• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend built a working calculator in Super Mario Maker and it's awesome!

smisk

Pretty fucking insane. I had to build something like that back in college and even on a breadboard with ICs its not easy. Really impressed with how he was able to use the different Mario Maker elements to represent bits, gates etc. Must have taken a TON of planning.

DoubleYou

How can he possibly alter the first screen when he leaves through the pipe? Doesn't it just reset when he returns?

Amazing stuff though.

smisk

What kind of calculator doesn't have an 8 or 9? Not impressed.

This can only handle 3 bits, pretty sure it wouldn't be able to do any more based on item and space limitations. 111 would be the max value, which is equal to 7.

Okamid3n

This reminds me of the domino calculator that took 10,000 dominos to add up to 30.

But a domino calculator is much easier to design than this.

Fishlake

People creating programs or electronic devices in level creators never fail to amaze me. I'm really surprised this was possible in Super Mario Maker. Tell your friend they did a great job.

Regiruler

Once you have an algorithm worked out (which can be derived from those for normal calculators I suppose), it's really just a lot of trial and error in terms of building the level itself.

The input portion was clever use of warp reset, but I couldn't keep track after that.

Ivan 3414

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is turning into Little Big Planet in a lot of random ways, very cool.

And LBP did a calculator as well. Even Minecraft has done it apparently.

This sort of thing actually is really interesting in showing the possibilities of the game engine off.

Top Bottom