• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend Of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes online play will be region locked

scitek

one step forward, two step back

Paula_Abdul,_Opposites_Attract_(Candace_Reckinger,_Michael_Patterson).png

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And rightfully so but when forced worldwide is the alternative I gladly accept region-lock instead. Nothing worse than lag.

If only they could invest in dedicated servers or, and I realise it is a lot harder, trust their own consumers to handle a connection quality indicator and/or a player filter which may even start with your region as default but can be widened to show you all players of all region of you so wish....
Seriously, Nintendo is very paternalistic.

Kikujiro

And rightfully so but when forced worldwide is the alternative I gladly accept region-lock instead. Nothing worse than lag.

You're still going to get lag if you play with someone with a bad connection and EU and Australia are considered the same region, so if you're playing with an Australian you're still going to get a shitty connection.

Defending Nintendo for giving people less choice is amusing and sad.

Dominator

I want this to add to the 3DS collection as soon as possible (cause Nintendo games don't drop price for shit, and its a Zelda game, gotta have it) but this game just doesn't look that great to me.

It might improve latency a bit, but I think it would be worth it to not region lock this game. Theres going to be lag even if i'm an hour away from whoever I'm playing with. Nintendo should know better by now.

Game screamed rushed and half assed from the start. A bunch of reused assets from ALBW and now half baked online. I'm tired of Nintendo doing this and thinking its okay.

I'm glad though, that unlike that Splatoon thread from way back, people aren't trying to justify this nonsense. Nintendo is one of the only companies I know that will just outright not add a feature to a game instead of giving their consumers the option and choice as to whether they want to use it or not.

Meh.

Nightbird

Look Nintendo, I get what your intention is, but there is a difference between enforcing something and let the consumer choose. The latter one would be perfect.

co1onel

The fuck nintendo. I was looking forward to playing the game with some people from Europe. No point in buying it now.

Zero_IYAD

For real?!?
Yup, a fellow trainee is working in the same hospital I work at.
He once sent them something like 'Hello, I spent my coins on the following reward, it's supposed to be delivered by now but it's tracking status doesn't show that! I hope you give me more details since I'm planning to ship it internationally to my current location in the ME'.

A few days later they just blocked his account & sent him something like 'We've blocked you're account, this service is only for residents in North America & Canada'.

Nightbird

He once sent them something like 'Hello, I spent my coins on the following reward, it's supposed to be delivered by now but it's tracking status doesn't show that! I hope you give me more details since I'm planning to ship it internationally to my current location in the ME'.

A few days later they just blocked his account & sent him something like 'We've blocked you're account, this service is only for residents in North America & Canada'.

Kotaku should pick up this Story.

This shows again how backwards and unnecessary region lock is.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Come the fuck on, Nintendo...

Greddleok

In my head I know this doesn't matter. I'm almost certainly not going to buy the game since it doesn't look great, and if I did, what difference does it make if I play with PuGs in EU only?

But really, this is annoying. There's no good reason to not at least provide an option. If it's too laggy, the player can just choose regional. It's like they don't understand their fan base. Or maybe they do, and I'm just a cranky old asshole.

Since most of my friends on Nintendo systems are ones I've met online and not in the same region, I will not buy this game then.

Pikma

Banned
Game screamed rushed and half assed from the start. A bunch of reused assets from ALBW and now half baked online. I'm tired of Nintendo doing this and thinking its okay.

I'm glad though, that unlike that Splatoon thread from way back, people aren't trying to justify this nonsense. Nintendo is one of the only companies I know that will just outright not add a feature to a game instead of giving their consumers the option and choice as to whether they want to use it or not.

Meh.
What did they do to Splatoon? Lack of voice chat? Because :lol if that's what you're referring to.

Kotaku should pick up this Story.

This shows again how backwards and unnecessary region lock is.
I know Kotaku is slow but reporting a story that the long closed Club Nintendo would ban your account if you were not in USA or Canada is going a bit far even by their standards.

Was genuinely interested in getting this game but news like this is seriously killing my desire to get it.

It's especially egregious considering that this is supposed to be filler material that's has the purpose of keeping interest in the 3DS alive through the holidays / until the NX can take over...so to put in these unnecessary limitations on the game, in spite of all that? IMO, it comes off a bit as self-sabotage.

Top Bottom