• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia has a new graphics Control panel

Mithos

"The original control panel stays the same."
"The regular control panel is still accessible with this installed."

For now...

The NVIDIA app beta is a first step in our journey to modernize and unify the NVIDIA Control Panel, GeForce Experience, and RTX Experience Apps.
geforce experience sucks. i always avoid installing it.

they better keep the control panel straight-to-the-point like it is now.

nkarafo

I'll never use this bloat. If they remove the regular driver panel i will just use whatever alternative the modders will make.

Mortisfacio

Fucking finally.

Poor AMD watching this btw

4Fkg5zM.png

I bought 75 shares back in 2016 I've held onto since. I don't know when to pull out. I keep thinking this is done and has to go down, but the value just keeps blowing up.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Good - for the once in two years I do something with the driver layer..

I just use minimal Cleanstall update and thus usually never have to touch anything else after.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Hmm. As slow as the old one is, I have concerns about a new one that attempts to combine.

1. I had multiple display problems with GeForce Experience that would cause fuck ups during games. Full screen games would be minimised etc. This would only ever happen with Experience, and does not happen on just drivers. Tried again years later, same issue came back.

2. Any feature removals?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
fucking finally.
And they need to remove TON of settings. I hope they won't transfer all the useless ancient crap from graphics settings. It was bloated

fersnake

i always wondered why the nvcp was to freaking slow i though my pc was the problem all this years. finally they put 1 dude to work on this.

Puscifer

All it took was a >$20B quarter.

Not a fan though. The current nVidia Control Panel is one of the few apps consistent with the modern WIndows UX paradigm, i.e. when you find the settings menu that looks like straight out of Windows 95 you know you're in the right place.
When I was a network engineer I can't tell you how many times I had to customize everyone's UI to the classic layout and creating shortcuts to things that were still there but buried.

hinch7

This is fucking nothing. Just a new GF Experience. 3D settings still only on old Control Panel.
Its it beta testing. This will end up replacing CP eventually. The software itself is fine.. Better to deal with one software that can handle everything than having two. Atm its just missing some settings from CP but thats understandable since its still WiP.
They didn't add Nvidia Image Scaling (Nvidia's version of AMD's RSR) in this app?
Its in the Graphics settings. And under image scaling, in Global settings. Can also do filters as well (like sharpening) as well, you could with GFE with overlay.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
"The NVIDIA app requires data to configure your graphics card and application settings for the best gaming, content creation, and design experience. We need to know your PC’s hardware and software configuration, installed games and creative/design apps, game and app settings and performance data, usage metrics of the NVIDIA app, and geographical region."

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Will update my drivers later, hopefully it's got improved functionality over the current.
Nvidia's never replaced the classic OG control panel because it works

Meanwhile AMD will never get their slick looking but bug filled Adrenaline thing to ever work

I like things that work so I'll stick with the ugly ass Nvidia control panel
Election 2020 Lol GIF by Joe Biden

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So much negativity. The new HDR option beats Windows Auto HDR, have support for more games, and is easier to use. This is great for OLED users.
That's just internet nowadays, just a bunch of hateful people, I miss old internet times...

I tried RTX HDR on some games and it works quite well, but for some reason I can't set the max nits to 1000 as calibrated with the Windows 11 HDR calibration tool, it caps at 553 nits for me.
Thus some highlights are less bright than Auto HDR.

Legitimately can't tell if windows update or Nvidia driver update borked my rig just now. Getting no signal at all from the GPU now.

Legitimately can't tell if windows update or Nvidia driver update borked my rig just now. Getting no signal at all from the GPU now.
One of the driver updates blacked my screen. Turning off freesync/g sync in monitor brought it back for me. Newer driver fixed issue.

Hibs

Tried it and went back to Autohdr. Performance hit isn't worth it to me, and hardly noticed a difference, at least in Darktide and Helldivers 2. I switched between native hdr, auto and RTX for H2 and they all seemed the same.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Tried it and went back to Autohdr. Performance hit isn't worth it to me, and hardly noticed a difference, at least in Darktide and Helldivers 2. I switched between native hdr, auto and RTX for H2 and they all seemed the same.

Digital Foundry released a good comparison between Windows 11 Auto HDR and Nvidia HDR. There wasn't any huge performance hit when using Nvidia HDR, and black levels are much better.

Bojji

Do you get a little popup message when you start a game about rtx hdr like windows does with autohdr?

Nope but I can see it working right away (developers logos). I tried in in Kena where auto HDR looks good but Rtx HDR is better as it's not raising black level and robocop (I don't think it has auto HDR support).

It's going to be a bloated waste of resources shoved down our throats just so whiny bitches can have their shiny new toy. All the while it will be missing features and options that the old menu had. Thanks a lot, just what I wanted. Another piece of shit Chromium "app" to run like shit on my high end PC. I miss the days of clean Win32 apps like Winamp, AIM, and the old Steam. Instead now we have slow as fuck UWP and Chromium apps in their place and they run like shit and waste more CPU cycles as well as RAM. For what? No reason other than lazy modern day devs. Fuck I'm mad.

Gamezone

Gold Member
That's just internet nowadays, just a bunch of hateful people, I miss old internet times...

I tried RTX HDR on some games and it works quite well, but for some reason I can't set the max nits to 1000 as calibrated with the Windows 11 HDR calibration tool, it caps at 553 nits for me.
Thus some highlights are less bright than Auto HDR.

So I just switched to HDR Peak 1000 on my AW3423DW, and I instantly got the option to choose 1000 nits in the Nvidia app.

Top Bottom