• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIOH screenshots

The online element was also discussed:

There will be an online element called “Chinokata Dzuka” (Bloody Sword Mound). When you’re connected online and playing the game, you’ll see the “bloody sword mounds” of players who have died sticking out of the ground. When you touch it, that player’s “Jigurui” (Corpse Deviation) will appear and a battle will ensue. You can see their name, level, and cause of death before deciding whether to summon them. Corpse Deviation battles are dangerous, but defeating the summon might earn you useful items.

Thanks, Gematsu.

As far as I'm aware it'll remain PS4 only.

Also for those unaware they're targeting 60fps

Here is trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfGYXIOems

Here is gameplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuY6R-iF3XU
This was the first time I've ever heard of the title, but the gameplay and atmosphere had me hooked immediately. Can't wait to play it. In the meantime, though, I decided to translate some of the information given in the video in the OP. Some of it is explained in the VG247 article, but not everything. I'm far from an expert in Japanese (but I'll be going there for a year to study in a couple of weeks!), so please bear with me if there are some slight inaccuracies. I also couldn't make out the name of some mechanics.

• On the bottom right are four icons that determines fighting stance.
  • Your Offensive and defensive capabilities are dependant on stance and can be changed on the fly.
  • There are bloddy katanas on the ground where other people have died.
  • Apparently you can active them and fight against them for good loot.
  • (I can't make out what word they used to describe them so I'm not sure if you fight them in PvP or if you fight AI units that look like the players.)
  • You can change armor and weapon in real time, so make sure you're in a safe area when you do.
  • There are also spears in the game that are good against groups of enemies.
  • There are guardian spirits that William can see and infuse into his weapon for a limited time like the flame wolf and the blue owl.
  • Guardian spirits appear after you die. (I guess as a helping hand?)
  • You will have to decide when to use it apparently, so there might be a limit.
  • There are shrines where you level up with the experience you've saved up, and where you can change spirit.
  • In some locations you might come across some strange flimmering (can't make out what they call it), which when you approach will spawn a youkai that drops good loot.
  • The boss shown is called an onryou (revengeful demon), a powerful oni.
  • You heal in realtime so it's important to look for an opening to do so.
  • When he heals he infuses his weapon with what looks like a blue owl spirit, different from the fire wolf from earlier.

6b727d.jpg

1223a1.jpg

56eed1.jpg

293469.jpg

470dff.jpg

37be48.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
The face of this enemy is just bent, broken and chaotic in all the best ways a malevolent entity should look:

Nioh_2015_09-17-15_002.jpg

How he is holding the sword here is also pretty tasty:

Nioh_2015_09-17-15_003.jpg

Amazing looking game for sure.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is this game confirmed to be PS4 exclusive in the west?

As far as I'm aware it'll remain PS4 only.

Also for those unaware they're targeting 60fps

Here is trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfGYXIOems

Here is gameplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuY6R-iF3XU

Also-

This was the first time I've ever heard of the title, but the gameplay and atmosphere had me hooked immediately. Can't wait to play it. In the meantime, though, I decided to translate some of the information given in the video in the OP. Some of it is explained in the VG247 article, but not everything. I'm far from an expert in Japanese (but I'll be going there for a year to study in a couple of weeks!), so please bear with me if there are some slight inaccuracies. I also couldn't make out the name of some mechanics.

• On the bottom right are four icons that determines fighting stance.
  • Your Offensive and defensive capabilities are dependant on stance and can be changed on the fly.
  • There are bloddy katanas on the ground where other people have died.
  • Apparently you can active them and fight against them for good loot.
  • (I can't make out what word they used to describe them so I'm not sure if you fight them in PvP or if you fight AI units that look like the players.)
  • You can change armor and weapon in real time, so make sure you're in a safe area when you do.
  • There are also spears in the game that are good against groups of enemies.
  • There are guardian spirits that William can see and infuse into his weapon for a limited time like the flame wolf and the blue owl.
  • Guardian spirits appear after you die. (I guess as a helping hand?)
  • You will have to decide when to use it apparently, so there might be a limit.
  • There are shrines where you level up with the experience you've saved up, and where you can change spirit.
  • In some locations you might come across some strange flimmering (can't make out what they call it), which when you approach will spawn a youkai that drops good loot.
  • The boss shown is called an onryou (revengeful demon), a powerful oni.
  • You heal in realtime so it's important to look for an opening to do so.
  • When he heals he infuses his weapon with what looks like a blue owl spirit, different from the fire wolf from earlier.

I'm hoping there is a co-op mechanic because I'd love to play this through with my brother but I'm guessing not.

Looks good though, will be interesting to see the gameplay expanded upon in the coming months.

Shin-Ra

Artistically it's nice but desperately needs some AA. Team Ninja without the bullshots!

Texture quality's a bit inconsistent too.

This seems like an even bigger Dark Souls clone than Lords of the Fallen, but it looks pretty awesome, so I'm cautiously optimistic. There's still no such thing as too many souls games.

Slixshot

Banned
So is this like Ninja Gaiden? I read somewhere else that people were making comparisons to bloodborne and dark souls. I'm all for the latter but know nothing about Gaiden.

Salex_

I swear, people try so hard to compare a new game to recent games. It's like they make money to name drop as many recent games as possible.
That's a young Geralt.

So are people going to call every character with a samurai ponytail "Geralt"? Even Japanese games with a hafu main character and a feudal era setting?

This seems like an even bigger Dark Souls clone than Lords of the Fallen, but it looks pretty awesome, so I'm cautiously optimistic. There's still no such thing as too many souls games.

Have you never played Onimusha?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Your Offensive and defensive capabilities are dependant on stance and can be changed on the fly.

As a kendo nerd, this is vaguely exciting. Chudan no kamae for a balance of offense and defense, jodan no kamae for more offense, gedan no kamae for more defense? :D

bede-x

60fps? Nice, but at this point I'll wait until it's actually released to rejoice. Too many "targeting 60fps" games end up with an unlocked framerate that's no where near a stable 60fps or is locked to 30fps before release..

Shauni

I haven't played Souls, so I'm probably risking coming off like an idiot here and all, but looking at this and looking at Souls...I honestly don't see the comparison. Definitely giving me more of a Gaiden/Onimusha vibe.

bumpkin

This looks more like a slightly less athletic Ninja Gaiden than it does Onimusha. Heck, the sound effects sound like they're right out of NG.

Top Bottom