• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIOH screenshots

Elios83

It looks way more like Onimusha mixed with Ninja Gaiden than Souls to me.
Really looking forward to it, lots of potential, Team Ninja don't fuck it up.

UltraJay

Geralt only has that type of ponytail in the Witcher 3. The similarities to Geralt are more than just the ponytail. It's more of the white hair with young features (instead of a white-haired old dude) and even his face kinda looks it from certain angles.

You seriously can't look at these screenshots and see "Japanese Geralt that's also a samurai"? I instantly see that even though I know better. I can't help it.

Not only that but this guy fights monsters too! Except instead of monsters from European and Slavic mythology it's Japanese folklore.

The comparison would be almost perfect if he had cat-like/demon eyes.

Anyways... this game looks pretty cool.

Papacheeks

Banned
Was there mention if I missed it, of the game being multi-region released?

or at least having a US/EU release coinciding with Japanese release?

Or is it strictly Japan right now?

Have you never played Onimusha?

Yes I did, but please tell me about how Onimusha has a semi-online component with bloodstain mechanics showing me where other players died or how you were only able to change equipment and heal in real-time.

I can see the similarities with Onimusha in setting, but the many mechanics and the gritty art style from the trailer is straight out of a souls game. The combat also looks pretty "heavy" and based around using well-timed counters and dodges to find openings, which again is much more Souls like to me than anything in Onimusha. I'll admit that it's hard to say anything for certain about the combat though, since we have only seen like 30 seconds of actual gameplay.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yes I did, but please tell me about how Onimusha has a semi-online component with bloodstain mechanics showing me where other players died or how you were only able to change equipment and heal in real-time.

I can see the similarities with Onimusha in setting, but the many mechanics and the gritty art style from the trailer is straight out of a souls game. The combat also looks pretty "heavy" and based around using well-timed counters and dodges to find openings, which again is much more Souls like to me than anything in Onimusha. I'll admit that it's hard to say anything for certain about the combat though, since we have only seen like 30 seconds of actual gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuY6R-iF3XU

convo

Remember when Ninja Gaiden 3 was somehow influenced and inspired by Call of Duty?
Fuck that shit into oblivion Team Ninja, at least we can replace that shit with Souls now.

u_neek

Looks like Knack mixed with a little Grand Theft Auto. Detecting notes of Mass Effect as well.

oh-you-dog.jpg

Kamina777

Banned
I'm going to remember when everyone was hyping this, it'll have more in common with that xbox360 exclusive ninja gaiden rip off than souls, at best it's going to scratch am onimusha itch but not totally fill the void.

sublimit

Banned
Holy fuck game looks awesome!New info is very interesting as well.

Could this game be the Demon's Souls of this gen (in terms of surprise hit)? Really hope TN get it right.

And let Capcom continue making shitty online shooters while they keep ignoring Onimusha.

Zyrox

Looks really cool so far. Here's hoping it plays well. Though I can't help but see Geralt every time I see the main character lol

Neff

Sounds way more Souls than Onimusha. Doesn't sound very Onimusha at all, actually.

I'm sure it'll be good though.

ZoddGutts

60fps? Nice, but at this point I'll wait until it's actually released to rejoice. Too many "targeting 60fps" games end up with an unlocked framerate that's no where near a stable 60fps or is locked to 30fps before release..

I think they can make it happen, their only working on the ps4. So they'll be able to push things forward much easier since their not working on it multi-platform wise.

Edit: From the gameplay it has orb absorption similar to Onimusha series. Game takes cues from several games.

HardRojo

I'll definitely be on the lookout for this title now. I didn't even know I wanted it until it was revealed (re-revealed?) at Sony's conference.

Top Bottom