• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes online play will be region locked

Pikma

Banned
We all know there has to be a catch for every Nintendo game with an online portion, always. So I guess this is the one for Tri Force Heroes:

...You can only play with people on the same region. That should help with latency issues, but is a shame if you wanted to play with friends from around the world.

Also, there's no voice support. When we played, we had to use Skype to communicate. You can send quick emoji-like messages ("over here!" "Totem up" "Item!") which should help out, but if someone doesn't understand the puzzle or how to defeat a boss it will be infuriating.

Source: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Legend+of+Zelda:+Tri+Force+Heroes/news.asp?c=67661

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Of course it will. This is coming from the only company that still regionocks all their consoles.
And doesn't region lock the multiplayer of most of it's games - Mario Tennis, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus etc. all allow you to play with people from other regions.

I thought one of the reasons the communication icons were there was that they could be seamlessly "translated" to multiple languages easily. Latency is a big issue, but if the game sells poorly, you may have a harder time finding partners.

buzzth

No buy for me then. Was looking forward to playing this with my friends from overseas, guess that's not happening. What a shame, it looks fun.

Dystify

While it can be argued if it was a good or bad decision to make it regional, I can understand their reasoning, as lag in action games where you depend so much on each other can be rather frustrating.

I guess they will be using a similar system like in Splatoon, where one console acts as the host of the session and the two others connect to it. It's rather important to have a stable connection/ good internet in this case.

Robin64

That same page also says single-player is "rubbish. Slow and cumbersome"

Yep, the first "Zelda" game I don't buy.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I guess they will be using a similar system like in Splatoon, where one console acts as the host of the session and the two others connect to it. It's rather important to have a stable connection/ good internet in this case.
Isn't even more important in a shooter like Splatoon, which has a region free multiplayer...

As a European who is the same pool as Australia anyway I don't understand the combating lag reason as a Australian connecting to Europe is worse than them connecting to Japan or America.

Sure for randoms put a preference on low latency but if I'm playing with friends, allow me to play with friends.

In the case of local play though the game apparently extensively supports download play so if it is a problem there it can be bypassed.

Now the 3DS has a problem where its wireless connection is underpowered to save battery life and this evidenced by the sluggish download speeds. This might also affect latency.

And doesn't region lock the multiplayer of most of it's games - Mario Tennis, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus etc. all allow you to play with people from other regions.
Actually the 3DS Mario Tennis did region lock.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Emoji-like? Have people already forgotten the umbrella term emoticons.

Also they are more like Line Messenger's stickers.

sphinx

the piano man
question.... if I have my EU/PAL 3DS and game and I travel to North America, can I still play local??

plus, if my internet IP is from America (because duh, I am using WIFI during my stay in NA) can I play online with other people in USA?? or is it locked to EU no matter where in the world I stand?

Wow its region locked? :/ Seriously Nintendo needs to get rid of this bullshit, its only an inconvenience to the customer

Rodin

This is a whole new level of stupid. Hopefully they're going crazy with the stupid shit now, because they know they can't do this crap they seem to love so much with NX.

tbd

Good. Getting connected to people on the other side of the world and having everyone teleporting around is just terrible.

Single-handedly ruined MH3U on Wii U. The biggest challenge was to be the first in the area with the monster so you are the host.

sublimit

Banned
As if hardware region lock wasn't enough now they will start region lock online play as well.Congrats Nintendo.

Hahahahaha. Aaaah. Never change Nintendo. Im sure that kind of practices will be helpful. No voice chat, region locked online for "latency". I'm really curious to see what funny way they'll find to sabotage their next online architecture.

Shiggy

From some people’s perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we’re selling this game worldwide, There are many different regions around the world, and each region has its own cultural acceptance and legal restrictions, as well as different age ratings. There are always things that we’re required to do in each different region, which may go counter to the idea that players around the world want the freedom to play whatever they want.

If Iwata was still around, he could have provided a bullshit explanation like this.

Jonke

Neo Member
I don't get it...

It makes a lot of sense in matchmaking but between friends? I doubt that between friends anyone would care if there's some slight lag. They're not forced together with people across regions, it's up to them if they want to play together. This arbitrary barrier makes no sense whatsoever.

Will probably get it anyway but this hit me hard. :'c

septicore

Now I'm not sure if I want to get this anymore because I know I had 2 friends in the US who wanted to play this with me while I'm from AU.

Shiggy

Now I'm not sure if I want to get this anymore because I know I had 2 friends in the US who wanted to play this with me while I'm from AU.

You could always buy the US version and play that. Oh no, there's region locking on hardware, how unfortunate. But of course you could just buy a new 3DS from the US together with the US version of the game. Sounds fair, right?

rs_500x281-140922150338-tumblr_inline_nblol1xaOq1qac925.gif

It's like Nintendo has an uncontrollable compulsion to make arbitrary decisions that will earn them negative press.

I love you, N. Just please stop doing dumb shit.

There's no text chat whatsoever?? Even Animal Crossing New Leaf had that. Preset messages don't count. Have they forgotten the 3DS has a touch screen?

And the lag excuse for region-lock makes no sense. SSB4 didn't region-lock you online (afaik), and that game's mechanics are much more affected by latency than a slower top-down game like this one.

Once again Nintendo deciding they know what's best for us without even giving us an option.

The worst thing is, this issue could've been fixed with a matchmaking choice. You know, the thing even MKDS did: Worldwide or Region. You could have had options to look for players from your Country, Region or Worldwide. So that everyone is happy. But nooooo.

So your netcode is so bad in this game you decided to region lock instead of put the time in to make it better? Everything about this game looks rushed.

Dryk

While it can be argued if it was a good or bad decision to make it regional, I can understand their reasoning, as lag in action games where you depend so much on each other can be rather frustrating.
They often put Australia in the same region as Europe instead of Japan for matchmaking. It's the worst, we have a hard enough time with online games as it is with our small population and remoteness.

They often put Australia in the same region as Europe instead of Japan for matchmaking. It's the worst, we have a hard enough time with online games as it is with our small population and remoteness.

This. It's a tiresome practice that needs to stop.

tbd

And the lag excuse for region-lock makes no sense. SSB4 didn't region-lock you online (afaik), and that game's mechanics are much more affected by latency than a slower top-down game like this one.

And if you are unlucky Smash is an unplayable mess online due to lag. However, region-locking a competitive fighting game's online mode is not an option.

I have no problem with region-locking a more casual PvE game like this for the sake of playability. Don't want the bosses or other things that need to move synchronously for everyone to stutter and teleport like crazy. Players need to interact with each other as well.

giphy.gif

Mario Kart 8 was also unplayable unless you like getting hit by thin air or crossing the finish line first but then ending up on the third place. Of course in Mario Kart you can choose between regional or worldwide (with even regional being laggy at times) which is ideal but probably too costly for a game like Triforce Heroes anyway.

I'm definitely happy with the lesser evil (regional > forced worldwide) here.

Top Bottom