• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More hints that AMD is building Nintendo NX’s processor (VentureBeat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/16/more-hints-that-amd-is-building-nintendo-nxs-processor/

Advanced Micro Devices still hasn’t confirmed anything yet, but the evidence is growing that it’s designing the processor behind Nintendo’s upcoming codenamed NX video game console, which is expected to launch in 2016.
And today, AMD chief executive Lisa Su said that AMD had won a third semi-custom chip design as well. She said that the promise of these chip designs is that they could yield products that, over their lifetime, could generate a billion dollars in sales.

But with the 2012-era Nintendo Wii U, IBM provides a PowerPC processor and AMD provides the graphics chip. With Nintendo, AMD would have to come up with an APU that handled both the CPU and GPU functions and be able to handle the PowerPC processing as well (in order to run older Nintendo games).

To create a backward-compatible console for Nintendo, AMD would have to enable a way for the new console to use software translation in order to run older Wii and Wii U games. Since a new APU from AMD would be much more powerful, that software translation seems like it would be easier to do with modern chip technology. Backward compatibility is thus a hurdle for AMD to overcome with Nintendo, but it is not an insurmountable one.

mBEbGgn.png

Let it die, Nintendo. Ditch BC if you have to.

Edited to clarify!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure backward compatibility would be guaranteed, given the Wii U's small install base it might be a good time to start fresh.

I suppose you could also look at it the other way, backward compatibility would give the Wii U games a second opportunity to bring in revenue.

Either way, I don't think an AMD APU would be all that surprising.

sangreal

Dean Takahashi is reliable, but it doesn't sound like he has any actual sources for any of this. Just speculation

Nintendo has already made the leap from IBM’s PowerPC to x86-based (AMD and Intel) architecture. That means that games written for Nintendo’s current Wii U console are x86 compatible.
Ummmm

Wait, this is the same Dean Takahashi that used to write for seattlepi etc, and wrote the books on Xbox right? WTF

StevieP

Banned
Article said:
Nintendo has already made the leap from IBM’s PowerPC to x86-based (AMD and Intel) architecture. That means that games written for Nintendo’s current Wii U console are x86 compatible.

Ummmm

SSPssp

Good news for AMD if true. Every little helps.

Yes definitely, AMD needs to stay alive otherwise its going to suck for everyone.

mBEbGgn.png

Let it die, Nintendo. Ditch BC if you have to.

Edited to clarify!

I understand if people don't care that much about BC, especially if it holds the system back, but I love being able to play all my old games, so I hope they keep it in.

Odrion

Banned
Just imagine if Nintendo cheaps out and uses something as underpowered as an eight core cpu that only runs at, say, 1.6ghz. Man, that would put them behind the overall technological curve again!

sörine;172120810 said:
Why would a handheld need Wii/Wii U backwards compatibility?

Because everybody knows that te NX platform will ultimately be two consoles with a shared architecture.

While the handheld will almost certainly come first, both machines are also certainly in development.

VanWinkle

That would be great. Could mean easy third-party ports to the system. So long as it has comparable power to the PS4 or XB1.

morikaze

Banned
I'm all for Nintendo ditching BC this time in favor of newer architecture... hope that's the case. As others have said this would be the best time to make the move after several generations on the same chips and low install base on the Wii U.

I wonder if Nintendo will skip BC because of the small Wii U userbase. The only major plus for Nintendo including it (that I can think of) would be if they kept big Wii U games in production well after the NX launches.

ohlawd

time to skip BC and stop making that shit a priority. most sane people keep their old systems.

but if they can add BC in the future like MS is doing with X1 and 360, that's cool too

antonz

I mean the article doesn't really reveal anything concrete but it seems a no brainer that AMD has a big contact with Nintendo for next year.

AMDs prior comments also make it clear this is a lot different then the usual licensing deal as there is a significant amount of funding for a new design

jett

D-Member
I think Wii emulation will be impossible with some weak-ass APU. You need a strong CPU to get Dolphin running properly on PC. Nevermind a Wii U. They should just forget about Wii/Wii U BC to be honest.

And if it's a portable hybrid, fucking forget about a second screen too. Nothing but trash.

Madao

well, this time i wouldn't mind BC being axed. time to close the gap a bit since even cheap modern parts are decently powerful nowadays.

they could even add Wii U BC later like how MS added 360 BC to XB1.

I think Wii emulation will be impossible with some weak-ass APU. You need a strong CPU to get Dolphin running properly on PC. Nevermind a Wii U. They should just forget about Wii/Wii U BC to be honest.

this would also crush people's dreams of GC VC since GC requires very close power to Wii to be emulated properly.

StevieP

Banned
Dean Takahashi is reliable, but it doesn't sound like he has any actual sources for any of this. Just speculation

Wait, this is the same Dean Takahashi that used to write for seattlepi etc, and wrote the books on Xbox right? WTF

Dean most certainly has (or had?) goods. Especially when it comes to Microsoft. There was a lot Dean knew about the 360 before it was out, for example. Don't know where he's going with that one though

I haven't been following this...is NX supposed to be less powerful than them?
Less, more, a literal PC with literally off the shelf bog standard parts... It wouldn't make much of a difference in any case.

morikaze

Banned
I want Wii U BC.

Chances are it will be in there going by what Iwata said so I wouldn't worry if I was you. If the NX is BC hopefully they found a really good way of shrinking down the chips necessary for BC with AMD's help or something.

The only non-software way that AMD/Nintendo achieve Wii U bc is if they use globalfoundries, who now own the IBM CPU factories. I don't know how likely that is, but at 22nm, the Wii U CPU would be tiny. Maybe 10mm^2?

jett

D-Member
well, this time i wouldn't mind BC being axed. time to close the gap a bit since even cheap modern parts are decently powerful nowadays.

they could even add Wii U BC later like how MS added 360 BC to XB1.

this would also crush people's dreams of GC VC since GC requires very close power to Wii to be emulated properly.

So? Fuggetaboutit. You can't design and hamstring a new system around being able to play 10-15 year-old games.

I mean, Wii U BC is going to be tough to implement in an accessible way on the global scale nintendo likes for BC anyway.
A lot of games require the gamepad and there's not much they can do about that, nor the fact that if the NX is even a moderate success, a large number of people won't have gamepads.

I just hope the next handheld iteration manages to include 3DS BC.

it's not that. its that 3rd parties wouldn't support Nintendo even if they had comparable specs.

Not when it's several years late to the party again they won't. If it had launched around ps4/xbonetime with comparable specs, then they might have.

AMD would have to come up with an APU that handled both the CPU and GPU functions and be able to handle the PowerPC processing as well (in order to run older Nintendo games).

I'm not sure what the logistics would be if they wanted to combine x86 cores and an IBM PPC core on the same chip, or if that would even be technically possible. The other option would be emulation.

it worked fine for Sony with the PS4.

The PS3 wasn't three years old.

Granted, the Wii U won't be either, but still. The abbreviated console life-span makes BC more necessary if they don't want Wii U owners to feel burned.

it's not that. its that 3rd parties wouldn't support Nintendo even if they had comparable specs.

Sure they would. At least, assuming there weren't other factors preventing them, which would be unlikely, at least at first. Extremely low sales like the Wii U would do it, but most publishers wouldn't preemptively swear off a platform due to such fears. And if it's AMD64-based, that already makes porting a lot easier, especially combined with comparable specs. The only other thing that might dissuade publisher out of the gate is the lack of an analogous input device, which is unlikely and wouldn't necessarily drive them away either.

sörine;172120810 said:
Why would a handheld need Wii/Wii U backwards compatibility?

Because NX is a family of consoles.

Come on. You know this.

That being said, the fact that NX is a number of hardware configurations makes me think BC may not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom