• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Greatness of the Star Wars Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

I think you should have just posted this in this thread that we already had going: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144361

That's asking people why they hate the prequels.

I'm asking people to focus on what the prequels did right and the things they legitimately loved.

Like this, for instance:
dinner12.jpg

Yeah... wear that dress... You knew exactly what you were doing, you coy little minx...

I was with you until I got to the meat of your post and you started talking about Jar Jar. Then you went off the deep end so I'm just going to ignore all that and imagine this post is just a thread about things we liked about those movies even if we are not fans of them. I'm not a fan of the prequels but there are still ideas of worth in them.

The broad strokes are pretty good. The way Palapatine snuck his way into power and the whole Clone Wars thing. Those are neat. The clones in general were great and spawned The Clone Wars tv series which is the best Star Wars since the OT. I actually think making Fett a special clone is actually a pretty cool idea. While TPM may not be the greatest movie, I thought the film had a particular look that I liked that was lost in 2 and 3. The movies had a lot of fun design too, the artists did a good job thinking that stuff up. Some good spaceship, some neat droids. John Williams is John Williams and not much more needs to be said about that. I'm not super into Maul but I gather he has a lot of fans so that's good. I actually liked Jango Fett, he had a more worthy death than Boba had. Boba fell into a hole because he got beat up by a blind man who didn't know he was in a fight, Jango got decapitated while directly fighting a jedi.

I wouldn't say that Obi-Wan killed Maul by revenge. They were both trying to take Maul down before what happened to Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan was in a position where it was kill or be killed straight up. Was there a feeling of revenge in him? Probably, but he would've tried to take him out regardless.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
What if VII is awesome but the hardcore fans hate it and say it's bad like they do to the prequels.

Ok. The only thing I like about the prequels is Darth Mauls design. Not his character since we dont know jack shit about him. Just his design. The pod race was OK, the part where they put Vaders armor on him is OK. Thats all for me.

The dialogue. Remembering the lines from EP2 in particular got me so many girls in high school.

The love scene dialogue is super cringe-worthy, but honestly what I got out of it was this guy who had been sheltered all his life, especially when he became a Jedi, and just got all pent up and talked like a fool around Natalie Portman. I could see myself saying some really stupid shit if I were trying to hit on Natalie Portman. I know I've said stupid shit around many a lady. And, I mean it usually worked out, like you said (I didn't use lines from the movie though lol)

That's not an excuse for bad writing or acting but it's how I deal with it.

Garlador

"you're breaking my heart!"

"She lost the will to live."

That said (gets more gasoline for the fire)...
In an interview with Vanity Fair this week, the creator of the galaxy far far away was asked who he would be if he had to be a Star Wars character. He paused for a moment, equivocating, before offering an absolute truly worthy of a Sith. "Jar Jar Binks," he said, the corners of his mouth curling into a wry smirk.

I hate the bloody prequels, but the Jar-Jar story is sad. I'm sure there's a metaphor for George Lucas in there somewhere but that's for someone far smarter than I am to discover.

bengraven

Like this, for instance:

Yeah... wear that dress... You knew exactly what you were doing, you coy little minx...

That scene represents everything I think is sexy in a woman. My biggest celeb crush, black, leather, choker, bare shoulders, tight bodice.

I remember watching it in theaters going "they shouldn't be allowed to show this, it's too fucking hot".

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What if VII is awesome but the hardcore fans hate it and say it's bad like they do to the prequels.

Lucas didn't write VII nor is he directing it, so the chances of it at least being a decent Star Wars movie are pretty good. And since JJ is at the helm it's chances of being a fantastic movie are actually really great.

We'll know soon enough.

LiK

the prequels are only good if you watch the 4 hour fan edit where they combined all 3 movies and cut out the awful stuff.

Yeah there are stupid lines but there were stupid lines in the originals. The final fights were great and the emperor hamming it up was some of the best stuff in the whole series. I also really enjoyed how they resolved some of the final ties to the original series.

Good god people, expand your horizons. Watch some other movies. Good, bad, the prequels don't deserve 9 million threads and ageless discussion. Move ON.

I like the Clone Wars show, which wouldn't have happened without the prequels. That's literally the only redeeming thing about them.

That's asking people why they hate the prequels.

I'm asking people to focus on what the prequels did right and the things they legitimately loved.

Only one thing comes to mind.

The space battle at the start of Revenge of the Sith. Shit was mindblowing.

Jumeira

Banned
Theres lots of great Star wars in the prequels, to say it isn't while in the same breath proclaiming the originals are fine pieces of film is being dishonest.

Story was superior in the original of course, but I did love the following from prequels

- Pod race, thrilling stuff
- John Williams soundtrack
- Qui Gon
- Darth Maul, best villian since Darth Vader
- Light saber battles
- Yoda/Dooku fight
- Ewan as Obi (Amazingly cast)
- Anakin handling of his mothers death
- Padme/Anakin looking at each other from Jedi temple to his home
- Dooku executed by Anakin
- Palatine teasing of the Dark side with Anakin
- Sidious reveal to order 66
- Obi/Anakin fight
- Darth Vader operating table and assembly
- Darth becoming Emperors apprentice

Lots of highlights, and some classic, memorable moments. I can see why people resent parts of it, but I can't agree with those that say its all bad. It's not. EP 3 is one of the best SW movies in the saga. Ive witnessed non star wars fans turn into fans because of ep3.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That doesn't sound like a story/pacing disaster at all.

Someone linked a fan edit a while back that was on Vimeo that was supposed to be great. It starts off with Obi-wan running into that shield thing then Qui-Gon Jinn is murdered. Obi-wan fights and beats Darth Maul and then it goes into Episode 2.

It was one of the weirdest edits I have ever seen.

Bizazedo

People need to understand that liking something doesn't automatically make it great. It just means you like it.

Sometimes, people like bad things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom