• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random beeping from PS4 with upgraded 2TB hard drive?

On my PC where I'm using the Samsung M9T, I have a script that disable the head parking and still get the sounds. So, while it may be related to SOME sort of power-saving feature, I don't think it's the head parking specifically. It may be worth noting that in my case, when the noises happen there tends to be several beeps within just a few minutes, and these clusters of beeps happen about once or twice every day but aren't a constant issue.

WITHE1982

Another here with the same 2TB drive and the same beeping. I've had the drive installed for a year + and so far, other than the beeps once every few days, it's working like a charm.

Sounds pretty common given the amount of similar stories here on GAF.

Did anyone ever suffer any issues beyond the beep with these drives, failure etc? I had mine in my OG Ps4, never beeped, transferred it to my new slim and it does do it sometimes. The actual noise doesn't bother me, but more interested if it can lead to failure. I did take the drive back out and put it in the enclosure and no issues or beeps on that end, so it's definitely something different with the slim over the OG. Maybe the power efficiency change.

friz898

Is it your disc drive? I had a faulty PS4 that tried to eject discs every now and then just completely randomly - all my PS4 games are digital, so all I heard was a beeping sound. Could it be that?

(slight derail)

I have this problem, and I've had it for about 3-4 months now. I know it's semi-common after google research and even a thread here about it...

...my question, did you ever find a fix? That one fix where you rip out the eject 'fin' or whatever it's called didn't work for me. Sometimes it does it a lot, sometimes it'll go a week without doing it.

Thats your hd not receiving sufficient power if im not mistaken

I've read this as well and I guess it makes the most sense? Some sort of onboard warning of the HDD.

Either way, doesn't seem to create any problems. I've been using that drive for over a year now and the beeps don't correlate with any crashes etc.

The beeps are not frequent and you almost can't hear them along the game audio, so, meh.

I had this after upgrading to the same HDD.

I learned my lesson and will never buy Seagate again. I got a 1tb 7200rpm drive and it's been great.

geordiemp

Boss★Moogle;193210310 said:
So I recently upgraded my PS4 to 2TB with the Seagate/Samsung drive (pretty much the only 2TB available that fits) and now my PS4 will randomly beep every so often (once or twice a day). Although games don't crash or anything, it's kind of annoying. Anybody else having such issues after they upgraded? Any fix?

I have done the same upgrade now 4 times (2 OG ps4, then 2 Pro), all with samsung 2 TB.

Never had your beeps..

Izuna

Banned
Is it that hard to include external HDD support? What's the filesystem encryption like? If you can easily exchange the drive and format it, I don't see why this isn't priority #1 for Sony.

I've read this as well and I guess it makes the most sense? Some sort of onboard warning of the HDD.

Either way, doesn't seem to create any problems. I've been using that drive for over a year now and the beeps don't correlate with any crashes etc.

The beeps are not frequent and you almost can't hear them along the game audio, so, meh.

Yea, some folks seem to have a different problem with the OG ps4 eject button, obviously the slim has a different layout so I think the HDD beep issue is separate. I had read similar things, that it's to do with low power or something. If it's caused you no issues beyond then that's helpful to know. I find it confusing that it wasn't something that happened with my OG PS4 but now occasionally with the slim. I read something like keeping power to the USB prevents it because it's a little increase in power draw but who knows, that might just be internet chinese whispers at play.

Is it that hard to include external HDD support? What's the filesystem encryption like? If you can easily exchange the drive and format it, I don't see why this isn't priority #1 for Sony.

This would be perfect really. Wish they would do it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wonder if it also happens woth the barracuda variant. Gonna get it for christmas so I guess i'll find out.

Top Bottom