a thing of yesterday.

Korezo

I don't even take out my wheel anymore thanks to Logitech not having ps4 support and pcars being terrible on wheel. So I just play driveclub with a controller, waiting for vr to bring out the wheel again.

anx10us

Banned
So my only previous experience with a racing steering wheel was a simple plastic non force feedback wheel back in the early PS1 days, but yesterday I tried a Thrustmaster TX with PC Dirt 3 and XB1 Forza 5, my first ever force feedback experience.

And Oh My God! It was soooo cool! And the power in that thing was crazy, I really had to battle the turns! And the little nuances when you can feel the tires losing the grip and then getting the grip back. Simply mind-blowing! :)

Sadly though, I honestly don't know if/how it's possible to go back to using a controller now though :/ I tried Driveclub with the controller later and I can't even describe the disappointment, the staleness, there was no feeling at all and it was just plain boring :(

And unfortunately I have no table suitable to mount a racing wheel on (too thick for the mounting brackets) and no room for a complete racing chair plus wheel/pedals setup either. :(

What do I do now? I love the genre but it feels like I unknowingly opened the pandoras box and there is no turning back now :(

sigh

However, I did spot a couple of different wheel stands on ebay, without the chair, only for the steering wheel and pedal base, that you could stand infront of the sofa when gaming and then fold and tuck away under the sofa when done. Right now it feels like I need something like that if I'm going to find my interest for racing games again.

But are those sturdy enough for these types of force feedback wheels? Does anyone here have any experience using those stands? Are they stable or do they move around in hard turns? I guess they look okay in the ads videos but being the sceptic I am I tend to think they're fake and the force feedback was inactivated when recording. :p

For a bit more money get the Playseat Challenge, its a raceseat that folds flat, it much more family friendly http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-thrustmaster-t300rs/playseat-challenge-thrustmaster-t300rs-racing-wheel.html

Its more money but it a proper seat, when finished it all folds nearly flat and can be put behind a door or in a cupboard. I have one with a 300RS and its brilliant .... takes a minute to setup, when finished hide it away. I'm like you in that I could never go back to racing with a controller, nothing beats the feeling of grabbing a proper drift with a wheel ...

I have a Wheel Stand Pro. It's rock solid. In addition to the weight of the pedals and stand itself, your feet also act as a counterweight. The construction is solid enough that you never feel like you can't go all out in battleing the force feedback. When I'm not using it, I can just fold it down and slide it under my desk in like 30 seconds. If you are not ready to get a more serious setup, it absolutely does the job.

Fredrik

You learn to withdraw hundreds of $ from your bank account ;)

I still do both controller and wheel, mainly when I'm looking for a more laid back experience I use the controller.
:p And you need two set of steering wheels, one for PS4 and one for XB1, right? $600 ouch :S

About the controller, do you really want a laid back experience when racing a high powered race car? I thought it was a great feeling that you had to sit at the edge of the seat so to speak and really focus on your driving :) I guess that was what was lacking when using the controller later on. Might be tiresome in the long run though, I just tried it for maybe an hour.

Fredrik

For a bit more money get the Playseat Challenge, its a raceseat that folds flat, it much more family friendly http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-thrustmaster-t300rs/playseat-challenge-thrustmaster-t300rs-racing-wheel.html

Its more money but it a proper seat, when finished it all folds nearly flat and can be put behind a door or in a cupboard. I have one with a 300RS and its brilliant .... takes a minute to setup, when finished hide it away. I'm like you in that I could never go back to racing with a controller, nothing beats the feeling of grabbing a proper drift with a wheel ...
Hmm, interesting! Still a bit too big though since I would have to place it infront of the sofa, but I'll search some videos of it to get a better understanding on the size etc.

Fredrik

I have a Wheel Stand Pro. It's rock solid. In addition to the weight of the pedals and stand itself, your feet also act as a counterweight. The construction is solid enough that you never feel like you can't go all out in battleing the force feedback. When I'm not using it, I can just fold it down and slide it under my desk in like 30 seconds. If you are not ready to get a more serious setup, it absolutely does the job.
Sounds awesome, thanks for that! That was one of the ones I saw a video of. It looked great but like I said I couldn't quite trust the positiveness in the video :p I'll look into it a bit more now. Seems compatible with a bunch of steering wheels too.

Fredrik

I don't even take out my wheel anymore thanks to Logitech not having ps4 support and pcars being terrible on wheel. So I just play driveclub with a controller, waiting for vr to bring out the wheel again.
What about Thrustmaster, I only tried with the TX wheel on XB1 and PC, is there a Thrustmaster wheel for PS4 too that works with Driveclub?

Resseh

Meh. I've just moved into a house with a separate annex which had been converted into a gaming room. But it's too small to have an arcade cabinet, pool table and Gaming cockpit with steering wheel.

So I'm selling the steering wheel and that will probably be me done with racing games now as I couldn't ever go back to using a controller :(

Fredrik

The T300 is the PS4 equivalent of the TX.
Cool, I get that the Logitech wheels are awesome but I liked the TX so T300 will do fine too for me. Only problem is do you get a T300 or TX? The prices on these things are nuts. Buying both is not an option right now. Why can't they get them to work on both consoles? They're both using USB standards and they're both PC compatible. Annoying!
Maybe I'll start with the TX and get the T300 or it's later iterations whenever GT7 comes out. Sigh, this must be one of the most expensive hobbies :S

Cool, I get that the Logitech wheels are awesome but I liked the TX so T300 will do fine too for me. Only problem is do you get a T300 or TX? The prices on these things are nuts. Buying both is not an option right now. Why can't they get them to work on both consoles? They're both using USB standards and they're both PC compatible. Annoying!
Maybe I'll start with the TX and get the T300 or it's later iterations whenever GT7 comes out. Sigh, this must be one of the most expensive hobbies :S

I use the Thrustmaster T80 for Driveclub. Takes some getting used to, but good wheel, even if it is just using bungie-cord feedback!

Fredrik

http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-challenge-seats/playseat-challenge-racing-seat.html

I got one of these, they are surprisingly stable and comfortable when sitting in it. Also th bonus is that it folds away, even with the thrustmaster tx wheel and peddles attached.
Seems great, in a better room I'd do it but I'll have to settle with a wheel stand without the chair for now, I don't think I could fit even a smaller chair unfolded infront of the sofa so it would be better to use the sofa to sit on and a stand instead of the annoyingly thick table.

Jimrpg

Had to go back to a controller for Driveclub and it was fine. The slight arcadeyness in that game means that a controller felt ok for me.

Does anyone feel like they get on the accelerator quicker though with a controller over pedals? I haven't compared the two but there's a lot more travel in the pedals vs. shoulder buttons or even the 'x' button.

I'm also taking my G27 back overseas and putting it with my new PC for the first time. I've been waiting six months. Can't wait to play Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa with a wheel finally on decent settings and 100fps+.

Also all I'm missing now is the chair and wheel stand... Man I would totally love one but it's about US$500-600 to get it shipped to where I am.

You can't go back, there are only 2 possible situations where you will not miss the enhanced experience.

1. You become lazy, for whatever reason you don't want to use anything except your hands/thumbs.

2. You play arcaderacers, depending on the title, it doesn't matter there or a controller is even preferable.

The only 2 console solution is the Fanatec clubsport V1 & V2 wheels with the XB1 adapter, but after its all said and done you're looking at ~$1,000. Now if you are only interested in GT you could buy a TX which is ~$300 and when GT comes out in a year or 2 and look for one of the used last Gen Fanatec wheels for use on ps4 for maybe $200 (pedals included) or the Thrustmaster T100 for $150. What every you do don't go the non FFB route and don't listen to anyone trying to sell you on a adapter they don't work for FFB.

deim0s

Be creative and go DIY man.

O94Yv6O.jpg

Seriously, there are some DIY stuff floating around to prop up your racing wheel and your chair (or buy a used car seat). If you got cash, just buy something like this: http://www.wheelstandpro.us/

Whilst I love Driveclub, I've hardly played it. I have a G25 and I so much want to play with a wheel that I always feel I'm missing out when I play. This forces me to play something else instead.

I like it that much I want to buy the season pass but have resisted as I've not fully completed the main game yet - something I may never do because of the aforementioned reason.

If my G25 became useable, I'd buy the season pass and love the fuck out of it.

Gutted.

Fredrik

Be creative and go DIY man.

O94Yv6O.jpg

Seriously, there are some DIY stuff floating around to prop up your racing wheel and your chair (or buy a used car seat). If you got cash, just buy something like this: http://www.wheelstandpro.us/
Heheh that's awesome.

This video review of wheel stand pro makes it sound pretty great. Howerever, you do see the base with the pedals lifting from the ground at 2:33 so it seems it can't quite handle the weight of the wheel. He says it's not causing any real problems though so maybe I'm nitpicking a bit here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4wIAiSxs0

Heheh that's awesome.

This video review of wheel stand pro makes it sound pretty great. Howerever, you do see the base with the pedals lifting from the ground at 2:33 so it seems it can't quite handle the weight of the wheel. He says it's not causing any real problems though so maybe I'm nitpicking a bit here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4wIAiSxs0

At the end of the day, it is still a single column stand that doesn't weigh more than 8 kg or so total, so it won't be as solid as a cockpit or something that is mounted to the same base as your seat. But I can tell you that it is a lot more solid than having it mounted to a table, and the slight movement is hardly noticeable. And I have yet to turn so hard that I moved mine enough to actually perceive it.

I'm constantly having an internal discussion with myself about getting another wheel but the whole logistics of it all, and the recent console compatibility bollocks has put me right off. I also seem to be getting a huge amount of satisfaction from driving sims smoothly with a controller currently.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I have a wheel stand pro and it's fine for my entry level stuff (with force feedback.)

Also I can go back to controller, even though wheel is obviously superior.

I even sold my G27 (and my Wheel Stand Pro) when it turned out to incompatible to next-gen consoles.

Honestly, I often times prefer the controller. Getting out the Wheel Stand Pro, setting it up, getting stuff out of the way to make room for it, plugging it in to power and console, adjusting it several times to get comfortable again, putting it back in storage after playing, etc... Sometimes it is just too cumbersome, especially when you just want to get a quick racing fix. A controller is way more comfortable, and with good triggers it is fun too.

A dedicated racing rig would be the ultimate solution, but that only makes sense for gamers with serious dedication. And space. No way I am putting such a thing in my living room, lol.

Memnoch

Actually, I prefer the controller to my wheel. I'll have to dig it out again and give it another chance now that I have project cars.

Tayaya

I love playing with a good wheel setup, but honestly unless racing games are your primary genre and you don't play much else, dragging the setup out and putting it away over and over again becomes a pain in the ass. Or, if you live in a small place like I do, finding a place to store it when not in use becomes very challenging.

I still play with a controller, and probably will for the forseeable future! And honestly, I am just fine with that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same. I didn't use my DFGT with wheelstand pro that much for similar reasons. Also I never really enjoyed it. It felt more like some motors pushing me around than an actual steering wheel feeding back sensations to me. Maybe the better wheels feel a lot better?

I will probably reconsider when VR comes out, providing impressions are positive (I'm a little concerned about low resolution panels making it difficult to see in the mid distance)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Eh, driving a real car to it's limit and than going back to a game is worse.

Pads do have their advantages over wheels though mostly through convenience.

+1 for the Wheel Stand Pro. Though the glory days of relatively inexpensive steering wheels are over now, since the DFGT isn't supported on current-gen consoles at all (nor is the 360 wheel). I had to play Forza 5/Horizon 2 and Driveclub on controllers. At least Forza drove pretty well for me, so it's not impossible to go back.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
simple: you dont.

Pretty much. Since buying my G27 wheel for my PC I've found that I'm only playing my racing games that support the wheel anymore. Race games that I used to love playing with the 360 pad but don't support my wheel, well I just don't play them now. And games that really use the FFB on the wheel to fantastic effect get played more. This is the reason why DiRT Rally is now my favorite racing game out of my entire collection, it's fucking awesome with my G27.

Once you use a wheel you are spoiled for life.

Fredrik

At the end of the day, it is still a single column stand that doesn't weigh more than 8 kg or so total, so it won't be as solid as a cockpit or something that is mounted to the same base as your seat. But I can tell you that it is a lot more solid than having it mounted to a table, and the slight movement is hardly noticeable. And I have yet to turn so hard that I moved mine enough to actually perceive it.
Great, sounds good enough for me, thanks! A wheel stand pro plus tx wheel it is then :)

Fredrik

I love playing with a good wheel setup, but honestly unless racing games are your primary genre and you don't play much else, dragging the setup out and putting it away over and over again becomes a pain in the ass. Or, if you live in a small place like I do, finding a place to store it when not in use becomes very challenging.

I still play with a controller, and probably will for the forseeable future! And honestly, I am just fine with that.
I guess it depends on the genre. I used to be fine with using a controller and has been loving the racing genre for 20 years doing so, but for me it was like a slap in the face going back to the controller yesterday in Driveclub. I couldn't even bother finishing the race, after like 2 minutes I just quit and powered off the console :/ But I doubt I would have reacted the same way playing Ridge Racer, Burnout, Mario Kart, Wipeout etc, which probably wouldn't benefit much from the added realism in the feedback since they aren't based in reality anyway. I'll try Forza Horizon 2 when I finally get the gear up and running, it's more arcadey than Driveclub but might still be fun with a wheel I think.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yep. I've had no issues with mine. I have no interest in a cockpit etc. don't have the space and I'm not that into racing games to justify it. Even the wheel and stand was a stretch for me.

Defco 7T

Neo Member
I don't. Once you've played with a wheel there's no going back. Sadly because of that I have not played a racing game since Ralleysport challenge 2.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also have been unable to go back. I pretty much haven't even bother touching or buying a modern racing game until I get a new compatible wheel first.

StonedRider

Thanks to the Logitech wheel situation on PS4 I've learned to go back to controller :/

Thanks to the Logitech wheel situation on PS4 I upgraded my PC and bought Assetto Corsa and I'm so glad I did it (I have G25)! I will never buy any racing game for PS4 and any peripherial device from Logitech again until my G25 will be compatible with PS4.

I got a Thrustmaster T500RS for around $150 new from Microcenter a year or two ago. Set it up and then realized how ridiculous I felt and how much space I was taking up. Ended up selling it for about $400. If I could dedicate a room to it I'd probably try again, but having to move crap around in the living room each time I used it just wasn't worth it to me.

Fredrik

I got a Thrustmaster T500RS for around $150 new from Microcenter a year or two ago. Set it up and then realized how ridiculous I felt and how much space I was taking up. Ended up selling it for about $400. If I could dedicate a room to it I'd probably try again, but having to move crap around in the living room each time I used it just wasn't worth it to me.
Moving furniture in the living room is a no-no for me too, that's why a racing chair was out of the question, I would have to lift a huge table over a sofa to fit it :S

But for the PC, my desk already look ridiculous with three screens and an Amiga so a racing wheel would fit in quite nicely ;P The wheel stand pro will be perfect here I think :) (ordered now btw)
TtTNOBV.jpg

Top Bottom