• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatness of the Star Wars Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

... No, my dear friends, I haven't gone mad. I still think that the Star Wars prequels are mostly an abomination of excessive CGI, wooden acting, terrible writing, and egregious retcons.

But with The Force Awakens coming out soon and the spirit of the holidays (holiday special not included), I wanted a reappraisal of the Star Wars prequels, seen through a different lens.

So, for this thread, rather than focus on any of the negatives of the prequel series, I want us to focus on the positive stuff. The good stuff. And, yes, even the GREAT stuff that the prequels accomplished.

So let me start off with a controversial bang with the most hated and misunderstood character of the whole Star Wars universe:

JAR JAR BINKS
jar-jar-binks.jpg
Jar Jar Binks is stupid. I don't mean the idea behind him is stupid. I mean he's an actual simpleton in the movies. He's a clumsy, oafish, uneducated buffoon intensely disliked by every single character he comes across. Yet he's got a good heart and wants to help people, even at the cost of his own life. He's a pariah, an ostracized embarrassment among his people with no family or friends who gets wrapped up in the largest galactic conflict of all time. He's a little man lost in a sea of powerful despots and galactic rulers.

He's not a comedic character. He's a TRAGIC character. He's the crying clown, the mentally and physically abused joke who struggles to just get through the day and take each step one at a time (these steps sometimes involve poop).
(yes, laugh. Laugh at Jar Jar's pain and suffering.)

We laugh at his misery and misfortune. His "comedy" is at the further expense of his self-respect and dignity and physical well-being.

But against all odds, he manages to survive a war and even earn the respect of his peers! Hurrah for the little man, right?

... Except it's all downhill for Jar Jar at this point. His heroics put him in a position of politics and leadership he is sorely unqualified for and when we next see him, his enthusiasm, joy, and energy have been sucked away.
(he's mellowed out, man)

And we know, like the simple-minded fool that he is, he's easily manipulated by the villains into giving the Emperor the power to seize control of the whole Senate and then the galaxy. He sets this in motion. His kindness and naivety exploited by men in power to create the worst oppression and government the galaxy had ever known... and he helped instigate it.

Jar Jar Binks started off as the funny-talking, ill-respected goofball of the series... but his story arc doesn't end with personal redemption or rising above his status... No, the last moment we see Jar Jar is here...

...at the funeral of one of his dearest friends, a woman whose death he helped pave the way for, while his other dearest friend has become a monster who slaughters children.

This is the final moments of Jar Jar's character... broken, depressed, grieving, and utterly insignificant. His desire to help and save those he cares about availed him naught. His goofy antics and feeble attempts to amuse and entertain are distant memories.

He is a broken and scarred Gungan, one who ends the series in tears and misery, having lost everything and everyone dear to him.

... Jar Jar Binks. The most misunderstood and despised character in Star Wars... and arguably the greatest tragedy in the entire saga.

So, what other elements of the prequels are far better than we give them credit for? What action scenes? What musical scores? What twists? What character reveals? What lore? What aspects of the prequels, through hindsight and through a different lens, rise above the faults?

Let's find out.

I feel like you have gone mad.

I'm not a big Star Wars guy, but I see the appeal and like the originals. The prequels all came out when I was growing up, so they should really hit the spot for me. But they don't. They're just bad.

They all have redeeming qualities (podracing in 1 was sick), but I can't go with you on that journey with Jar Jar, man.

Sojgat

Jar Jar was never the problem, but that doesn't mean he's some kind of great character.

Ewan McGregor was pretty good. I'd have no problem with Disney bringing him back for an Obi-Wan prequel.

nictron

I don't like the prequels. They're coarse and rough and irritating and they get everywhere. Not like the original trilogy. In the original trilogy everything is soft and smooth.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Everything you typed out is wrong. None of it was true. You have failed and should never consider doing this kinda thing again.

DOWN

Banned
They ain't bad blockbusters at all and the delusional Star Wars bandwagon that feels it is so essential to claim they are terrible are far worse than these movies could ever seem

JC Lately

Duel of the Fates was legit awesome. So much that my daughter, who watched the series in numerical order, missed it while watching the OT.

Ein Bear

Ewan McGregor is straight-up awesome in all three movies, and spins some terribly shit lines into gold.

Similarly, Ian McDiarmand is having the absolute time of his life and is insanely enjoyable to watch.

These are the only two good things about the prequels.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Jar Jar Binks started off as the funny-talking, ill-respected goofball of the series...

I never found Jar Jar funny, not even the first time I saw TPM in the theater. I've always found him to be an offensive and insulting character who seemed misplaced in a Star Wars film.

If I had to list some good things about the prequels:

- great music
- pod race
- Darth Maul fight
- Qui Gon was okay
- detective Obi Wan was a cool concept
- the Palpatine / Anakin opera scene
- Palpatine in general was a highlight of all three prequels

Yeah, that's really all I can think of, and I had to struggle a bit to get even that.

Garlador

screen-shot-2014-09-03-at-9-40-53-am.png

One of the worst and out of place lines in cinema history

This, too, deserves more positive attention: the prequel Jedis are hypocrites. Their teachings and their beliefs are outdated, narrow-minded BS with no leeway and their whole lifestyle is built around absolutes without deviation. Suppressing emotions and feelings, fearing rival authority, lacking patience and understanding themselves.

Even the whole "he was prophesied to bring BALANCE to the Force" belief is misread by all these centuries-old wise Jedis. "Balance" was the key phrase here... and they outnumbered the Sith a thousand to one. By the end of the prequels, there are two Sith, two Jedi left.

Balance.

Trago

I still think episode III is a good movie. Best saber fights, best acted(not a high bar to surpass), great music, most memorable dialogue, and almost no Jar jar.

This, too, deserves more positive attention: the prequel Jedis are hypocrites. Their teachings and their beliefs are outdated, narrow-minded BS with no leeway and their whole lifestyle is built around absolutes without deviation. Suppressing emotions and feelings, fearing rival authority, lacking patience and understanding themselves.

Even the "he was prophesied to bring BALANCE to the Force" is misread by all these centuries-old wise Jedis. "Balance" was the key phrase here... and they outnumbered the Sith a thousand to one. By the end of the prequels, there are two Sith, two Jedi left.

Balance.
I thought the prophecy was misread and actually applied to Luke. He killed to last Sith and brought balance to the Force.

Garlador

I thought the prophecy was misread and actually applied to Luke. He killed to last Sith and brought balance to the Force.

But that's not balance at all. It's not even. Dark and light, Jedi and Sith, two opposite, opposing forces.

And Darth Vader kills the Emperor (which kills himself).

Well, technically Anakin's actions ultimately lead to it all. He does kill Palpatine. Luke enabled it.

Also there's more than two Jedi left at the end of the prequels :p

Even the whole "he was prophesied to bring BALANCE to the Force" belief is misread by all these centuries-old wise Jedis. "Balance" was the key phrase here... and they outnumbered the Sith a thousand to one. By the end of the prequels, there are two Sith, two Jedi left.

Balance.

One thing that has long bothered me :
Don't Obi-Wan kill Darth maul by revenge, thanks to the anger of having seen his master killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom