• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you go back to loving racing games after trying a racing wheel? :/

spuckthew

Using a pad feels like a tainted experience after being used to a wheel for so long. Not least because I started driving IRL shortly after my first wheel experience some years ago and it doesn't feel natural for me to drive with a pad anymore. It's a similar feeling to driving automatic IRL having been used to manual/stick-shift: it's not as fun and removes something fundamental from the driving experience.

tl;dr.. You don't. Better save up!

Can't you just pull the draw out and clamp the wheel to the table top? It doesn't look that thick to me. How much do the wheel clamps open? I know the G27 clamps are shit as mine wouldn't clamp on my 2" thick worktop, I had to drill a 2mm hole for a bolt and wing nut a 15mm ply base:

untitled-1fnj0b.jpg

I'm sorry, I'm sure modern racing wheels are cool as hell, but I hate peripherals. Finding someplace to store the sodding thing, having a place big enough to have a good set up in front of your TV, then when you're done putting it all away again. That's why I sold my Ace Combat Flight stick, its why I sold my big box copy of Steel Battalion. Very cool peripherals, but apparently I'm a lazy gamer. I want to sit down and play. And I love racing games, its my favorite genre, but seriously eff the hassle.

This probably speaks to why I'm strictly a console gamer as opposed to PC. And please, this is only my personal take, I don't expect a lot of people to agree and I'm not saying I'm right, you're wrong.

Fredrik

Can't you just pull the draw out and clamp the wheel to the table top? It doesn't look that thick to me. How much do the wheel clamps open? I know the G27 clamps are shit as mine wouldn't clamp on my 2" thick worktop, I had to drill a 2mm hole for a bolt and wing nut a 15mm ply base:

untitled-1fnj0b.jpg
I have the drawer as a keyboard and mouse shelf now with the wires coming out in the back, so it would be a bit of a hassle mounting the wheel, I would have to rewire kb+m, move them up on the table, move the Amiga somewhere to make room for the steering wheel, and then manage to fasten the wheel bolts inside the drawer every time I want to play a racing game. Manageable but not ideal. But too many here were positive about the wheel stand pro so I've decided to give that plus Thrustmaster TX a chance instead now. $450 in total. Ouch. But I can't wait for the stuff to arrive! Fun times ahead :)

Fredrik

I'm sorry, I'm sure modern racing wheels are cool as hell, but I hate peripherals. Finding someplace to store the sodding thing, having a place big enough to have a good set up in front of your TV, then when you're done putting it all away again. That's why I sold my Ace Combat Flight stick, its why I sold my big box copy of Steel Battalion. Very cool peripherals, but apparently I'm a lazy gamer. I want to sit down and play. And I love racing games, its my favorite genre, but seriously eff the hassle.

This probably speaks to why I'm strictly a console gamer as opposed to PC. And please, this is only my personal take, I don't expect a lot of people to agree and I'm not saying I'm right, you're wrong.
I get what you're saying but for me it was either buy a steering wheel or stop playing racing games, at least sim racers. Couldn't go back to controllers. A night and day difference makes the laziness go away for me.

An advice though, if you like racing games, the PC is king in this genre in my opinion and you can use regular 360 pad so if you're okay not using a wheel it's a great gaming platform. Dirt 3, Trackmania, Project Cars, even Flatout, etc at 100 fps is quite okay ;)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thanks to the Logitech wheel situation on PS4 I upgraded my PC and bought Assetto Corsa and I'm so glad I did it (I have G25)! I will never buy any racing game for PS4 and any peripherial device from Logitech again until my G25 will be compatible with PS4.

*THIS* is the correct attitude and perspective you should take, gentlemen. Those of you who are saying things like "Due to the whole Logitech/console lack of support debacle, I gave up on racing games" are truly missing out because there are so many great racing games on PC. The grass is so much greener over here.

The refusal to play ANY racing game with a controller and not a steering wheel has been a stringent rule of mine for at least a decade and I'm damn proud I haven't broken that rule yet! I sold my last wheel(the ECCI 7000) over a year ago due to financial reasons and have not touched a racing game since. I miss my favorite genre dearly, but hopefully it won't be long until I get a new wheel and jump back into the swing of things again(currently saving up for an OSW wheel, fingers crossed).

There is simply nothing like playing racing games with a good solid FFB wheel and pedals. For me it's nothing short of an orgasmic experience.

By the way OP, if you think that Thrustmaster FFB wheel spoiled you rotten, then whatever you do, STAY FAR AWAY from the new higher tier class Direct Drive FFB wheels that are all the rage among the hardcore racing sim crowd. As showcased in the video below, they are SERIOUS BUSINESS and **WILL** cause you to cream your pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnugyXhVsZI

Skyzard

Banned
Laziness :p

Although I just brought back my racing wheel from storage today, getting it ready for some fun this weekend.

I have a wheel stand pro (and still on a g25), but it's still effort :p Not as much with the stand mind.

I like really long desks and I still wouldn't have the space...big mousepads, hotas, mic, headphone stand, dual mons, wiiu/vita/speakers, food plates etc. No space for a wheel. Already got some pedals under the desk for the hotas too lol.

ghibli99

While I prefer a wheel, sometimes I just want to chill with a controller. That being said, I find it impossible to play pCARS with a pad. Gotta use a wheel for that one. Most modern games seem well-configured and calibrated for pads though, so it doesn't really bother me to play them with one.

I don't. Once you've played with a wheel there's no going back. Sadly because of that I have not played a racing game since Ralleysport challenge 2.
Dang. So many good ones since then. :(

I'm sorry, I'm sure modern racing wheels are cool as hell, but I hate peripherals. Finding someplace to store the sodding thing, having a place big enough to have a good set up in front of your TV, then when you're done putting it all away again.

I'm actually more or less in the same boat as you, but with my current PC setup and a wheelstand I can slide the whole thing under my (fairly large) desk in like 1 minute. I get the whole hassle thing, because before when I had to actually mount the thing to my desk, chances of long term use were close to zero. It's kind of the same reason why I am more hopeful for the Oculus Rift than the HTC Vive, because the former seems like it requires less hassle to set up permanently (in my current situation at least.)

I know the G27 clamps are shit as mine wouldn't clamp on my 2" thick worktop.
The clamps on my G27 had a secondary piece that would snap off to make the clamps more versatile. My desk is around 2" (maybe a bit less) and it would fit. That being said, it is no way it would fit OP's desk

Fredrik

By the way OP, if you think that Thrustmaster FFB wheel spoiled you rotten, then whatever you do, STAY FAR AWAY from the new higher tier class Direct Drive FFB wheels that are all the rage among the hardcore racing sim crowd. As showcased in the video below, they are SERIOUS BUSINESS and **WILL** cause you to cream your pants!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnugyXhVsZI
Oh wow! and I thought the Logitech G27 was the best one you could get lol, the hydralics moving the chair as a second layer of FFB was icing on the cake

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been eyeing a T100 for the PS4 lately. Hard to come by since they seemingly are discontinued in favor of the $400 T300 or the cheapo T80(no Force Feedback) which I don't want. That also means a new Wheelstand Pro which nearly doubles the cost.

Had an MS Wheel and WheelStand Pro on 360 for Forza/PGR/etc... and just adored it. Not the best wheel, but it worked extremely well and was a significant difference over a standard controller. Really can't go back and I've been holding off on PCars and Driveclub until I get a PS Wheel setup. Most likely when GT7 arrives I won't be able to resist the cost.

Fredrik

Down the rabbit hole we go...
I just found out that there are add-on steering wheels available, look at this sexy leather wheel *drool*
3ufSFkD.jpg

YuDDqRB.jpg

Qj7Kl3V.jpg

Fredrik

^ Holy... you have that at home?! :eek: Do you know how much it all cost? Or maybe you don't want to think about that ;P
Anyway that is certainly a way to start loving racing games again! ;)

Fredrik

Thanks for pushing me to go forward with this, everything is finally up and running! And it's oooh so awesome! :) Wheel Stand Pro is surprisingly stable too just like some of you said, worth every single penny, it felt a bit wobly when putting it together but feels like it's built like a tank when everything is tightened and you're using it.
All this made me fall in love with some "old" games too. Shift 2 Unleashed, tested it while trying different racing games on the PC, it's more gritty than Forza and GT, lots of shaking effects and more roaring engines, and it really fits the genre I think and is possibly the best racing experience I've had so far! Still lots of games left to try though. Haven't touched Project Cars yet for example. Trackmania is fantastic with a steering wheel too, almost feels like a new game.
Anyhow, thanks GAF! :D
RSvU5Dk.jpg

Luigiv

I'm not sure. I never even used a force feedback wheel before yet but even I can't "go back" to controllers for sims. I just can't get a feel for using triggers for throttle and brakes. Since I have a G27 on order which I expect to get in the next few weeks, I suspect my inability to provide a real answer to the ops question will only get worse.

However, I did spot a couple of different wheel stands on ebay, without the chair, only for the steering wheel and pedal base, that you could stand infront of the sofa when gaming and then fold and tuck away under the sofa when done. Right now it feels like I need something like that if I'm going to find my interest for racing games again.

But are those sturdy enough for these types of force feedback wheels? Does anyone here have any experience using those stands? Are they stable or do they move around in hard turns? I guess they look okay in the ads videos but being the sceptic I am I tend to think they're fake and the force feedback was inactivated when recording. :p

I have a comparatively cheap wheelstand pro and it works great for me, but I understand people who are annoyed by the middle shaft that doesn't allow them to put their legs together and makes left foot braking techniques less comfoetable.

You learn to withdraw hundreds of $ from your bank account ;)
No shit, the year I bought my T500RS[which the wheelstand still handles well btw] was the same year, I bought my Thrustmaster TX. I still could enjoy Forza with a controller, but the speed sensitive steering preventing me to turn in as much as I wanted in some slow corners annoyed me enough to get TX just for Foza games. Don't buy a T500RS though, it's not worth it, at that price point go Fanatec.

Also, Op, get ready to want a better set of pedals if you buy the TX or T300RS and should you go for the TX only then also a wheel-addon.
But be prepared to be disappointed by the FFB in Driveclub(newest F1 too from what I've heard) compared to Forza or Project CARS or even Gran Turismo 5.

Edit: WTF, only saw page 1 of this thread... :(

Vash63

What are my options for a wheel that works with both PC and PS4 right now?

Not Logitech. I don't care if their new wheel supports PS4, I'm pretty bitter that my perfect condition G27 won't work. I won't touch a single racing game on PS4 until this shit gets fixed (if ever).

Fredrik

I have a comparatively cheap wheelstand pro and it works great for me, but I understand people who are annoyed by the middle shaft that doesn't allow them to put their legs together and makes left foot braking techniques less comfoetable.

No shit, the year I bought my T500RS[which the wheelstand still handles well btw] was the same year, I bought my Thrustmaster TX. I still could enjoy Forza with a controller, but the speed sensitive steering preventing me to turn in as much as I wanted in some slow corners annoyed me enough to get TX just for Foza games. Don't buy a T500RS though, it's not worth it, at that price point go Fanatec.

Also, Op, get ready to want a better set of pedals if you buy the TX or T300RS and should you go for the TX only then also a wheel-addon.
But be prepared to be disappointed by the FFB in Driveclub(newest F1 too from what I've heard) compared to Forza or Project CARS or even Gran Turismo 5.

Edit: WTF, only saw page 1 of this thread... :(
I'm a noob, still driving with automatic only, so the 3 pedal addon is kind of overkill right now. But it certainly looks awesome though when skilled people drives with stick plus clutch.

New favorite game the first day with the wheel:
Forza Horizon 2

r0kK6MJ.jpg

FH2 is crazy good with a wheel! So much more fun than with a controller that my earlier negative opinions about the game seems like trolling now! I've been driving around just discovering roads for like 3 hours with the same car without even getting a tiny bit bored. Seems like it was made from the ground up with a wheel in mind. FFB is out of this world! Driving off-road has never been more fun - now I want a Forza rally game! You hear me Turn 10? Forza Rally! Do it! :D

Crayon

Ive had a dfpro since gt4 came out. And while ive got alot of use out of it over the years, it comes out rarely nw because it often leads to nerve pain (sciatica) and unlike most people, my times do not suffer when using a controller.

Fredrik

Good to see some Amiga love! Now try your wheel with Stunt Car Racer and report back.
:p
Yup the Amiga is one of my all-time favorite gaming platforms, my whole gaming interest started with Commodore. :)
Check out my later posts in the official Amiga thread, I've made a step by step list on how to turn an old Amiga 1200 into a modern gaming machine, it's pretty great imo, everything runs from a 8GB Compact Flash card and you can connect it to a flat screen via DVI. The monitor to the right in my last pic above acts as both PC monitor and Amiga monitor.

I'm a noob, still driving with automatic only, so the 3 pedal addon is kind of overkill right now. But it certainly looks awesome though when skilled people drives with stick plus clutch.

New favorite game the first day with the wheel:
Forza Horizon 2
It's crazy good with a wheel! So much more fun than with a controller that my earlier negative opinions about the game seems like trolling now! I've been driving around just discovering roads for like 3 hours with the same car without even getting a tiny bit bored. Seems like it was made from the ground up with a wheel in mind. FFB is out of this world! Driving off-road has never been more fun - now I want a Forza rally game! You hear me Turn 10? Forza Rally! Do it! :D

I absolutely agree. I have the force very low in that game, like 35-40. Doing the bucket list drift skill point challenges feels fantastic in that game.

Once you feel a little saturation there, you should give Project CARS a try (especially since you liked Shift 2), the amount of FFB customization in that game mind-boggling. If the Forza saturation kicks in way after FM6's release, you might wanna check out Assetto Corsa's console release, it seems AC's FFB gets the highest praise of them all from the racing community. I will definitely do that and wasn't able to do it vefore because my graphics card - while still high above cheap notebook standards of nowadays - isn't DX10.1 compatible.

Fredrik

I absolutely agree. I have the force very low in that game, like 35-40. Doing the bucket list drift skill point challenges feels fantastic in that game.

Once you feel a little saturation there, you should give Project CARS a try (especially since you liked Shift 2), the amount of FFB customization in that game mind-boggling. If the Forza saturation kicks in way after FM6's release, you might wanna check out Assetto Corsa's console release, it seems AC's FFB gets the highest praise of them all from the racing community. I will definitely do that and wasn't able to do it vefore because my graphics card - while still high above cheap notebook standards of nowadays - isn't DX10.1 compatible.
Sounds great, I'll definitely try those!

Project Cars is on my wish list in Steam, just haven't bought it yet. I've only had the PC for a year and it started off with being spoiled by Steam Summer Sale prices, so I'm still waiting for a price drop on most games, haven't bought a single game full price on PC yet. :/

Is Assetto Corsa better on console than PC though?
I'm usually buying multiplats on PC now, mostly because I can scale it back graphically if needed and get 60+ fps, with console you're stuck with whatever framerate the dev think is enough, which usually is too low this generation.

Is Assetto Corsa better on console than PC though?
AC doesn't look as great as PCARS and my guess is that the devs are very serious about constant-60, but if I had your setup, I'd wait for the console launch because of the UI overhaul that will come with it and then buy it for PC.

Makikou

It's possible, it's just a lot different. I've been a steering wheel user for a good 6 years now and recently upgraded to a T300RS.. That said, games like Driveclub and The Crew really don't feel good for me using my wheel, and they just simply feel it's easier to grab the Dualshock 4 and play with it. (I am faster with it too on those games, so there's that.)

Edit: Nice triple screen setup.. i'd have them closer though.

Fredrik

Edit: Nice triple screen setup.. i'd have them closer though.
About that, is there a guide somewhere how to place them? I just placed them like that going by memory from seeing a similar setup and never touched them after that :p
A bit nit-picking maybe but the bezels are messing up the picture a bit too, the bezel correction setting in nvidia control panel doesn't seem to work as intended, looks okay when I set it up but looks to be deactivated in games. Is there a way to fix that?
Edit: I might've found a fix for the bezel correction, apparently I need to deactivate bezel correction in nvidia control panel and run the games in 6060x1080 instead of 5760x1080 as it is now. Weird. When is the bezel correction in nvidia control panel needed?
Edit 2: Now it's working! nvidia bezel correction is activated, 125 pixels correction, and games has to run in fullscreen 6010x1080. My 780ti is struggling quite a bit but thanks to some tweeking with the graphics settings I'm still able to get smooth framerates in the games I've tried so far. How awesome wouldn't it be if you had those graphics options on console too? Forza Horizon 2 is fantastic with a wheel but at 60fps it could be the racing game of all times.

Is there anywhere to find good deals on these bad boys? For some reason eBay has all the thrust masters marked up hundreds of dollars. If I could snag a t300 for $300 I'd be pretty happy.

mcfizzle4

Get a Wheelstandpro. As a former owner of one and also a Playseat GT I can say the WSP is quality. I'm actually reverting back to a T300 WSP combo.

Zeth

Damn. I'm getting a wheelstand pro.

Even at my desk it would be nice to remove the wheel from it and move my monitor up to the edge. T300 + G27 pedals here. Might have to mount the TH8A on the desk though.

Fredrik

Damn. I'm getting a wheelstand pro.

Even at my desk it would be nice to remove the wheel from it and move my monitor up to the edge. T300 + G27 pedals here. Might have to mount the TH8A on the desk though.
It comes with a mounting bar for the shifter as well, it's placed right beside the wheel and quite high up though, might be a problem depending on how realistic you want your setup.
S7t1RQK.jpg

Top Bottom