• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Play Music can be played on PS4/XB1 (incl. background music) w/ DLNA (Android)

PaulLFC

Firstly apologies for the title - difficult to fit everything in with the character limit. tl:dr Google Play Music All Access on PS4 and Xbox One if you have an Android device, using DLNA. Music can play in the background on PS4 while gaming, and snapped on Xbox One.

---

Recently there was a post over on the Android subreddit that the app BubbleUPNP has support for Google Play Music. This means that there's technically a way for GPM All Access subscribers with an Android device such as myself to listen to the service on PS4, including background music and track notifications while gaming as with Spotify, and on Xbox One with Media Player snapped. Apparently this has existed for a while, but it's the first I've heard of it so I thought I'd write a quick guide in case anyone else subscribes to GPM and was looking for a way to use it on consoles.

Note: BubbleUPnP is free, however you'll need to purchase a licence to remove certain restrictions (such as only being able to listen to 16 tracks). For how useful the app is though, I think the licence is well worth it, and there are no other purchases, IAPs or restrictions once you have the licence.

Steps for PS4
1. Install BubbleUPnP on your Android phone
2. Start it, go to the left hamburger menu and expand "Cloud" - Google Music is an option, so choose that.
3. Choose your GPM Google account, and you'll get asked to grant the app permission (Weirdly, all it said for me was "sj" which struck me as strange, but from a Google it seems this has been the name of the permission since at least 2011 - it's apparently the internal name for GPM, supposedly short for "SkyJam")
4. The app will then take a couple of minutes syncing all of your playlists, albums etc. Once done, go to your PS4.
5. Start Media Player on the PS4 and you should see "BubbleUPnP Media Server (Your phone model)" as an option, so pick that.
6. You can then browse the folder list Google Music > Albums or Artists or Playlists, and there are all your songs. Choose one to start playing it, and any options you want such as shuffle/repeat, then hit the PS button to background it. The quick menu options for previous/next track and play/pause work too.

Steps for Xbox One
1. Follow the same BubbleUPnP steps as above.
2. On the console choose My Games and Apps -> Apps -> Media Player -> BubbleUPnP (your device) -> Google Music.
Unfortunately the only way to "background" the music on XB1 appears to be snapping Media Player to the side of the screen, which isn't ideal.

If you add new tracks or playlists to GPM and want them available on console you'll need to go back to BubbleUPnP on your Android device, pick Google Music from the menu and choose Sync from the right-hand 3 dots menu. That is unless you set up a Tasker profile to do it automatically:

Automatically sync new GPM songs/albums/playlists with BubbleUPnP (and by extension your PS4/XB1)
1. If you don't have it already, purchase and install Tasker on your Android device (this supposedly also works with Llama (free), but I don't know the steps for that).
2. Start Tasker. On the Profiles screen, click + to add a new profile and choose "Time" as the First Context.
3. Untick "To" as it's not needed. Set "From" to whichever time of day you'd like to first run the sync.
4. Tick "Repeat", choose hours or minutes depending on how often you want your changes to be synced, and then enter a number for how often you want this to happen.
5. Click the Back arrow icon in the top left when you've set the time and repeat interval, an 'Enter Task' menu will then pop up. Choose "New Task" (scroll the menu to the top if this isn't visible). Give it a name, e.g. "Sync GPM".
6. The 'Task Edit' screen will appear. Click + at the bottom of the screen, choose System, then pick "Send Intent".
7. In the 'Action' box, paste or type the following exactly: com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.GOOGLE_MUSIC_SYNC
8. Leave everything else as is, and press the back arrow icon at the top left twice. If all goes well you should be back at the Profiles screen and your Sync GPM task should be set to "On". That's it, sync is now automatic.

Useful settings for BubbleUPnP
Some of these will require the Pro licence to be purchased.

• Settings -> Now Playing -> disable 'Keep screen on' - it's not needed as far as I've been able to tell, and will conserve battery.
  • Settings -> Local Renderer -> Gapless playback - fairly obvious, enables gapless playback (still sometimes seems to take a second or two to buffer the next song, but it's worth enabling for when it does work).
  • Settings -> Local Media Server -> Make sure 'Enable' and 'Advertise on LAN' are both checked.
  • Settings -> Control -> Start on boot - This along with the next tweak means you shouldn't need to run the BubbleUPnP app in the foreground for your server to show up on console.
  • Settings -> UPnP Tweaks -> Blast alive messages - This is the most important I've found, as the PS4 media player app seems to "forget" the server exists after a while, needing a restart of the app (and sometimes BubbleUPnP itself). This solves that - the app will keep sending 'alive' messages meaning that the PS4 will always pick it up within 10 seconds at the very most.

Phew, that was longer than I expected. Apologies, hope this helps others though. I'm very happy right now, being able to listen to GPM on PS4 while gaming - the one reason I was considering switching to Spotify, and now I don't need to.

whitehawk

Banned
Not bad. If it works like Spotify on Android that awesome. I thought Spotify on PS4 sucked until I realized I didn't even need to boot the app, just turn my phone app on and select my ps4.

PaulLFC

Not bad. If it works like Spotify on Android that awesome. I thought Spotify on PS4 sucked until I realized I didn't even need to boot the app, just turn my phone app on and select my ps4.
Wow, I haven't tried this. Going to test when I get chance. I suspect not, as this is really just the PS4 picking up a DLNA server that the app creates. I assume Spotify is taking advantage of having official integration with the PS4 OS.

Edit: Nope, no way to do this by the looks of it, at least not that I can figure out. Seems music has to be selected from the console.

jesu

Firstly apologies for the title - difficult to fit everything in with the character limit. tl:dr Google Play Music All Access on PS4 and Xbox One if you have an Android device, using DLNA. Music can play in the background on PS4 while gaming, and snapped on Xbox One.

---

Recently there was a post over on the Android subreddit that the app BubbleUPNP has support for Google Play Music. This means that there's technically a way for GPM All Access subscribers with an Android device such as myself to listen to the service on PS4, including background music and track notifications while gaming as with Spotify, and on Xbox One with Media Player snapped. Apparently this has existed for a while, but it's the first I've heard of it so I thought I'd write a quick guide in case anyone else subscribes to GPM and was looking for a way to use it on consoles.

Note: BubbleUPnP is free, however you'll need to purchase a licence to remove certain restrictions (such as only being able to listen to 16 tracks). For how useful the app is though, I think the licence is well worth it, and there are no other purchases, IAPs or restrictions once you have the licence.

Steps for PS4
1. Install BubbleUPnP on your Android phone
2. Start it, go to the left hamburger menu and expand "Cloud" - Google Music is an option, so choose that.
3. Choose your GPM Google account, and you'll get asked to grant the app permission (Weirdly, all it said for me was "sj" which struck me as strange, but from a Google it seems this has been the name of the permission since at least 2011 - it's apparently the internal name for GPM, supposedly short for "SkyJam")
4. The app will then take a couple of minutes syncing all of your playlists, albums etc. Once done, go to your PS4.
5. Start Media Player on the PS4 and you should see "BubbleUPnP Media Server (Your phone model)" as an option, so pick that.
6. You can then browse the folder list Google Music > Albums or Artists or Playlists, and there are all your songs. Choose one to start playing it, and any options you want such as shuffle/repeat, then hit the PS button to background it. The quick menu options for previous/next track and play/pause work too.

Steps for Xbox One
1. Follow the same BubbleUPnP steps as above.
2. On the console choose My Games and Apps -> Apps -> Media Player -> BubbleUPnP (your device) -> Google Music.
Unfortunately the only way to "background" the music on XB1 appears to be snapping Media Player to the side of the screen, which isn't ideal.

If you add new tracks or playlists to GPM and want them available on console you'll need to go back to BubbleUPnP on your Android device, pick Google Music from the menu and choose Sync from the right-hand 3 dots menu. That is unless you set up a Tasker profile to do it automatically:

Automatically sync new GPM songs/albums/playlists with BubbleUPnP (and by extension your PS4/XB1)
1. If you don't have it already, purchase and install Tasker on your Android device (this supposedly also works with Llama (free), but I don't know the steps for that).
2. Start Tasker. On the Profiles screen, click + to add a new profile and choose "Time" as the First Context.
3. Untick "To" as it's not needed. Set "From" to whichever time of day you'd like to first run the sync.
4. Tick "Repeat", choose hours or minutes depending on how often you want your changes to be synced, and then enter a number for how often you want this to happen.
5. Click the Back arrow icon in the top left when you've set the time and repeat interval, an 'Enter Task' menu will then pop up. Choose "New Task" (scroll the menu to the top if this isn't visible). Give it a name, e.g. "Sync GPM".
6. The 'Task Edit' screen will appear. Click + at the bottom of the screen, choose System, then pick "Send Intent".
7. In the 'Action' box, paste or type the following exactly: com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp.GOOGLE_MUSIC_SYNC
8. Leave everything else as is, and press the back arrow icon at the top left twice. If all goes well you should be back at the Profiles screen and your Sync GPM task should be set to "On". That's it, sync is now automatic.

Useful settings for BubbleUPnP
Some of these will require the Pro licence to be purchased.

• Settings -> Now Playing -> disable 'Keep screen on' - it's not needed as far as I've been able to tell, and will conserve battery.
  • Settings -> Local Renderer -> Gapless playback - fairly obvious, enables gapless playback (still sometimes seems to take a second or two to buffer the next song, but it's worth enabling for when it does work).
  • Settings -> Local Media Server -> Make sure 'Enable' and 'Advertise on LAN' are both checked.
  • Settings -> Control -> Start on boot - This along with the next tweak means you shouldn't need to run the BubbleUPnP app in the foreground for your server to show up on console.
  • Settings -> UPnP Tweaks -> Blast alive messages - This is the most important I've found, as the PS4 media player app seems to "forget" the server exists after a while, needing a restart of the app (and sometimes BubbleUPnP itself). This solves that - the app will keep sending 'alive' messages meaning that the PS4 will always pick it up within 10 seconds at the very most.

Phew, that was longer than I expected. Apologies, hope this helps others though. I'm very happy right now, being able to listen to GPM on PS4 while gaming - the one reason I was considering switching to Spotify, and now I don't need to.

You're not Jeff Rigby.

Wow, I haven't tried this. Going to test when I get chance. I suspect not, as this is really just the PS4 picking up a DLNA server that the app creates. I assume Spotify is taking advantage of having official integration with the PS4 OS.

Edit: Nope, no way to do this by the looks of it, at least not that I can figure out. Seems music has to be selected from the console.

You can do it. Just open the Spotify App on your phone and be sure its connected to the same network as your PS4. Go to play a song in the phone and app and at the bottom of the screen it should say Connection Available. From there you can choose to link up with your PS4 and it wil automatically begin to play without opening the console app.

blahness

Thanks for this info and I'm glad to jot have to use the Spotify app anymore. I was on the fence as to getting this app anyway and this pushed me over the edge.

Slick! Now I'm thinking I can set up my rarely used first gen Nexus 7 to serve music and podcasts to my PS4. Hopefully it works better than the DLNA server in my router which has a tendency to park the hard drive and timeout the Media Player app.

Head.spawn

Whaaaat you've changed my life.

Pro-tip: You can use on Spotify account to control any that are hooked up/open/connected.

Whenever I'm at work and see my wife using the account to listen to whatever; I typically switch it to "Tyga - Molly", "I GET SEX" or "Frank Zappa - Sy Borg". Just for the lols of course.

PaulLFC

You can do it. Just open the Spotify App on your phone and be sure its connected to the same network as your PS4. Go to play a song in the phone and app and at the bottom of the screen it should say Connection Available. From there you can choose to link up with your PS4 and it wil automatically begin to play without opening the console app.
Sorry, I was referring to doing this with Google Play Music and BubbleUPnP, in the same way that Spotify works. However it doesn't seem possible for GPM - I suspect Spotify has some additional access with being an official app.

RoKKeR

Bumping this thread because HOLY SHIT THANK YOU OP!! I'm not sure how it took me this long to find this, but this is literally exactly what I've been looking for. I cannot believe how simple and easy setting this thing up was... best $4 I have ever spent, it works flawlessly.

Being able to have my entire GPM library on my console with my Astros is a godsend. Thanks again OP. Now we just need MS to allow the Media App to play in the background on XBO, surprised that it doesn't.

How can I play podcasts though? Anybody figure it out?

If you download it as MP3, add it to the folder where all the other music on your computer is located, The Google Play Music app on your computer will add it to your library and you should be able to stream it to your PS4.

Make sure the Google Play Music app/software has the settings checked to automatically add new files to your library. Otherwise, you will have to go into the app/software and add the Podcasts to your library manually.

tribal24

Banned
does anyone know if this works with Dead or alive Xtreme 3? just wondering since spotify suspends itself when trying to leave it on with this game.

TechJunk

If you download it as MP3, add it to the folder where all the other music on your computer is located, The Google Play Music app on your computer will add it to your library and you should be able to stream it to your PS4.

Make sure the Google Play Music app/software has the settings checked to automatically add new files to your library. Otherwise, you will have to go into the app/software and add the Podcasts to your library manually.

Ok so download it manually from somewhere, but not as a subscription to a podcast. Hmm, not the best implementation but thanks anyways

I really wish the PS4 just supported AirPlay. It'd make all those steps a LOT simpler, and allow other services like Apple Music. But that's the drawback for Sony having these entertainment divisions that make them want to push their own services at the expense of interoperability.

TechJunk

I really wish the PS4 just supported AirPlay. It'd make all those steps a LOT simpler, and allow other services like Apple Music. But that's the drawback for Sony having these entertainment divisions that make them want to push their own services at the expense of interoperability.

Or Google Cast... Sony already makes Android phones.. maybe even something platform agnostic like they do with Spotify,
I've always wanted them to make the PS4 a cast receiver, exactly like how it works with Spotify. The PS4 on the Spotify Android and iOS apps shows up as just another source to play to, along with my Chromecast audios in the home.
Tried Bubblecast, it works for sure, just not as user friendly as I would like.

but UPnP/DLNA is one of the most interoperable techs out there. it's those other guys that use their more closed systems like AirPlay and Cast.

Thank you OP, I have been waiting for something like this ever since I started my GPM sub. Will definitely try this out after work tomorrow.

but UPnP/DLNA is one of the most interoperable techs out there. it's those other guys that use their more closed systems like AirPlay and Cast.

Yeah, but DLNA has always been a bit janky for me (I used to have an OG Xbox running XBMC). Whether they like it or not, AirPlay and Cast are big standards now. Just look at any stereo receiver; they all pretty much support AirPlay (and I think Cast?) now.

does anyone know if this works with Dead or alive Xtreme 3? just wondering since spotify suspends itself when trying to leave it on with this game.

Probably not. Some games just disable background music altogether. Dead or Alive 5 is that way, too.

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason I don't have to buy Spotify premium on PS4 to stream any song I want at any time? I haven't subscribed to spotify once yet seem to have unlimited access on the PS4 app.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For google play music you can upload your local music to play back anywhere. But I'm using their chrome app and I can't find anywhere to list what is being uploaded. There is an arrow icon but that's about it. Had it on for about 24hrs now and no idea if it is doing anything

BigEmil

Slightly off topic, but is there a reason I don't have to buy Spotify premium on PS4 to stream any song I want at any time? I haven't subscribed to spotify once yet seem to have unlimited access on the PS4 app.
Spotify free allows you to listen to unlimited songs on ps4 just has ads once in while, with premium membership you get access to higher quality music, ability to save and listen to tracks offline, no ads and other stuff I forgot. Spotify is abit more limited on mobile but more lax on PS4, as a heavy Spotify user on many platforms I got the Spotify Premium

Nzyme32

For google play music you can upload your local music to play back anywhere. But I'm using their chrome app and I can't find anywhere to list what is being uploaded. There is an arrow icon but that's about it. Had it on for about 24hrs now and no idea if it is doing anything

I found the google play music chrome app to be awful. I used the older Windows application which can be found at this link - https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1075570?hl=en-GB

It shows all the errors and file numbers but not exactly what is being uploaded at a given time. I found it best to do one pass and then another to be sure everything is there correctly.

Top Bottom