• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hololens FoV "like standing 2ft away form a 15" monitor

Raist

Banned
Microsoft has revealed a few more details about its still in-development augmented reality headset HoloLens.

Neowin grabbed the information from a Tel Aviv tech event attended by Microsoft’s technical evangelist Bruce Harris.

Perhaps the most notable detail is that concerning the device’s field of view. It was revealed last July that the staggering June E3 demo wasn’t quite representative of the actual user experience.

And indeed, Harris said that the final FOV is equivalent to a person standing two feet away from a 15-inch monitor. These restrictions have been implemented to both reduce cost and increase battery life. Harris did add, however, that he expects this particular aspect of HoloLens’ functionality to be improved with later iterations.

In better news, HoloLens will be completely wireless, supporting Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. A single charge can run for as long as 5.5 hours although heavy use can bring this down to 2.5 hours. Universal Windows 10 apps will also be natively supported.

HoloLens doesn’t yet have a release date.

Source

Ethelwulf

Hopefully they can make some enhancements as this technology look promising! But yeah, as it is, not really exiting.

Looking forward to Hololens MK III, much like most of the new tech around gaming right now its going to be the 2nd, 3rd or 4th iteration that are going to be for the masses.

DieH@rd

Banned
Expected. Early reports mentioned same thing.

Yeah, that seems tiny. it is really that small?

It's so small that that dude who demoed minecraft demo must have been able to see only few blocks in his vision. But, we saw the fancy "external camera view" that showed everything and everyone was amazed with the potential.

Man

Pretty useless as-is. Low-level AR will start to become reality once we master eye-tracking and lightfield technology. VR is part of the path leading to acceptable AR. I'm expecting practical products in 2025.

I tried it in a demo, fov is really restrictive and gestures very basic. Hopefully both will improve in future iterations (if there are any!).

cyba89

It's so small that that dude who demoed minecraft demo must have been able to see only few blocks in his vision. But, we saw the fancy "external camera view" that showed everything and everyone was amazed with the potential.

First iteration honestly sound like Project Natal > Kinect all over again.
Hopefully the tech can greatly improve in further iterations. But it sounds like tech whose full potential (how we saw it demoed) is still plenty of years away.

Mula

I see no future for AR in gaming , it's very limited as opposed to VR .
Your gaming experience in AR is limited to your room . In VR, there are no limits .

Ardenyal

Kxg.gif

15" is tiny :/ Also battery life is worse than Dual Shock 4.

Expected. Early reports mentioned same thing.

microsoft does this almost every single time. I can't take any tech demo they do seriously anymore. They're obsessed with exaggerated hands on demos or completely fake concept videos (i.e. courier) that for some reason the tech blogs eat the fuck up. Initial Natal reveal, courier, illumiroom, hololens, and I'm sure more.

krang

It's good to know the limitations are acknowledged and (sort of) by design, and not beyond the wit of man to significantly improve in future iterations.

Alx

microsoft does this almost every single time. I can't take any tech demo they do seriously anymore. They're obsessed with exaggerated hands on demos or completely fake concept videos (i.e. courier) that for some reason the tech blogs eat the fuck up. Initial Natal reveal, courier, illumiroom, hololens, and I'm sure more.

They offered hands-on demos of their tech from the day it went public, and journalists could and did notice the field of view limitations first hand. It's not like they're trying to hide it.
Also focusing on the field of view or battery life is dismissing the real breakthrough of the technology. Having a reliable tracking and interaction of your whole environment in an embedded system is the real tech achievement. Wider rendering and longer battery life will obviously be improved in further iterations, but it's silly to dismiss the tech just because you can't play call of duty with it...

Future iterations will be the bomb.

This not so much. Until then this will be a nice dream to have sort of like kinect :/

I don't see much future in this when VR is so much more developped and the entire industry is already behind supporting VR but no one but MS doing shit for AR

They offered hands-on demos of their tech from the day it went public, and journalists could and did notice the field of view limitations first hand. It's not like they're trying to hide it.
Also focusing on the field of view or battery life is dismissing the real breakthrough of the technology. Having a reliable tracking and interaction of your whole environment in an embedded system is the real tech achievement. Wider rendering and longer battery life will obviously be improved in further iterations, but it's silly to dismiss the tech just because you can't play call of duty with it...
doesn't change the fact that they're consistently misrepresenting their technology and yes I agree, tech blogs are at fault too for continually hype beasting all of it.

I don't see much future in this when VR is so much more developped and the entire industry is already behind supporting VR but no one but MS doing shit for AR

just trying to be a little optimistic about future possibilities.

I was always skeptical of the tech but we had tons of posters in previous threads argue about the crazy potential this thing has (architecture, meetings, model design etc)

But now the cat is out of the bag, I feel vindicated with my previous assessments

Social

Why even bring it to market like that? What the hell is Microsoft doing? This is going to flop so hard, they bet on the wrong technology.

Cost related issues will be solved before too long, relatively speaking and battery issues should get noticeably better with each iteration. Assuming MS doesn't pull the plug on it though, which is possible if it underperforms. I would hope MS sees this as a long-term play though and has modest expectations.

That said, we really need some breakthroughs in batteries. They're the biggest limiter for basically every handheld device right now, from game consoles to phones to stuff like this.

Watched the demo again and laughed a bit imagining that they were actually only able to see 15" display from 2ft away. Hopefully we will have something like from the demo by 2020.

Alx

doesn't change the fact that they're consistently misrepresenting their technology and yes I agree, tech blogs are at fault too for continually hype beasting all of it.

It's not even a complete mis-representation since the full-screen rendering is also done in realtime with their tracking technology. It is a real demo focusing on the most important part of their research, which by the way can be used in other contexts than their headsets (like their enhanced cameras, specifically).

krang

What they have achieved is rather impressive, but I can't help but think that they're trying really hard to solve a problem because of a questionable design decision.

At the moment they're overlaying images on real life. Wouldn't it be far simpler to employ something like the Vive where there's a forward-facing camera, and overlay images on top of the camera images? You then project that to VR screens to much improve the FoV.

I'm no expert, though.

Alx

That could work, but it's just another way of rendering the information. They would still need the tracking and environment modeling to display the fake information at the right place, be it in a video or as an overlay of real view. Also the benefit of AR is that it doesn't block your vision, even if the AR part is narrow, you still have your full field of view on reality, unlike in a VR headset.
Also right now the Vive solution isn't portable enough to let the user walk around large spaces like a warehouse or an atelier.

Btw MS isn't the only company interested in AR, I think Intel presented their own "Hololens" at CES2016.

Dynasty

I see no future for AR in gaming , it's very limited as opposed to VR .
Your gaming experience in AR is limited to your room . In VR, there are no limits .

VR and AR are exactly competing in the same area and their are thing that can be better done in AR than VR. I would imagine Table Top and Card Games would be better if played in AR compared to VR (one they improve the FOV) because you ain't locking yourself out of the real word.

Sitting 2 feet away from my laptop right now. It sucks that objects would just disappear but I could still see this tech being very cool for various applications even in its current form.

Dynasty

Google is also doing AR, Google glass. Nintendo is also doing it with Pokemon GO which is a AR game using your phone. There is room for both AR and VR, both gave there strengths and weaknesses, AR is a portable, untethered device unlike VR. I do agree VR is more relevant now but the 5-10 years from now no one knows.

This isn't gen 1 of AR like the Oculus Rift CV1 is gen 1 of VR. This is closer to a pre DK1 in terms of what it will take to sell this to an enthusiast crowd. So we're a good decade off people walking round the streets with a full AR experience. When we get there, though... Infinite conflating layers of reality - they thought the Internet took enough time to tame, this'll really blow the bloody doors off.

Chrisdk

Yeah it's not really AR vs VR. It's only because Sony showed PSVR and Microsoft showed Hololens AR. Microsoft will probably also have VR, either their own or one of the PC VRs. They already have teamed up with them with the cinema stuff and the controller. It's probably more because the Xbox One is really weak.

VR and AR can co exists. From a gaming perspective VR is almost an exclusive gaming device atm. AR can be used more outside gaming.

Why even bring it to market like that? What the hell is Microsoft doing? This is going to flop so hard, they bet on the wrong technology.
As opposed to... What? VR. Do people really think this is their attempt to compete with the Vive or Oculus etc? People need more imagination.

Microsoft aren't trying to compete with VR. They realize that AR and VR are quite different. Both have their positives and both have their limitations. While VR may be the future of immersive gameplay, AR like Holocene might well be the future of computation in general.

Also, think big picture. Surface pro was interesting but had lots of issues that kept it from being great. Now years later surface pro 3, pro 4 and surface book are some of the most incredible hardware in their categories. Really it is incredible how far that brand has come. They will be able to address some of these limitations as research continues and tech gets better and smaller.

Raist

Banned
It's not even a complete mis-representation since the full-screen rendering is also done in realtime with their tracking technology. It is a real demo focusing on the most important part of their research, which by the way can be used in other contexts than their headsets (like their enhanced cameras, specifically).

Yes, it is a complete misrepresentation. Especially since their "custom cameras" look like they've got a bit more tech attached than a tiny headset.

Mula

VR and AR are exactly competing in the same area and their are thing that can be better done in AR than VR. I would imagine Table Top and Card Games would be better if played in AR compared to VR (one they improve the FOV) because you ain't locking yourself out of the real word.

thats right. but i think not many people put a headset on, and play a Card or a table top game. Thats a nice gimmick, not more. Same for Minecraft on a table.
But I may be totally wrong, that's just my opinion

mrklaw

MrArseFace

to sell it into industry for visualising products/designs, or sharing content in 3D space like they've shown in previous videos.

The better question is 'why show this on the stage at a consumer games show, with a clearly faked field of view, when that isn't the target market and it is still hugely expensive?'. That I don't have an answer for.

I'd also like to know more about whether the field of view can be dramatically increased. Fine, they want to keep costs down and they want the headset to be wireless and untethered - which limits computing power so they want to draw less to match. Fine. But I'd like to see a proof of concept at least that shows they can increase the field of view, and that the core optics technology they use is scalable for the future. That part I'm someone skeptical about.

Yeah it's not really AR vs VR. It's only because Sony showed PSVR and Microsoft showed Hololens AR. Microsoft will probably also have VR, either their own or one of the PC VRs. They already have teamed up with them with the cinema stuff and the controller. It's probably more because the Xbox One is really weak.

VR and AR can co exists. From a gaming perspective VR is almost an exclusive gaming device atm. AR can be used more outside gaming.

Did you even see the reveal of Hololens? Do you really think MS was under any pressure from PSVR to show Hololens? If the answer is yes I don't even know what to say.. It's not always a console war with these companies. People's perspective on this things is tainted by Internet console battles.

Fliesen

7AOKXEb.gif

#microsoft

I'd rather they release it when the FOV is much better. Don't rush this shit out knowing it will be upgraded down the line.

i still believe that increasing the FoV is a non-trivial thing because i feel it's not a "technical" thing of "how big can we make those screens inside the visor?" but of "how to deal with the optical issues of distortion and peripheral vision"
I think VR has a easier time dealing with this, because you don't have the optics issue of multiple different layers of focus

cakefoo

That could work, but it's just another way of rendering the information. They would still need the tracking and environment modeling to display the fake information at the right place, be it in a video or as an overlay of real view. Also the benefit of AR is that it doesn't block your vision, even if the AR part is narrow, you still have your full field of view on reality, unlike in a VR headset.
Also right now the Vive solution isn't portable enough to let the user walk around large spaces like a warehouse or an atelier.

Btw MS isn't the only company interested in AR, I think Intel presented their own "Hololens" at CES2016.
Sony showed 3D environment analysis and markerless augmented reality Ape Escape characters, virtual holes appearing in the floor, etc 4 years ago, running on the tiny Vita.

I also doubt VR's 90-110 degree field of view will be a big issue.

Fliesen

Yikes. It really does need to span the entire width of the glasses

funnily, if i do that thing when sitting in front of my 50" TV, it's actually pretty close in size.

The FoV isn't all that small. The issue is just that - as soon as you move your head, your virtual screen gets cut off - unless you make the virtual screen smaller to compensate for slight head movement.

Top Bottom