• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy damn 10th anniversary, Shadow the Hedgehog

I was wondering what a "Devil Doom" looked like since I have never played this gem. Seems about what I imagined. Looks like something out of a JRPG.

Devildoomv2_zpsngwfy8rv.png

I still can't believe this game is a thing.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Welllll if it isn't Shadow!

I worked on this game and it was a pleasure 😊

tbf you might have thought you'd unlock Green Hill Zone again

except it'd be on fire or some shit

No, It's just that since SA2B I had this compulsion to get ALL A ranks/emblems. SA2B, SADX, Heroes, Shadow...

Sonic 06 quickly stopped that trend (All S ranks for Sonic's stages was fucking enough). I never 100% finished a Sonic game again until Generations.

I thought this was going to be like Sonic Adventure 2 but only with the parts people liked, regardless of the gun thing being weird as fuck.
First game I've ever sold alongside Sonic Heroes.

jdkluv

Shadow the Hedgehog is not a good game by any means, but... it is functional. It plays; it has coherent if boring level design, and all the gameplay aspects actually work. The gun-play is surprisingly solid, oddly enough.

Seems like Senoue enjoyed working on the game's soundtrack.

KB7DG0V.png

Daingurse

I remember actually looking forward to this in the build-up to it's release. Never played it. I've beaten Sonic 06, but have never touched this one lol.

NotLiquid

Weird thing, if I recall I got this game for Christmas alongside Prince of Persia Warrior Within.

That was one edgy gaming Christmas.

TrueBlue

Ruined one of my favourite characters :/

All they had to do was make a bunch of SA2 Shadow levels. At least then it might have been at least tolerable. Damn character assassination in so many aspects.

It's finally old enough to be able to play itself.

The funniest thing is when this game came out, I was the perfect age for it and I genuinely believed it to be the coolest thing ever. Now that I think of it, I think this was the first time where I spent the better part of a year genuinely being amped for a game, following every little drop of pre-release info.

I was a pretty weird kid. In that sense I do have a really weird sense of nostalgia for it though, for some reason. Anyone remember that one ending song done by Rob Zombie's brother? Haha man was THAT edgy!

On the bright side, today is also the 10th anniversary of a much better Sonic game.

I traded in Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for this game.

No one can hate this game more than I do.

Holy shit.

I didn't think this game was a complete disaster. At least it was playable.
I liked the multiple ending system as well as the music.

But yeah. The whole gun thing... eeehhh.

Even all these years later, it's still as stupid. It's in the heart of the Sonic Adventure/2/Heroes/Shadow/2006/Unleashed era of utter utter gaming shite.

What kind of idiotic game producers look at a series as wonderful as Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 & Knuckles, jettison absolutely everything about them that was good, and recreate the series with homing attacks, glitch platforming, boost boost boost design, bats with tits, cutscenes everywhere, animals with uzis, hedgehogs chasing presidential limos, forced character sequences, werehogs, beastiality, and terrible terrible level designs surrounded by endless bottomless pits.

The decisions that went into making Shadow the Hedgehog and the rest of its ilk, should bar the incompetent idiots behind them from ever ever working on video games again.

The multi-branching storyline idea would be cool for a S3&K game where going through a certain exit influences what levels/order of levels you take during a play through. Really good idea for encouraging playthroughs for a shorter, classic-styled Sonic game if they ever decide to fall back on it.

Everything else about Shadow the Hedgehog putrid shit and it STILL looks good compared to Sonic '06. There's at least a cheesy charm to him in SA2 and Heroes; here everything is just drab, plays awfully, sounds like a bland take on heavy metal and is a total glitch-fest to boot.

I traded in Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for this game.

No one can hate this game more than I do.
one step back two steps forward do it!do it!
Fun fact: I bought this on release and cried because I beat it in one night. Instead of getting RE4 I got this piece of shit and had to wait like 6 months.
Edit: oh and egg man gets killed by shadow
Pfffffffffffft ahahahahahahahaha. I'd have been a total wreck for years if I passed up RE4 or traded in Prime for fucking Shadow during my high school days.

If only they slipped in Jak 2, you could've had the trifecta of edgy platforming antiheroes
I always found it weird how Jak 2 seemed to (at least from professional critics) avoid getting slammed for its dumb tonal shift form the original Jak & Daxter while Warrior Within and Shadow didn't. Jak 2 went one step further and tried to crib off GTA3 a bit even.

Welllll if it isn't Shadow!

I worked on this game and it was a pleasure ��

Your description says you're a tester? Did you help test the game?

Damn. The game's already pretty mind-numbing as it is. Would you have had to do all 326 pathways? Because I probably would've gone mad doing that.

Did you ever run into the really weird, random game crashing? I remember on two of the later stages (Space Gadget and Cosmic Fall), the game would crash and make a REALLY LOUD noise endlessly and it freaked me out so much.

Would you guys believe me if I told you that Black Doom has the same voice actor as Goku?

Lucario too, Sean Schemmel! I met him at a con. He says that voice murdered his throat!

My mom thought all the talk of Black Aliens was racist as shit

Fucking hell, anyone remember that VGCats comic floating around at the time of release where they talked about how now that Shadow has a gun, all the rings would be replaced by watermelons? Some of the dumbest shit ever right there.

Speaking of which, I randomly rediscovered this and holy shit is it a blast from the mid-2000s past.
http://blackdoomisnogood.ytmnd.com/

TheOGB

Banned
Damn, not here...

Seems like Senoue enjoyed working on the game's soundtrack.

KB7DG0V.png
That's nice. I actually enjoy most of this game's soundtrack.

tbf you might have thought you'd unlock Green Hill Zone again

except it'd be on fire or some shit
Aw man, they should have done that. Would have gone perfectly with the reveal trailer.

On the bright side, today is also the 10th anniversary of a much better Sonic game.

CT3G3aSVEAA4BRY.jpg:large
Wait, what? Why the hell aren't we celebrating this good game instead?

Top Bottom