• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, how was No More Heroes for the PS3?

jamsy

So I've always been curious about this game, and because I've never had a Wii, I never did manage to play it. Today I notice there was a PS3 version released a while back with some additional features, and it piqued my interest. Is this game worth playing?

Before people start recommending that I play the original Wii version, let's just say that's not really an option for me. Even though I currently own a Wii U, I'm not going to play a game in 480p in this day and age.

I know the game also supports the Move controller on PS3, which I don't have. Is this a huge thing for this game? I suppose I'd consider getting one if it really improves the experience.

It's worth playing through if you like Suda 51 games and weird adult humour. The combat is mash heavy, but manages to stay intriguing by having interesting little things peppered in here and there. The open world is a bit of a drag, but it has a little charm (driving between jobs in a speedy playthrough tho, kill me now).

As for controller choices the best way to play is Wii & Chuck > PS3 Controller > Move Controller. The move controller is the worst because the waggle functions which felt functional and smooth in the Wii version are not sensitive enough on the Move, making it feel super exasperating to try and charge the katana or swipe a finisher.

So if your gonna go the PS3 version, play with the pad and have a fun time.

L.O.R.D

It's very fun with the move
Until you start ride the bike and your life will turn into hell
The bike movements with the move is very hard
But playing and fighting enemies with the move are really satisfying

Nosgotham

Just don't use move. Wii really is the best control experience but it seems you aren't willing to make your eyes bleed.

Quick

Banned
Probably one of the better uses of the Sixaxis motion controls on the Dualshock 3. lol

Having no prior experience to No More Heroes, I picked this up a few years ago used and it was pretty fun. I didn't end up finishing it though.

tbd

Does it have Move support? Does it have the phone gimmick? Does it have motion controls finishers? Those finishers were extremely satisfying in the original. Does it have Haevenly star and all the shirts and other extra stuff?

If no, I think the original is better, especially if it runs well on Dolphin (does it?). Those sidejobs are basically designed around motion controls and they make 30 % of the game.

Excellent game and Suda's best, stupid but satisfying combat, amazing characters and good dialogues, twist and background story. Pretty sad how Suda doesn't give a fuck anymore. Desperate Struggle is amazing, too.

evanmisha

Literally the worst screen tearing I've personally seen on the PS3. The controls also aren't near as rewarding as they are on the Wii.

Scoops

Banned
The second one is better but only on Wii.

Haven't played the PS3 version of the first one but I really liked it on Wii

Don't even try if it's not the Wii version. Controls are shit without motion and PS3 version also doesn't run well.
Plus I don't think this is a game for you in general, if SD is such a horror to you. This is certainly not a game for people that are hung up on tech and high production values.

The additional content (NMH2 bosses) is really bad. They don't fit in the game's mechanics, nor the arenas you fight them in, and all get caught up really easily on walls.

From an interview with Suda 51 posted a few days ago:

The X Button said:
Yes, No More Heroes made it to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Did you have input about it?

I was there, but I couldn't get involved too much.

Do you prefer that people play the Wii version, then?

The Wii version, definitely. One hundred percent.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2015-07-22/how-suda-is-now/.90757

The only way to play the second part is Wii anyway. I really don't get how 480p is so bad. I play Wii games all the time.

Probably one of the better uses of the Sixaxis motion controls on the Dualshock 3. lol

Having no prior experience to No More Heroes, I picked this up a few years ago used and it was pretty fun. I didn't end up finishing it though.

This. The MOVE support sucked ass; couldn't hold a candle to the smooth Wii controls. Had to switch out for a DS3 after the coconut mini mission...

Ridley327

You are honestly much better off with suffering 480p for a dozen or so hours than you are playing the PS3 version, which somehow managed to have more technical issues and fucked up the game balance along the way.

greg400

Banned
Version differences aside I really didn't like the first game. The second one is so much better and cuts away all the boring unnecessary fat of the first one (overworld, sidejobs that aren't fun for cash that you need to progress). They are pretty similar anyway so I would recommend just playing the second one (it's a Wii exclusive, not really sure why you can't play a 480p game in this day and age, a good game is a good game regardless of resolution).

ChiefGrim

Neo Member
The second I hit the overworld I never touched it again lol. The HD only made it worse for me. Not sure if knowing the second game was out and got rid of that aspect influenced my mindset.

G0523

The PS3 version has tons of screen tearing but it does look crisper than the Wii version. I played it with the DualShock 3 so applying the motion controls to the Sixaxis and analog sticks was a bit wonky. If this is your only way of playing the game though I'd say go for it. You get extra bosses and missions too.

Also, if you manage to beat this game, I'd strongly recommend playing the second one too. It's only on Wii but it's worth it.

Phediuk

The open world portions of No More Heroes were such a pain in the ass. Really brought down the game unfortunately.

cj_iwakura

Buy a Wii. It's garbage.
The game is a masterpiece, the PS3 version is a travesty.

The open world portions of No More Heroes were such a pain in the ass. Really brought down the game unfortunately.

Yet the sequel feels barren without it. Suda also didn't write it, and it shows. It has none of the satire or wit of the first, just RAAWWR REVENGE. Blech.

Top Bottom