• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Announced For PlayStation 4 And PlayStation Vita

L.O.R.D

Why people not happy about being in Aincrad again?
This is a reboot for the series
I still can't imagine how that Japanese team will make a shooter game , they should give it to another developer and that is a hard thing because of licensing issues with project sword art

Gridman

Neo Member
Let me start from floor 1 and work up through Aincrad my way. Let me chose which of the girls to date and 'marry' instead of forcing Asuna on me. Let me have opportunities to save certain characters that didn't make it to the end. Let me have MMO-style floor exploration and questing with other online players. At the end of the day, let me have an open world what if style SAO game set in Aincrad from the beginning. It could be fun.

Stuart444

Why people not happy about being in Aincrad again?
This is a reboot for the series
I still can't imagine how that Japanese team will make a shooter game , they should give it to another developer and that is a hard thing because of licensing issues with project sword art

Lost song is from another developer. Same pub but another developer than HF.

I'm guessing this is done by the HF devs.

Looks like we're getting to explore more/all of Aincrad? (for those that haven't played it, we only got floor 76+)

Looks really good regardless. I can't wait :D

Let me start from floor 1 and work up through Aincrad my way. Let me chose which of the girls to date and 'marry' instead of forcing Asuna on me. Let me have opportunities to save certain characters that didn't make it to the end. Let me have MMO-style floor exploration and questing with other online players. At the end of the day, let me have an open world what if style SAO game set in Aincrad from the beginning. It could be fun.

Yeah, not this game. Maybe another one but this is clearly a sequel to SAO:HF rather than a "what if" story of the original storyline.

I could definitely go for a game like this, but it'd also be nice if we didn't have to be Kirito too. Just have a player created character and start from the beginning at floor 1.

Yasumi

Banned
Looks surprisingly good. I didn't really like Hollow Fragment, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Olengie

I actually wanted a Gun Gale Online game. But I'll wait for it while I get Hollow Realization. Hopefully, the next two games are Gun Gale Online and Underworld, but that's just me.

RK128

The trailer points out that is PS4 footage, but I hope the Vita version will not be that different, and that it will be localized. I am happy that Aincrad environment got a huge bump; the only thing I'd like to see more is combat, as I'd like to see if they kept the MMO-like Hub.

I wouldn't worry about the Vita version; Bamco treats the Vita well regarding cross-platform titles (Ex: Lost Song is being localized for Vita in the west and Digimon Cyber Sleuth is also landing on Vita in the west), so I wouldn't worry about the upcoming SAO game :).

The only thing to really worry about are performance issues and/or it not getting a retail copy in the west. The former I could see happening, but it looks similar to Lost Song; built for the Vita originally and up-ported to PS3/PS4, so who knows. The latter I expect it to be digital only in the west but again, Lost Song is getting a retail copy.

Seriously hoping for this to be HF2 gameplay wise. HF's gameplay, was in my opinion some of the best stuff I had on my Vita. This has the potential to be REALLY good.

I actually wanted a Gun Gale Online game. But I'll wait for it while I get Hollow Realization. Hopefully, the next two games are Gun Gale Online and Underworld, but that's just me.

Well, we have heard nothing regarding an SAO III, yet and the Alicization arc in the light novel series is still going. Maybe a GGO game will be made down the line before SAO III finally airs.

Mailbox

Seriously hoping for this to be HF2 gameplay wise. HF's gameplay, was in my opinion some of the best stuff I had on my Vita. This has the potential to be REALLY good.

Yep, super deep and fun at the same time.

If they keep that up and add some verticality I'm so in!

Well, we have heard nothing regarding an SAO III, yet and the Alicization arc in the light novel series is still going. Maybe a GGO game will be made down the line before SAO III finally airs.

Well we are probably gonna be getting this first which means we will be waiting for SAO III for a while.

Yep, super deep and fun at the same time.

If they keep that up and add some verticality I'm so in!

Yeah I can't really tell if the commands are the skill based ones we had from HF, just a lot more fluid, or if it is another Lost Song game, meaning direct action input. I really hope it goes back to its roots. Man just talking about HF makes me want to go back and play again.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Animations are rock solid. Seems like they're using a modified engine of Lost Song?

They better not as its a shit engine for melee combat and meant more for flight.

Lost Song was a reskinned Macross 30 with a tiny ass budget in comparison.

Not to mention wrong dev team. As Lost Song is Artdink, same goes for the engine that Lost Song uses.

My guess would be its what Aquria the original team has been working on which is why BanNam did the stopgap low budget route and got Artdink with their existing "Macross" engine to make Lost Song to keep folks busy with something in the mean time. Though its not listed on the Aquria HP yet.

I wish they made an actual Aincrad Online mmo, which you have to play with a PSVR with special firmware. Trapped forever in a fantasy world that is actually trying to kill me. <3

Awesome news, looks like Hollow Fragment's skill pallette will be back, also other interesting details in the link:

Regarding the development concept…

Futami: “We wanted to make a game where Kirito starts from Level 1 at the beginning. That’s the kind of concept it is.”

Hirayae: “We want people to play in the world of the early days of Sword Art Online and then gradually start to feel like something is off as they progress.”

Futami: “The setting looks like Aincrad, but as a matter of fact, it’s a different world. It’s a world where everything is connected buy adjoining land, not a world divided into different layers.”

How are the action elements compared to Lost Song?

Hirayae: “You’ll fight and raid using a skill palette, and there are a number of management elements where you can direct your party members and such. One of the main features of the system is how these action and management elements coexist. Unlike Hollow Fragment, this time, you can take along up to three people. For example, one person could raise the toss, the second person could use a sword skill, the third person could restrain the enemy, and finally Kirito can deliver the finishing blow.

Regarding the heroine…

Futami: “She’s about 14 years old. The heroine is an AI character, and that AI will develop as she adventures with Kirito and friends.”

Just saw Gematsu's article and my interest has greatly elevated. It sounds like the best parts of Hollow Fragment and Lost Song are put together. Also, interesting that the world is not Aincrad despite it looking like Aincrad...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh fuck that for touch enabled skill panel.

Since the shit worked fine the way it was initially, why make it a mess with using something like touch.

Pics_nao

Holy shit that looked really good.

Never played HF and I'm looking forward to LS whenever it releases. Definitely looking out for this.

Ravage

Nice! Curious to see how the management element plays out. This will be crucial if there's no direct control over the 3 party members.

raven777

First screenshot

CQuUgs1WUAABplk.jpg:orig

Top Bottom