• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy damn 10th anniversary, Shadow the Hedgehog

Zyrox

Yup, I bought and played this game.
Somewhat had fun with it too. Even unlocked the true ending >_>
Fuck that Ark flashback level though, where you have to find/defeat all of these blue liquid things. That shit was godawful. Like, even for Shadow standards.

Also, Sonic Rush was legitimately good. Out of all of Sonic's shitty friends, Blaze is the best one. Yes, better than Tails/Knuckles/Amy.

I traded in Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition for this game.

No one can hate this game more than I do.

kid-church.gif

Typical normies not understanding that the Sonic universe isn't all FLOWERS AND CANDY like the Sonic games they grew up with. You guys probably stopped keeping up on Sonic lore after the Genesis like all the other boring idiots who just go with the mainstream, so I'll give you some slack. But let me just say this...the Sonic you grew up with ISN'T just for kids anymore. The devs realized that competing with Mario was a hollow endeavor because the universe they had created had potential for so much more.

I'm not saying the game is for everyone. It's understandable that not everyone has thick skin. The subject matter alone would prevent it from being a mega hit, kind of like Hostel or Saw or the Satanic Bible. People just don't want to see the darkness. They don't want to acknowledge that every ray of light casts....a Shadow.

JordanN

Banned
I decided to check out gameplay of this a short while ago to see if it was really that "bad", but to my surprise it actually looked worth playing. It's still a 3D platformer that feels close to the Sonic Adventure formula.

If you could remove all edginess that cakes up this game, I would have liked this more than Sonic Heroes.

I like how Shadow can wield a weapon nearly as big as himself with just one hand.

To be fair, it fits the Sonic universe.
Amy Rose wields a hammer that's also big and can be pulled from anywhere.

vqfut2P.jpg

TrueBlue

I'd love to see Shadow in Smash, if only because of the meltdowns that would ensue. Hell, I can see it as a possibility given his popularity - they even referenced the fact that he is "the second most popular character in the whole canon" in the most recent Sonic Boom episode.

He wouldn't even have to be a clone either, save for the Spin Dash.

Eggman should totally get first dibs as a second Sonic rep.

Crayolan

When I was a kid I bought this game, played through the neutral story with no deviation and thought it was confused as to why it was so short.

Years later I learned there was a last story and 100%'d the game to see it. It wasn't until then that I realized just how awful this game was.

Wow, I was in middle school when this came out. Shadow, and Sonic, are my favorite characters, and when I heard Shadow was getting his own game, I was excited... But then the game came out (-__-)

For me this, besides Sonic Boom, is the worst Sonic game made. I had more fun with Sonic 06 than Shadow the Hedgehog. I feel as though the Gunplay was just unnecessary. The driving was clunky, and it didn't get any better in Sonic 06. In SA2, and to some extent Sonic Heroes, shows Shadow is just as powerful and fast as Sonic. Then you have to beat the game 10 times, to get the true ending, that's way too much than it should be. Why couldn't Sonic, Rogue, or Amy, sat down and told him about his past, and save him the trouble?

As much as I want to erase this game out my memory, it did get some good design choices. When you get hit, you don't lose all your rings at once. They didn't map everything to one button like they did in Sonic Heroes.

If for whatever reason, Sonic Team decides to make a sequel to Shadow the Hedgehog, just make it play like Sonic Generations with a better story than what Shadow the hedgehog had.

Johnny made a really good review, and I highly suggest it, that sums up my thoughts perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGPv3fhBWRY

When I was young, I... liked it. I mean, a game with Shadow, guns, dark rock/metal music, aliens and bikes? That was cool as Hell for me when I was 12 years lol.

The only legit good thing about this game is the music, Crush 40 has done a great job, as always.

But anyway, good anniversary Shadow... I guess.

Top Bottom