• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming On Linux Thread

Nvidia and AMD don't support Linux too well right with their drivers? A shame..

Nvidia drivers are excellent. AMD drivers, at least the few times I've used them, are pretty decent for what they are, but you get similar performance from the open driver as the AMD binary.

But then, every time I've tried to run Ubuntu the drivers packaged for it are awful garbage.

FN-2187

Nvidia and AMD don't support Linux too well right with their drivers? A shame..

I tried gaming on Linux for about 3 months when I first built my computer 2 years ago. I tried both the AMD drivers with my APU and the NVIDA drivers with my GPU. My experience was that the AMD drivers were kinda terrible, but the NVIDIA drivers were actually pretty great. I can't recall experiencing any issues with any of the games I tried. Not sure if anything has changed though.

Joezie

Warhammer party keeps growing on Linux!

Dawn of War II, along with Chaos Rising and Retribution are coming to Linux next Thursday.

CtCCCQkWgAAeOHR.jpg

Joezie

Mesa has hit full OpenGL 4.4 support and 4.5 is also already finished for both Radeonsi and Intel.

Though it seems they can't officially expose either until they or someone else can foot the bill for certification testing.

In other less fortunate news, it seems another kickstarter who promised a linux release has once again reneged on that promise. Due to the platform specific technology, Through the woods is no longer coming to Mac or Linux. An announcement coming only 2 weeks before the game's release date.

Joezie

Once again, if you've kickstarted or otherwise pre-ordered Kingdom Come: Deliverance with the expectation of receiving a Linux copy, I'd strongly recommend you seek refunds in the near future.

Greetings,

I can confirm that there won't be a Linux version on release date. I can confirm that we keep the Linux version in mind and would like to realize it in future, however we can't promise that this ever will happen.

Sincerely,

Tobias Stolz-Zwilling
PR Manager
Warhorse Studios
@T0_8I

For those of you interested in WINE developments, outside of the newest stable major release in 2.0, a series of 23 patches have been submitted not yet in Wine staging nor Wine Git related to Direct3D11 with the apparent result of at least booting up overwatch.

1481570379wwn404-overwatch.png

Finally, Penguin Recordings on youtube has brought a nice video surmising Feral's 2016 Linux output. Along with this, reminding us to expect Feral's first Vulkan title within the first half of 2017.

Really fantastic video from Penguin Recordings showing Doom 2016 running under WINE with staging on Ubuntu 16.10 with Vulkan enabled and using a GTX1070.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk

The performance is mindblowing for something running under a compatibility layer. Doom is running up to 190FPS with ultra settings at 1600*900 windowed mode with 5-7MS frametime. At 1080p, the framerate jumps anywhere between 120-160 at ultra settings.

This is running with Wine in a non native form and it is really showing how much of a game changer that Vulkan can be when run under Linux natively. The performance is incredible and I am outright impressed!

Another video comparing openSUSE 42.2 with WINE staging (left) to Windows 8.1 (right): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE The Vulkan performance on Linux using wine is trading blows with the native Windows 8.1 performance... and on an AMD card as well...

Crayon

So regrettably, Valve did something ridiculous a few weeks ago and broke steam controller compatibility with linux including steamos machines. You need to update udev rules to get the controller working again. Sure enough, my two controllers stopped working across 3 machines and I had to do this for all of them.

Heres the details for anyone who needs to fix this.

This is a ridiculous oversight on valve's part. There has been some bad stuff but this takes the cake. To think that if someone had bought a steam machine, the controller would have stopped working over a week ago with not a peep from valve. I wonder what Alienware would do for a steam machine owner (who could not fix it themselves) in this case. I suppose walk them through the fix?

Crayon

42 of the 100 top selling games in 2016 on Steam had Linux Support.(Not counting Steam controller which was listed as a game for whatever reason)

Out of 60 Bronze titles, 24 had Linux support.

Out of 16 Silver games, 9 had Linux support

Out of 12 Gold games, 4 had Linux support

And out of 12 platinum games, 5 had Linux support.

It was a big improvement over last year. I have over 150 linux games on steam now. We got XCom 2 this year, Deus Ex, Mad Max, Tomb Raider, Total War Warhammer and super late Rocket League.

On the indie side, I don;t even know because those are coming in such number that I never get a sense that it is a subset of the ones available for windows.

The most important thing is that my library on linux is pretty much rounded now. This time last year, there were actual genre holes like racing games and rts. Now that's all there. Things are going really good. :D

Feels great!!!

TriAceJP

Any word from Blizzard in backing an Overwatch Linux release?

I know they were very much supporting the Vulkan project yet nothing they have runs on it.

42 of the 100 top selling games in 2016 on Steam had Linux Support.(Not counting Steam controller which was listed as a game for whatever reason)

Out of 60 Bronze titles, 24 had Linux support.

Out of 16 Silver games, 9 had Linux support

Out of 12 Gold games, 4 had Linux support

And out of 12 platinum games, 5 had Linux support.

Huge improvement over last year. I hope Vulkan drives further adoption on AAA games next year. It's a little unnerving that the one big AAA game using Vulkan now is not on Linux. Even stranger is that Doom uses OpenGL by default, which should also be theoretically an easier port.

Crayon

Any word from Blizzard in backing an Overwatch Linux release?

I know they were very much supporting the Vulkan project yet nothing they have runs on it.

I haven't heard nothin. But if they get someone over there who cares about making it play better with wine, that can go a long way.

Like take eve online, for example. They had a linux client, but with the usual linux usership for such a big game, it apparently didn't make sense for them. So they stopped the linux client and instead focused on making it wine friendly. So they could still interact with the linux community and in some ways the experience on linux could improve overall.

Crayon

Huge improvement over last year. I hope Vulkan drives further adoption on AAA games next year. It's a little unnerving that the one big AAA game using Vulkan now is not on Linux. Even stranger is that Doom uses OpenGL by default, which should also be theoretically an easier port.

Yeah that does suck but I guess we're just not there yet. It would be great if Apple gave a shit. That would help a bunch.

We should really join forces with mac gamers. I know ter are some on here. Probably more than linux gamers.

Mac gamers, you out there?

HELLOOOOOO?

2324800ee26ffb5132788ee10ba2956cca9c599b5e87759517b10d86c6e412c1.jpg

Get in here. How was your year in game releases, lil applers?

knerl

Drivers in combination with differenct hardware and linux distros and desktop managers is a world of knowledge in it's own it seems.

New Ubuntu 16.04 user here.
Tried installing the 375.26 drivers using Nvidia's .run installer, but that eventually lead to a broken system. Seems there's a lot of dependencies that has to be taken care of trying this approach. Purged everything nvidia and relied on a PPA that allowed me to install this driver using apt via the cli instead. Seems to be working correctly, but just like the recommended proprietary drivers through the "additional drivers" application I don't get any vsync.

Running the OS on my laptop that has a i7 6700 and a gtx 960m. Could it be that the drivers from the PPA just aren't proper or do I manually have to do something else for it to kick in? Additional Intel drivers perhaps seeing as how the 960m is a co-processor?

Using nouveau I don't get any tearing, but performance of course is horrible for anything 3D.

cptodin

Drivers in combination with differenct hardware and linux distros and desktop managers is a world of knowledge in it's own it seems.

New Ubuntu 16.04 user here.
Tried installing the 375.26 drivers using Nvidia's .run installer, but that eventually lead to a broken system. Seems there's a lot of dependencies that has to be taken care of trying this approach. Purged everything nvidia and relied on a PPA that allowed me to install this driver using apt via the cli instead. Seems to be working correctly, but just like the recommended proprietary drivers through the "additional drivers" application I don't get any vsync.

Running the OS on my laptop that has a i7 6700 and a gtx 960m. Could it be that the drivers from the PPA just aren't proper or do I manually have to do something else for it to kick in? Additional Intel drivers perhaps seeing as how the 960m is a co-processor?

Using nouveau I don't get any tearing, but performance of course is horrible for anything 3D.

Try
Code:
vblank_mode=0 glxgears
that should enable vsync. If you want to start a game in Steam for example, you have to add
Code:
vblank_mode=0 %command%
to the launch options if I remember correctly

Also take a look at bumblebee. It should also be in the repositories

knerl

Try
Code:
vblank_mode=0 glxgears
that should enable vsync. If you want to start a game in Steam for example, you have to add
Code:
vblank_mode=0 %command%
to the launch options if I remember correctly

Also take a look at bumblebee. It should also be in the repositories

Sorry, but where is the vblank option supposed to go?
Nvidias x server settings? The Xorg.conf I mean?

EDIT: Installing the mesa-utils and running above command in the terminal I take it this only enables vsync for provided applications? I'd like to use vsync on at all times for the desktop.

cptodin

In the terminal or steam launch options depending on what you want to do.

The first code was just an example to see if it works if you start it from the terminal

LordRaptor

Yeah that does suck but I guess we're just not there yet. It would be great if Apple gave a shit. That would help a bunch.

We should really join forces with mac gamers. I know ter are some on here. Probably more than linux gamers.

Mac gamers, you out there?

HELLOOOOOO?

Everyone I know Mac gaming just Bootcamps anything that doesn't have its own mac build.
Apple dropping OGL in favour of Metal isn't likely to improve cross-platform development either, unless theres a sudden huge boom in traditional game purchasers on Apple devices (and even then has little to no benefit for Linux).

knerl

In the terminal or steam launch options depending on what you want to do.

The first code was just an example to see if it works if you start it from the terminal

Well the glxgears window tears like every other while running this so I guess it doesn't.

pmj

EDIT: Installing the mesa-utils and running above command in the terminal I take it this only enables vsync for provided applications? I'd like to use vsync on at all times for the desktop.

The Nvidia X Server Settings program has a Sync to VBlank option under OpenGL settings. If checked, it should (try to) apply vsync to any OpenGL program that you run.

Nvidia's proprietary drivers and vsync on Linux is unfortunately a bad combination. Nothing stops many games from tearing on my machine and that's a problem a lot of people seem to have.

I've tried a bunch of supposed fixes in the past, none of which did anything, but this actually seems to work.

I just started up Pillars of Eternity and scrolled the camera in circles and it was perfect.

knerl

The Nvidia X Server Settings program has a Sync to VBlank option under OpenGL settings. If checked, it should (try to) apply vsync to any OpenGL program that you run.

Nvidia's proprietary drivers and vsync on Linux is unfortunately a bad combination. Nothing stops many games from tearing on my machine and that's a problem a lot of people seem to have.

I've tried a bunch of supposed fixes in the past, none of which did anything, but this actually seems to work.

I just started up Pillars of Eternity and scrolled the camera in circles and it was perfect.

Unfortunately I don't have a setting for vsync under opengl settings in the nvidia x server settings program at all. Neither did the fix proposed work. Trid both commands suggested in the link.

Could this be due to the gtx 960m using optimus? Is Nvidia Prime the culprit?

pmj

Unfortunately I don't have a setting for vsync under opengl settings in the nvidia x server settings program at all. Neither did the fix proposed work. Trid both commands suggested in the link.

Could this be due to the gtx 960m using optimus? Is Nvidia Prime the culprit?
Let's see if I can post an image without fucking up...

rznPN6F.png

You don't have this?

Crayon

Everyone I know Mac gaming just Bootcamps anything that doesn't have its own mac build.
Apple dropping OGL in favour of Metal isn't likely to improve cross-platform development either, unless theres a sudden huge boom in traditional game purchasers on Apple devices (and even then has little to no benefit for Linux).

Useless knaves! We'll go it alone.

I know there's still a lot of games that don't support Linux but I feel like I'm living a dream. I still have to switch to Windows from time to time to play some games, but there's a lot out there that I can run on Linux and I love it. Also DS4 support is a huge plus. Thank you Valve/Steam.

Unfortunately GoG support is still pretty slim. :(

knerl

So basically laptops with optimus (intel + discrete gpu from nvidia) needs a kernel of 4.5+ and Xorg 1.19+ for vsync to work while using the discrete gpu. In my case a 960m.

Running Ubuntu 16.04
I've installed kernel 4.6 and 4.8, but now after installing nvidias proprietary drivers I'm stuck at the login screen. I get kicked back as soon as I login. How do I solve this?
I've tried both 367.57 and 375.26 from the additional drivers program.
Like some guides suggest checking I have ownership of my .Xauthority file.
I've tried adding "nomodeset" to my grub config.
Removing nvidias driver and using nouveau it works great.

EDIT: Switching to intel's gpu with "sudo prime-select intel" and rebooting works.
But not the same command but with "nvidia" instead of "intel".

Apparently there doesn't seem to be any available packages of xorg 1.19 for Ubuntu.
Xorg 1.19 is out as such so if anyone knows how one would apply it to Ubuntu I'd be grateful for some guidance.
Other distros such as Fedora has it from the get go, but I'm comfortable with Ubuntu and would like to stick with it.

Joezie

Finally happening.

Civ VI is confirmed to be coming to Linux Soon, courtesy of Aspyr Media.

Aspyr Media announced today that Sid Meier's Civilization® VI, the next entry in the award-winning Civilization® franchise, which has sold-in over 37 million units, is coming soon to Linux!

Developed for Linux by leading games publisher Aspyr Media, Sid Meier's Civilization® VI includes robust city and civilization building, expanded and flexible government systems, a more detailed religion system, improved AI, and Dynamic Diplomacy.

”This is by far the most requested game we get asked for by the Linux community," said Elizabeth Howard, Aspyr's Vice President of Publishing. ”Besides daily inquiries asking for Sid Meier's Civilization® VI, we've also received 12 dozen warm chocolate chip cookies as well as squishy Linux penguins toys for the entire office. To say that we are excited to bring Sid Meier's Civilization® VI to Linux is an understatement."

Witcher 2 and XCOM EU should also now be working with RadeonSI properly with Marek's latest patches.

StereoVsn

Is there an easy way to share an NTFS partition and Steam library between Linux and Windows? I have dual boot Ubuntu setup on my gaming PC but don't feel like having a second copy of my Steam games.

Crayon

I know there's still a lot of games that don't support Linux but I feel like I'm living a dream. I still have to switch to Windows from time to time to play some games, but there's a lot out there that I can run on Linux and I love it. Also DS4 support is a huge plus. Thank you Valve/Steam.

Unfortunately GoG support is still pretty slim. :(

Yeah it's pretty badass. Between Linux and a ps4, I hardly ever start Windows now. And even when I do, the home streaming lets me use it from my preferred environment. I'm about ready to switch to an AMD GPU with that open source drive, too. It's like you said. Like a dream. So much progress in so short a time.
Great news on civ 6. Civ is a staple of PC gaming and I'm glad we're getting it. I understand that apsyr has to handle the port. I'm just glad that type of arrangement is feasible right now because that's how we are getting a lot of the bigger games.

Crayon

Is there an easy way to share an NTFS partition and Steam library between Linux and Windows? I have dual boot Ubuntu setup on my gaming PC but don't feel like having a second copy of my Steam games.

Linux will see the NTFS part but the Linux versions of the steam games are their own binaries, if I'm not mistaken. They need to be installed seperateky. I just install everything that runs good on Linux on Linux and the rest on Windows and reboot s neccessary. A little inconvenient but I consider it putting in a bit for the good of open PC at large.

So basically laptops with optimus (intel + discrete gpu from nvidia) needs a kernel of 4.5+ and Xorg 1.19+ for vsync to work while using the discrete gpu. In my case a 960m.

Running Ubuntu 16.04
I've installed kernel 4.6 and 4.8, but now after installing nvidias proprietary drivers I'm stuck at the login screen. I get kicked back as soon as I login. How do I solve this?
I've tried both 367.57 and 375.26 from the additional drivers program.
Like some guides suggest checking I have ownership of my .Xauthority file.
I've tried adding "nomodeset" to my grub config.
Removing nvidias driver and using nouveau it works great.

EDIT: Switching to intel's gpu with "sudo prime-select intel" and rebooting works.
But not the same command but with "nvidia" instead of "intel".

Apparently there doesn't seem to be any available packages of xorg 1.19 for Ubuntu.
Xorg 1.19 is out as such so if anyone knows how one would apply it to Ubuntu I'd be grateful for some guidance.
Other distros such as Fedora has it from the get go, but I'm comfortable with Ubuntu and would like to stick with it.

I'm not entirely sure how Ubunutu mixes (or doesn't mix) X11 (the xorg server packages) and Wayland, since they're both trying to do the same thing. Usually there's an xwayland binary that is used to run X11 applications that haven't ported to Wayland yet, but I'm not sure how they will interact with the optimus setup. I would imagine bumblebee would still work in this case, but I haven't used an optimus-enabled laptop in quite a while to be able to test it (nor do I use Ubuntu).

knerl

I'm not entirely sure how Ubunutu mixes (or doesn't mix) X11 (the xorg server packages) and Wayland, since they're both trying to do the same thing. Usually there's an xwayland binary that is used to run X11 applications that haven't ported to Wayland yet, but I'm not sure how they will interact with the optimus setup. I would imagine bumblebee would still work in this case, but I haven't used an optimus-enabled laptop in quite a while to be able to test it (nor do I use Ubuntu).

Came across this: http://igor-zivkovic.from.hr/BLFS/x/xorg-server.html
How hard would that be to apply in Ubuntu you think? I know you don't use it, but still.

Came across this: http://igor-zivkovic.from.hr/BLFS/x/xorg-server.html
How hard would that be to apply in Ubuntu you think? I know you don't use it, but still.

It wouldn't be difficult, per se, but it would be a lot of work because you're not just updating xorg-server but any other xorg packages needs to be updated to match. There may also be other packages built using the current xorg release (1.18) that might need to be rebuilt in the event something significant changes between them.

Consider that 1.19 has been stable since November and only a few distros have it in their mainline (even Arch, which is my daily driver, only has it in the testing repo) it's a rather large package update.

kendrid

Banned
I have an older i5 4GB RAM laptop and I installed Xubuntu on it for my daughter to use as a Minecraft laptop. With Windows 10 Minecraft ran around 15-20 fps. Now with Linux it is 35-40. I am impressed.

jmga

Is anyone else having problems when using the DualShock 3 as "Generic Steam Controller"?

This is what I posted on Steam Forums:
I can use the PS3 controller just fine, but when I enable the Generic Gamepad Support for being able to configure it like a Steam Controller several unknown devices (3, 4 or maybe more) appear as detected controllers plus the PS3 controller detected as a "Steam Controller". But no input is detected in this mode.

I have manually added the udev rules and rebooted without any changes.

I'm using the very last beta client from today.

Top Bottom