• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend built a working calculator in Super Mario Maker and it's awesome!

zooL

My friend Helgefan spent a lot of weekends building a level in Mario Maker which lets you input two numbers between 0 and 7 by breaking certain blocks. The rest of the level then automatically adds these two numbers in binary and then even converts the result to decimal for your viewing pleasure. :)

It's pretty f***ing awesome, just look at this madness:

rltt1y7.jpg

A video of the level can be found here:

https://youtu.be/rCTGXUNg2fE (no sound unfortunately)

A lot of things like item limits, despawning mechanics and of course space constraints had to be taken into account and it was not certain that it was even possible before he actually implemented it (7+7 is the highest which he could fit into these constraints).

He described how it works in a reddit post here (you can also find the level code there)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker..._binary_adding_machine_with_decimal/?sort=new

He had to plan most of it using pen and paper, because he doesn't even own a Wii U and had to do it using a friends console over the weekends.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is turning into Little Big Planet in a lot of random ways, very cool.

That is awesome. If I had Mario maker for my WiiU I would download that for the novelty factor.

Great design and how it all worked.

Rehynn

Impressive, but it sure as hell does not make me want to play some Mario.

Which is sadly true for many of the more famous MMaker maps.

totowhoa

Banned
This is super cool. Thanks for sharing, and the subreddit where he explained it. Really fascinating to watch everything unfold.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They're two completely different skills
I don't know why you're getting dog piled on. But you're not what the thread is about so I'm moving onto the fact that this is pretty cool.

Just mapping this stuff out had to be a tribulation. Wanna post his paper work OP?

zooL

This looks ... way more complicated than it should, SPECIALY how it display's the numbers

It was a long optimization process, let me assure you. The main problem is that you have to use serial instructions as much as possible, while the normal electronic calculators use more parallel instructions for the display part. There was just no space for that. Everything has to be squeezed through 27 tiles height-wise. Most binary operators had to be custom designed in the way they cancel out shells, spawn items etc. in order to make it work in the given area, while keeping enough space to move Mario around, making sure that Mario is always in the right spot, so no shell or other item is despawned (items get despawned when too far of screen)... the list of problems to overcome goes on and on... different item limits for each item type, lots of timing issues etc. The debugging was crazy, I watched him do it for a while. :)

Top Bottom