• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random beeping from PS4 with upgraded 2TB hard drive?

Boss Mog

So I recently upgraded my PS4 to 2TB with the Seagate/Samsung drive (pretty much the only 2TB available that fits) and now my PS4 will randomly beep every so often (once or twice a day). Although games don't crash or anything, it's kind of annoying. Anybody else having such issues after they upgraded? Any fix?

playXray

Is it your disc drive? I had a faulty PS4 that tried to eject discs every now and then just completely randomly - all my PS4 games are digital, so all I heard was a beeping sound. Could it be that?

Boss Mog

Is it your disc drive? I had a faulty PS4 that tried to eject discs every now and then just completely randomly - all my PS4 games are digital, so all I heard was a beeping sound. Could it be that?

Nah, I always have a disc in there and it never pops out.

Boss Mog

I searched online a bit and other people with this drive are having the issue but nobody seems to really know what's causing it or how to fix it. I saw a few people suggesting it was because the drive was switching platters but I'm somewhat skeptical of that being the reason.

Toxa

Should've upgraded to the Xbox One.

Felipe-Massa-001.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yeah. Even if discs aren't popping out, this could be a reason for the symptom. It's very widespread. I think it's actually a mechanical issue where the rubber foot on the bottom is expanding with heat and triggering the touch-sensitive button.

Could be something else... or related to the new hdd. But just keep it in mind OP. PS4s beeping by themselves all over the place.

Yrael

It seems this is a fairly common issue with Seagate 2TB hard drives in the PS4. I've upgraded mine too and have yet to run into the problem (fingers crossed that I won't), but like you I've read numerous complaints online about intermittent high pitched beeping and chirping after the installation. Unfortunately I haven't seen a guaranteed fix for it.

blazeaire

Yep, same issue. Have a seagate aswell, learnt to ignore it after a while lol nothing seems to be wrong with it so far...

muggen76

I've had these ever since i switched myself. I think it's quite common, and never had any problems just these random beeps. Like once everytime i use the ps4 after some time.

HeeHo

Yeah, I get it too. I thought it was normal so long as it wasn't too often. Sometimes it's really high pitch. There may be something to it getting better over time because it does seem to happen less often and I been playing a lot the past few days. Only heard it once.

Boss Mog

Yep, same issue. Have a seagate aswell, learnt to ignore it after a while lol nothing seems to be wrong with it so far...

Ok cool, I can live with the beep as long as nothing is getting damaged and such. It's possible that it's due to insufficient power I guess since a 2TB drive with multiple platters would require more power but why wouldn't Sony adjust the firmware for this since they know people will upgrade the hard drive.

Gentuu

Banned
Boss★Moogle;193211519 said:
Ok cool, I can live with the beep as long as nothing is getting damaged and such. It's possible that it's due to insufficient power I guess since a 2TB drive with multiple platters would require more power but why wouldn't Sony adjust the firmware for this since they know people will upgrade the hard drive.

You could remove the wires from the error sound speaker but that would wreck the warranty.

I could have sworn I read a solution to this in one of the many threads where it was brought up a while ago. I didn't take much notice of it at the time because I hadn't upgraded yet, but I've got the drive in question just sitting here waiting to be put in now.

I believe it had something to do with the screw that holds the caddy in place either being too loose or too tight (yeah, I know that's not much help...).

Hopefully someone else can shed more light on the situation.

Yeah. Even if discs aren't popping out, this could be a reason for the symptom. It's very widespread. I think it's actually a mechanical issue where the rubber foot on the bottom is expanding with heat and triggering the touch-sensitive button.

Could be something else... or related to the new hdd. But just keep it in mind OP. PS4s beeping by themselves all over the place.

This was definitely the issue with mine, and was even spitting discs out mid-session. Ever since I removed the front rubber foot and propped the system up on an unused game case (placed more toward the back of the console as to not touch the underside of the INCREDIBLY sensitive eject sensor), I haven't had the problem.

Andrefpvs

I have the same issue with the same hard drive. If someone definitely knows why this happens, it would be very appreciated. That random beep can be quite scary.

This has nothing to do with the disc drive, since I have the new PS4 model with the mechanical eject button. It's a different type of beep than the eject beep.

Dazza

I have the same seagate drive no beeps for me. Have you got a disc in the drive at the time? It could be the eject beep u get

Bahlor

I have the same seagate drive no beeps for me. Have you got a disc in the drive at the time? It could be the eject beep u get

Nah it's a common problem with the seagate/samsung hdd. Having the same problem since I changed my hdd a few months ago. So far no problems and either it beeps less often now or I'm just not hearing it anymore except once in a while.

For what I read online it does indeed seem to be power related, but not harmful. (Personally not enough power seems to be harmful for me, but most ppl online say you're fine and wasn't able to find many with actual problems caused by this)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I very very rarely get the PS4 going a bit crazy when in rest mode with some loud beeping, but it occurred with the old disc drive too. I have recently installed this same 2 TB disc drive, ordered the 1 TB 7200 RPM Toshiba one but it got lost at my workplace mailroom somehow for months so I ordered this one... and then finally received the Toshiba model which is now my backup in case I need another drive, but I may sell it. Sometimes I hear it doing some clicking noise, but it seems to be when reading random data on the disc... pretty quiet when downloading data from the PSN store or when loading most games.

WaterAstro

I got the same problem, and it's just a warning beep for insufficient power, but it's been working for a year. I don't think it's getting "damaged" or anything.

Edit: found someone's recording of the beep on the playstation forum if people are interested in hearing what it sounds like. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kfLx8rlWzb

Boss Mog

I got the same problem, and it's just a warning beep for insufficient power, but it's been working for a year. I don't think it's getting "damaged" or anything.

Edit: found someone's recording of the beep on the playstation forum if people are interested in hearing what it sounds like. http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kfLx8rlWzb

Thanks, good to know that there's been no issue with your hdd in a year's time of having the beeps. I can rest easier now.

I don't have a warranty on the drive anymore since I removed it from a Seagate external USB enclosure. Don't ask me why but it was a lot cheaper as an external (only 69 bucks) rather than the bare internal drive (which was 99 bucks). only con was opening the enclosure voided the drive's warranty so I was hoping these beeps weren't a sign of the drive failing. So thanks again for your post.

ctfg23

I had this problem when I tried this hard drive as well. I ended up putting the stock drive back in and just recently got a 1TB HDD. Hopefully a better quality 2TB HDD is available soon.

Pjsprojects

For what I read online it does indeed seem to be power related, but not harmful. (Personally not enough power seems to be harmful for me, but most ppl online say you're fine and wasn't able to find many with actual problems caused by this)

Yep it's a power problem,not enough power to be exact.

Not heard of a PS4 dying from it yet.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I've just upgraded to the same one. No beeping so far. Hope it stays that way. Could it be something else? Did you put the drive back properly?

TedMilk

I installed the same drive and had similar problems. Random beeps on startup/shutdown, then it was saying I hadn't shut down properly when I had. I did a couple of database verifications and it seemed to clear itself up. Mine's been working fine now for about 6 months.

I'll never understand Sony's obsession with that nasty beep sound. Same on PS3. It's a great way of waking everyone up when you decide to have a sneaky late night gaming session.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Crap. I have one of these being delivered tomorrow. Ugh.

Before you install it, check the firmware version via your computer and flash the latest one if possible. From what I remember the beeping didn't occur on updated drives and there was a chance that the Backup Plus Slim drives shipped with older firmwares.

Vinc

Boss★Moogle;193210310 said:
So I recently upgraded my PS4 to 2TB with the Seagate/Samsung drive (pretty much the only 2TB available that fits) and now my PS4 will randomly beep every so often (once or twice a day). Although games don't crash or anything, it's kind of annoying. Anybody else having such issues after they upgraded? Any fix?

Careful, if it's the spinpoint drive it's known to have an issue where it eventually entirely breaks after showing the symptoms you're describing. I have that same drive in my PS4 with no issue, but many people reported the same thing and said it eventually crapped out. It apparently has to do with the firmware being configured for external hard drives rather than internal...

low-G

Yeah I get the low power warning beeps sometimes too. Haven't had a problem and that 2TB HDD has been in there about a year now...

Replicant

I installed the same drive and had similar problems. Random beeps on startup/shutdown,

I think that's normal. It happens even with the default drive. The PS4 does make a beeping sound when you restart or power it up/down.

As for this problem (beeping in the middle of operation), I haven't heard it so far *knocks on wood*. My PS4 is the Australian version though, wonder if that makes a difference as our electrical items use higher volts than US items.

Also, during the HD replacement moment, I noticed that the HD is not meant to be pushed all the way into the casing. Instead, it needs to line up the screw holes of the HD with the holes on the side of the casing. The end result mean the HD should stick out a bit of its casing so you can push it flush against the PS4 when you insert the casing back.

Vitacat

Before you install it, check the firmware version via your computer and flash the latest one if possible. From what I remember the beeping didn't occur on updated drives and there was a chance that the Backup Plus Slim drives shipped with older firmwares.

Thanks for the advice. I will do that.

The M9T? I got one of those drives for my PC (no real space for a 3.5" drive) and yeah, the noises it occasionally makes are extremely annoying and a bit scary even since to me it sounds like the noises a drive would make when it's failing... Haven't seen anyway to stop it though, so just have to live with it until high-capacity SSDs or such are available for cheap(...ish) :S

Yrael

WELL, I said that I had my fingers crossed that I'd never encounter this problem - but just this evening, my upgraded hard drive made a very loud beep in the middle of playing The Witness. Yikes.

It was alarming to hear it for myself, but it's reassuring to me that people have been hearing strange noises like that for a long time without their drives actually failing.

Squozen

Sounds like the 'solution' is to never buy a Seagate product (which doesn't help the OP, of course). I never hear of issues from people using other brands. My Seagate SSHD in my PS3 chirps from time to time (I presume when it's parking the heads) and it's annoying but doesn't affect the operation of the drive. It's enough for me to stick with WD hard drives or use Samsung SSDs in future though.

Vinc

Sounds like the 'solution' is to never buy a Seagate product (which doesn't help the OP, of course). I never hear of issues from people using other brands. My Seagate SSHD in my PS3 chirps from time to time (I presume when it's parking the heads) and it's annoying but doesn't affect the operation of the drive. It's enough for me to stick with WD hard drives or use Samsung SSDs in future though.

That particular Seagate drive is just an external shell made by them. The drive inside the enclosure is a Samsung M9T spinpoint drive, so that's not the issue. The issue is apparently that the firmware is configured to work with the power settings of an external drive powered through USB in its enclosure, while the PS4 powers it like an internal drive.

I got the Samsung/Seagate 2TB drive for my first PS4 about a year ago. It was the cheaper external USB one where I pried open the case to put it in the PS4. It chirped incessantly, even during games. Even though the chirps were relatively quiet, it was happening way too often. So I returned it for a bare version of the same drive. The bare one chirps only when it's on the PS4's menu and not too often. It was easy to get used to.

I read a theory that the chirping is indeed related to power-saving. Some people thought the chirping occurs when the drive is parking its head. Though you would probably hear it happening when used in the USB enclosure, and I don't remember it happening when I first tested it. Anyway, the interesting thing is that some people think the external version might be configured to go with lower power, thus the higher occurrence of beeps. Regardless of whether this is true, I would caution people thinking about saving money and going with the external version they can pry open.

As a note, I got a second PS4 about a month ago. Bought another bare version of the drive--supposedly a newer version than the one I got a year ago though the model is the same. It doesn't chirp at all. Fingers crossed that it doesn't start happening!

Top Bottom