• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming On Linux Thread

FYC

Banned

Psyren

You know i should get around to checking this out properly, running games in Linux i mean..

I haven't gotten around to learning how to properly install the proprietary Catalyst drivers yet on OpenSUSE...

Psyren

Do Radeon drivers still suck under Linux? I would try SteamOS but I'm scared for my R9 270X.

From the little time i spent with trying to run Steam games under OpenSUSE. The OSS drivers are sub-optimal for gaming. Installing the Catalyst proprietary drivers blows up your display server completely, so i'm going to assume i need start the OS without the GUI, probably remove a bunch of stuff, and then try to install the damn thing from the terminal, and hope i still have a working graphical interface afterwards...

cptodin

The proprietary AMD drivers are still a mess as far as I am concerned. I am using Debian, it was ok to use them under Wheezy but they are incompatible with the gnome desktop on Jessie. Got it to work somehow with trickery but performance was very unstable.
I am using the free radeon drivers now.
Considering buying a nvidia card.

FYC

Banned
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/ has automatic scripts for installing games on linux with virtual Wine installations for each game, and Wine itself https://www.winehq.org/.

http://www.steamgamesonlinux.com/ has various windows steam games under wine tested and details for troubleshooting, helpful addition to WineAppDB.

Thanks for posting those.

--

rpkOvNU.png

Trailer

I'd like to recommend Audiosurf 2. It's a rhythm game that lets you use your own music. You control a vehicle of sorts, and you ride on a track the game creates based on your selected song. The primary objective of most modes is to weave through lanes picking up blocks that are placed across the track to the beat of the song and fill a grid with said blocks to score as many points as possible. There are a variety of modes that change the game in interesting ways. The various puzzle modes introduce colored blocks, where you need to connect at least three blocks of the same color to score points. The Vegas mode allows you to shuffle the blocks in your grid, and gives you random power ups periodically. The newly added local multiplayer mode has you jumping and sliding to avoid obstacles. There's a lot more I could cover, but simply put, Audiosurf 2 accommodates multiple playstyles, whether you're looking to just chill out and play along to your favorite music, or give yourself a challenge and compete with others on the leaderboards. And if you don't like any of default modes, or just want more, there's built-in Steam Workshop support, offering a large amount of user-made track skins and modes.

If you don't have any music on your PC, the game has built-in Soundcloud streaming. If the song is on Soundcloud, you can ride it. There's also a Song Of The Day and multiple Popular Songs if you can't decide on what to play. My only nitpick with this is that searching for music seems to only bring up 12 tracks at a time, so you have to be specific in what you want.

Playing on SteamOS at the moment. So far so good. No crashes or performance issues.

Crayon

What's everyone's thoughts on the linux steam library? I think it's come a long way in the last year but I find racing in particular to be underrepresented. Only in the las few months did we get 4 or 5 racing games.

Other that that, I could use a few more 3d platformers. I feel well served for rpgs. And most types of strategy. An old fashioned rts would be nice...

Grief.exe

What's everyone's thoughts on the linux steam library? I think it's come a long way in the last year but I find racing in particular to be underrepresented. Only in the las few months did we get 4 or 5 racing games.

Other that that, I could use a few more 3d platformers. I feel well served for rpgs. And most types of strategy. An old fashioned rts would be nice...

It blows my mind that whenever I check out my Steam Library on Linux I have hundreds of games to play. Quite impressive where this initiative has gone.

I'll have to get in this thread and post my impressions on various games.

Crayon

It blows my mind that whenever I check out my Steam Library on Linux I have hundreds of games to play. Quite impressive where this initiative has gone.

I'll have to get in this thread and post my impressions on various games.

It's very satisfying to see it happen like this. The creation of a commercial games market on linux is a great achievement and much of the credit is due to valve.

When Street Fighter 5 was announced for linux a few weeks ago I just about died. :eek:

mneuro

Divinity and Grid Autosport are good Linux ports (run nearly the same as Windows)

Shadow of Mordor is a mess (can run maxed on Windows and barely keep 30fps on medium on linux on the same hardware).

I have used Linux for years and game on both Windows and Linux with a decent Steam library. I will definitely contribute to this thread.

I own most of the popular linux games as well if anyone has questions about some of the ports.

Edit: Alien is a decent port. It runs at about 75% of Windows performance for me.

mneuro

You know i should get around to checking this out properly, running games in Linux i mean..

I haven't gotten around to learning how to properly install the proprietary Catalyst drivers yet on OpenSUSE...

For the most part, You will have a bad time with AMD GPU's on Linux. One of my desktops have an R9 270X and in Ubuntu I was able to install the Catalyst driver easily but the performance compared to Windows was very bad. A few of the recent linux ports don't even support AMD GPU's.

nded

Wine sure seems to have come a long way. It's pretty cool that I can play my Steam version of GGXrd without Windows. So far the only thing I feel is really missing is proper Xinput support.

I tried Dragon's Dogma as well and that seems to require little to no tweaking aside from FMVs not playing properly. Too bad my video card can't quite keep it at 60fps.

ricki42

What's everyone's thoughts on the linux steam library?

I'm mostly pretty happy with it. I have a huge backlog, so I definitely can't complain about too few games in general. Lots of RPGs, which is fine by me. I'm mainly missing Witcher 3 :(

When Street Fighter 5 was announced for linux a few weeks ago I just about died. :eek:

I can still hardly believe it! Didn't think Capcom would support Linux. Have they announced any date for that? I'm not really into fighting games, but I think I'll get it in the hope that if Capcom sees there's a market on Linux, we might get Dragon's Dogma.

FYC

Banned
Undertale's probably coming to Linux.

A user on the Steam forum had an email chat with the developer, who asked for Linux testers (he has enough now). So hopefully the testing goes well and we get another popular game soon.

http://i.imgur.com/CouYBYP.png
http://i.imgur.com/cGEatu4.png

I can still hardly believe it! Didn't think Capcom would support Linux. Have they announced any date for that? I'm not really into fighting games, but I think I'll get it in the hope that if Capcom sees there's a market on Linux, we might get Dragon's Dogma.

Yes! More Capcom games would be great.

Crayon

The SF5 situation may be much in thanks to the game being on linux friendly ue4. And if that's a really important factor, then that could mean we wouldn't get dragon's dogma.

But the way I look at it, that would be good news in the long run... capcom supporting linux could be a sign that it really is easy to make linux versions now.

FYC

Banned
Bioshock Infinite is giving me some trouble. I have to turn most settings down to low just to achieve 60 FPS, and even then it stutters once in a while. Should be able to run it at much higher settings. I'll try this out later and report back.

Shadow of Mordor is a mess (can run maxed on Windows and barely keep 30fps on medium on linux on the same hardware).

Bummer. I've wanted to pull the trigger on this for a while, but I've seen a lot of people have trouble running it properly.

Have you played Borderlands 2 and/or The Pre-Sequel?

mneuro

Bioshock Infinite is giving me some trouble. I have to turn most settings down to low just to achieve 60 FPS, and even then it stutters once in a while. Should be able to run it at much higher settings. I'll try this out later and report back.

Bummer. I've wanted to pull the trigger on this for a while, but I've seen a lot of people have trouble running it properly.

Have you played Borderlands 2 and/or The Pre-Sequel?

I was actually just playing Borderlands 2 today. I have a g3258/gtx 960 and can run it at 60fps on mostly high settings with FXAA disabled and i think draw distance turned down.

Crayon

Tomb Raider (2013) just got a Linux depot https://steamdb.info/app/203160/history/ . I wonder if this is done by Feral or in-house.
I hope Square-Enix bringing a game to Linux means there's a chance that we'll get the Deus Ex games.

Tomb Raider seems about as unlikely as street fighter 5.

/speculating/ If valve offered a small break in their usual cut to cover porting expenses for linux we not not necessarily know. Especially if it is granted on an individual basis.

I'm thinking that because I'm surprised at all the support. Maybe we are spending way more than average steam users as we try to get noticed? I could give a shit about tomb raider but I'll probably buy and definitely rebuy street fighter just to throw money. Perhaps combined with a misleading ~1% linux usership report on steam?

What I don't believe is that capcom or sqeenix are making these linux versions out of the goodness of their hearts for 1% of the steam population.

ricki42

Tomb Raider seems about as unlikely as street fighter 5.

/speculating/ If valve offered a small break in their usual cut to cover porting expenses for linux we not not necessarily know. Especially if it is granted on an individual basis.

I'm thinking that because I'm surprised at all the support. Maybe we are spending way more than average steam users as we try to get noticed? I could give a shit about tomb raider but I'll probably buy and definitely rebuy street fighter just to throw money. Perhaps combined with a misleading ~1% linux usership report on steam?

What I don't believe is that capcom or sqeenix are making these linux versions out of the goodness of their hearts for 1% of the steam population.

From what I remember when developers actually publish Linux sales data it's usually around a few percent. It makes sense if you have about 1% Linux users and about 25% of games on Linux and if Linux users buy on average about as many games as Windows users.
I guess it depends on how many sales they need to be profitable and how much porting costs. Maybe Tomb Raider will be a Virtual Programming port, though it would be nice if they ported the engine, I think it's the same that was used for DX:HR.

cptodin

From what I remember when developers actually publish Linux sales data it's usually around a few percent. It makes sense if you have about 1% Linux users and about 25% of games on Linux and if Linux users buy on average about as many games as Windows users.
I guess it depends on how many sales they need to be profitable and how much porting costs. Maybe Tomb Raider will be a Virtual Programming port, though it would be nice if they ported the engine, I think it's the same that was used for DX:HR.

Don't forget that when the initial release was not available on linux and was ported later on, all those earlier sales do count as windows versions.
That means everyone that bought a game on sale in hopes of a linux version will not be counted towards linux version sold.

ricki42

Looks like the Batman: Arkham Knight port was cancelled, from the Steam community:
We are very sorry to confirm that Batman: Arkham Knight will no longer be coming to Mac and Linux. If you have pre-ordered Batman: Arkham Knight for Mac or Linux, please apply for a refund via Steam.

Bummer, I had been looking forward to it. Though considering what a mess the Windows port is, I can see why they don't want to put any more money into it. I just hope Feral didn't lose money on this.

On the bright side, a Linux depot for Mad Max showed up on steamdb. I had thought that one had been cancelled, but looks like we might still get it after all.

ricki42

I just spent most of the day looking for data on Linux gaming, thought I'd share the results:
About Linux sales:
I used data that was posted on gamingonlinux.com and comes from the developers. The average share of Linux sales is (3.2 +/- 0.4)%. The median is 2.7%.
For Humble Bundle sales, Cheese has a very nice collection of Humble Bundle sales data from May 2010 to February 2016. According to that, Linux accounts for 4.7% of purchases and 6.9% of payments.
It would be nice to have similar data for some bigger releases, but then usually bigger games tend to be very late on Linux, so it wouldn't be representative.

I also looked at Steam users and Steam Linux games:
I plotted the total number of active Steam accounts; starting Jan 2013 1% of that are Linux users according to the survey. So as of last February, that's 1.25 million. I tried to extrapolate and came up with 160 - 190 million total Steam users, though of course the growth has to slow down at some point. Still, considering that SteamOS/BPM isn't even counted in the survey, I think >1.5 million Linux users on Steam seems realistic.
Also, it's nice to see that the number of Linux games on Steam is growing at roughly the same rate.

As for other stores, according to the GoL survey retailer statistics, about 90% of participants buy games on Steam, so about 10% of Linux users are anyway not in the Steam statistics. This, too, has stayed pretty much constant since September 2014, while the number of participant has an upward trend. It seems that Linux outside Steam has grown at roughly the same rate as on Steam, though the GOL survey has limited statistics with a lot of the same folks participating every month.
All in all, this brings the total number of Linux gamers to an estimated 1.6 - 2 million.

ricki42

HItman (2016) just got a Linux depot on SteamDB. I just hope this means Square Enix will be more likely to bring future games to Linux as well. I'm still hoping that one day we'll get a Deus Ex game.

Crayon

Square Enix support is still surprising. It's welcome though. They have some really good stuff. I'll show up for hitman.

And I want that deus ex bad.

Joezie

Always glad to hear from the Linux Crew!

Next rig will be fully Slackware powered so Hitman(if true) is a great addition to the potential library.

Quotient

I use Linux Mint as my main OS both at work and at home. At home my setup is Linux Mint on a 256gig SSD and Windows on a 500gig SSD. I have tried gaming in linux and it still very much a second class citizen.

I am playing through KOTOR2 and runs great on my machine, it even works with the wired x360 pad (including button prompts), unfortunately it tears a lot more than i would like on Linux than Windows, and this may come down to the maturity of the nvidia drivers.

I tried Cities Skylines and the audio wouldn't work, plus the graphics had a slightly blurry look to them.

I think i'll continue to use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else.

Crayon

I use Linux Mint as my main OS both at work and at home. At home my setup is Linux Mint on a 256gig SSD and Windows on a 500gig SSD. I have tried gaming in linux and it still very much a second class citizen.

I am playing through KOTOR2 and runs great on my machine, it even works with the wired x360 pad (including button prompts), unfortunately it tears a lot more than i would like on Linux than Windows, and this may come down to the maturity of the nvidia drivers.

I tried Cities Skylines and the audio wouldn't work, plus the graphics had a slightly blurry look to them.

I think i'll continue to use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else.

If you are interested in a curious experiment, you can install the steamos session/compositor and log into... and turn off all your vsync and see that there's no tearing at all. I'd really like for this ability to show up on regular desktop distros someday but hard;y anyone knows about it.

ricki42

From article:

End of year? But why?

I'd love to think he knows something we don't and there's going to be a big wave of big releases, but I suspect he's just making a general statement that over the next couple of months a couple more games will release. I mean, depending on what you consider AAA, Feral likely has something coming before the end of the year (kind of hoping their radar is hinting at Doom but I don't really expect it), the new Hitman already has a depot on steamdb that was populated just this morning, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris got a Linux depot last week (no data yet), Rocket League is on Valve time, Street Fighter V was announced for Linux, Civ 6 is coming.
With the recent releases and announcement from Square Enix I hope we get some more of their games, I'd love to play Deus Ex on Linux!

Crayon

I'm inclined to think the same. It's more likely just a generalization.

The possibility that he knows something... I just as soon not get my hopes up. Dell's making another round of steam machines. And all the games you mentioned are queuing up. That's enough good news without any speculation to muddy it.

Nzyme32

Not sure if you guys are aware; I went to Scan Computer when I was near by and got chatting about stuff with someone there and got on the topic of Linux. Apparently they have more prebuilt Steam Machines. Indeed checking the website you can get different machines compared to what they had last year. No idea if that is something very new, but he seemed to think so.

Crayon

hey Nzyme

I'm looking at scan.co.uk for the steam machines. Is that the right place? Either way, I can't find anything on there can you link me?

Crayon

Okay so I'm looking here and those are tidy little machines they have there. Trading blows with the current alienware at the low end and the revised 960-toting version at closer to 700gbp/1000usd.

Still pretty expensive. I want to see steam machines around the 500 usd mark soon and lower in the years to come.

The i3/750ti level alienware is reasonable when it's was on sale for 400-450. The 600-1000usd regions are probably fine for now considering it's still a very small market.

I feel like AMD needs to get their act together with their Linux drivers. They were in a far, far, FAR worse state a few years ago, but they seemed to have devolved back a bit and just don't work well in Linux. I'm curious if this has anything to do with them helping with the kernel driver to get it more stable. As it is, nVidia is still the best way to go with Linux GPUs both for support and performance.

I think we'll also start seeing better boosts once we're able to drop X in favor of Wayland as the display server, since it will be reworking a lot of what has made X work for years while bringing it into a modern age by not requiring everything to be pushed to a component that is pushed to a component that is pushed to yet another component. I should have to define a large X session and layer other X sessions on top of that to get multiple monitors working, for example.

ricki42

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided just got Linux depots on steamdb! Looking forward to playing this on Linux!

Rocket League also has been getting a bunch of activity recently, I hope they'll finally release this.

Joezie

For those of you Linux peeps who may have backed Kingdom Come: Deliverance on a Linux port...you may want to start paying a bit more attention. It's starting to show the same signs of other similar games who make put in a Linux port for extra cash and then slowly withdraw from the platform.

From the video
"then the rest we'll have to see" ... "whether it's linux, vr support, etc" .. "that's something we have to deliver later" .. "IF we deliver it"

Their KS FAQ(though to be fair I suppose, it does look like they'll be offering refunds, worst case scenario)
About platforms: we are using proven technology (Cryengine by CryTek) that runs on both PS4 and Xbox One, as well as on Windows PC, Mac and Linux. While we are developing on PC, we definitely want to bring the game to other platforms. While there should be nothing but technical problems with Linux and Mac, on closed platforms we need to deal with the platform holders and we cannot prejudge their decision. In an ideal world, we would release the game on all five platforms at the same time.

In our world, we can offer you PC version in all tiers. From the “Baron” tier above, you will be able to choose our game on any platform you wish from those mentioned above (i.e. Windows PC / Mac / Linux / Xbox One / PS4), with the proviso that on consoles the game must be approved by the platform holders first. In case we are not able to finish or release the game on the platform you chose for any reason, you will be able to choose again (from available platforms) or demand your money back.

Top Bottom