• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Announced For PlayStation 4 And PlayStation Vita

mankoto

20151003_224002.png

Today at the Dengeki Bunko Fall Festival 2015, Bandai Namco revealed Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization for PS4 and Vita, the fourth installment in Sword Art Online’s main console series.

Sword Art Online creator Reki Kawahara, Bandai Namco producer Yosuke Futami, and other developers made an appearance on the stage of the event, where they made the announcement of Sword Art Online: TK.

While details on the story are vague for the time being, some sort of Aincrad “revival” revival was hinted. According to Kawahara, it will tell an “origin” story of Aincrad.

Thanks, Siliconera

RK128

That looks very nice; levels seem to be far more open that in Hollow Fragment and the combat looks fast.

I wonder if this is being made by the Hollow Fragment team or the SAO Lost Song team.....

Either way, great news hearing this (as it will be built from the ground up for the Vita, similar to SAO Lost Song) and I hope we get more news on the title in the coming months :D.

Gameplay looked fluid like Lost Song but it could easily be like Hollow Fragment...still skeptic. Hollow Fragment's gameplay was mediocre at best but Lost Song's is fantastic

Or an actual MMO.

No thanks, I'd rather they make a full-on Aincrad storyline adaption of vol 1/2 + Progressive, but retells the story of Kirito from floor-1 all the way to the battle w/Kabaya, instead of the novel's flashforward to end-game Kirito.

Aincrad is also the defining, iconic staple of the SAO brand. GGO and Elfheim ain't bad, but the average non-fan of SAO will remember Aincrad above all else when it comes to SAO marketing. In a way, it's the biggest anchor for the franchise, the difficulty for the iconic standout of the franchise to go above Aincrad.

Are these games actually any good? Maybe I will check out Lost Song.

It's not a bad game, but it's not a particularly good game either (imo)

A step above kusoges, but it's not in-depth enough both in terms of polish, gameplay and content to give it more than a 7 imo.

Judging from Kirito and Asuna's outfits and the way they hinted at it being a "revival" of Aincrad, my guess is that this is SAO: Progressive in a video game format. That's all I can think of them doing with this one.

Looks good though, probably going to pick it up.

Judging from Kirito and Asuna's outfits and the way they hinted at it being a "revival" of Aincrad, my guess is that this is SAO: Progressive in a video game format. That's all I can think of them doing with this one.

Looks good though, probably going to pick it up.

The trailers pretty much screams "SEQUEL" though. It references events of Hollow Fragment, and new character seems to be the villain who 'revives' Aincrad and forces Kirito and co. back into Aincrad.

I can see an amnesia subplot, or a 'forced reboot' storyline though, where Kirito, with memories of the old game, is forced to relive the same scenario of the first game.

Sakura

It's not a bad game, but it's not a particularly good game either (imo)

A step above kusoges, but it's not in-depth enough both in terms of polish, gameplay and content to give it more than a 7 imo.

Is there dating sim stuff in it?
That's what I would be interested in mainly.

Aincrad is also the defining, iconic staple of the SAO brand. GGO and Elfheim ain't bad, but the average non-fan of SAO will remember Aincrad above all else when it comes to SAO marketing. In a way, it's the biggest anchor for the franchise, the difficulty for the iconic standout of the franchise to go above Aincrad.

Ah, that makes more sense. I've heard that the GGO arc didn't do as well as the other arcs commercially, so that might have also played a role in the return to Aincrad.

Well, I'm ready for some more penetration! xD

Aru

I'd love to see GGO, but I think they should a get a team experienced with shooters for that one

Do they really need that? I think something along the lines of The 3rd Birthday's gameplay could actually work for GGO. They don't need a developer experienced with shooters for that, IMO.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
All I care about is that the bring the same combat system used. Though think the so called "improvements" they did for the filthy casuals made some things go backwards as it took out a bunch of challenge with the title itself. Though they do need to rework the animations and such.

That and this time from the start they need to put in a map system that actually works unlike the original and the slap together fix in the patch.

Will be nice to have a fully world reworked with the Vita specs as the limitations. Though am hoping for a town that has more to do in it. As for the most part the town in IM / HF was pretty pointless. Or even towns for that matter, since was a shame that most of the other stuff was just a background image with a menu instead.

Arzehn

Environments and enemies look much better than previous games. Characters still don't look or animate much better though. Still pretty good upgrades for a crossplatform Vita game. Better HD treatment than God Eater imo.

Ryan95

The trailer points out that is PS4 footage, but I hope the Vita version will not be that different, and that it will be localized. I am happy that Aincrad environment got a huge bump; the only thing I'd like to see more is combat, as I'd like to see if they kept the MMO-like Hub.

Bittercup

Is there dating sim stuff in it?
That's what I would be interested in mainly.
I haven't played Lost Song yet but in Hollow Fragment the main character is already in an established relation ship with one of the girls at the start of the game.
The dating then is just a very shallow mini game and storywise nothing changes. You are still in the same relationship. Better don't expect too much from it.
It's still a fun game with an interesting combat system but not a good dating sim.

Top Bottom