• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft plans to grow revenue by 60% over the next 3 years. MP-centric games push.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ecome-less-hit-driven-more-dependable-ubisoft

The publishing business has shifted from "fire and forget" to year-round service over multiple years. Companies have gone from no direct contact with their players to constant direct contact. The fragmented AAA space has consolidated to a handful of major players. And perhaps most important for Ubisoft's investors, what used to be a hit-driven and cyclical business is now a more recurring and dependable source of revenue.

Much of that dependability comes from increased engagement with players over longer periods of time. To capitalize on that, Ubisoft laid out a plan to grow revenue by 60 percent to €2.2 billion by the end of its 2018-19 fiscal year. The publisher said it is transforming its traditional organization into a live operations model so that it can deliver the sort of multi-year service that drives engagement, and is also making "a strong push on multiplayer-centric games."

That push is already evident in games like Rainbow Six Siege, For Honor, and The Division, but Guillemot also confirmed that the as-yet unannounced new AAA IP the publisher is working on for its 2016-17 fiscal year will also be driven by multiplayer.

edit: the presentation is up: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit..._180216-site_tcm99-239259_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

2e952d9d_o.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't Rainbow Six Siege flop for that exact reason though?

Dreavus

The little bit we've seen of For Honor looks damn awesome so I wonder how that will turn out.

Bring back Assassin's Creed competitive multiplayer and I'll be, like, super engaged with the brand again though.

RdN

It didn't flop, so, no.

I'm curious about this strategy. I like the idea of games as a service more and more, and as a mostly multiplayer guy, it really isn't much of an issue to me.

We'll see how it goes.

TGO

What? Siege didn't flop at all.
Sorry last I heard it debuted a 75k in the UK and wasn't better other places and I haven't been tracking it.
Obviously sales worldwide was better and it picked up.

^^
To the other posters, I'm on earth and it didn't have a good opening week, sorry I recalled something that actually happened.
Good news that it picked up.

True Fire

If this means more post-launch support then I'm listening. Assassin's Creed Syndicate was really dragged down by its last-gen DLC model. I hope Empires has massive Witcher-like expansions.

impact

Banned
Ubisoft thinks cuz it works for Valve it will work for them

It will be entertaining to watch this company's downfall.

Siege flop? Lol its a giant success.

Also yeah with ganes like The Division and the upcoming Ghost Recon game you are starting to see their model going forward

Sorry last I heard it debuted a 75k and I haven't been tracking it.
Obviously sales worldwide was better and it picked up.

It did over 800k in its opening NPD and has shown incredible legs in every territory. Even in Japan

iNvid02

That's a push alright. Pushing me away from their games.

yeah kinda how i feel, although if they can still create worlds you want to explore within those multiplayer settings then it lessens the blow somewhat, the division will be the first test for that personally.

but this 60% revenue push just screams microtransactions

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm not really multiplayer focused any more, but watch dogs proved with a bit of inventiveness it can be done well and not overly intrusive.

I think the next stage is engaging people in persistent world's. instead of npc's have real players be vendors etc. and their goods depend on what they forage etc.

Kezen

Banned
I'm not into MP much, so MP centric games I'll probably pass unless it has a strict SP mode attached to it.
It's the reason why I won't buy The Division, it's too much of an MP game for me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ubisoft thinks cuz it works for Valve it will work for them

It will be entertaining to watch this company's downfall.
Seeing a post like yours is absolutely beyond cringeworthy. The success of games where they've already implemented similar plans, (Siege, The Division if the closed beta is anything to go by, etc.), and way more companies than just Valve if you've paid attention to any sort of trends in the industry are the reason for this.

TGO

Siege flop? Lol its a giant success.

Also yeah with ganes like The Division and the upcoming Ghost Recon game you are starting to see their model going forward

It did over 800k in its opening NPD and has shown incredible legs in every territory. Even in Japan
See this is news to me, last I read about it was on GAF about how it only sold 75k in the UK.
My bad.

Man everyone wants to double down on online mmo-lite experiences these days. Yes Destiny was a great success but when push comes to shove, how many will actually have enough and diverse content to keep their player bases engaged?

xrnzaaas

I'm not into MP much, so MP centric games I'll probably pass unless it has a strict SP mode attached to it.
It's the reason why I won't buy The Division, it's too much of an MP game for me.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If WD2 goes this way as well I'll simply skip it.

See this is news to me, last I read about it was on GAF about how it only sold 75k in the UK.
My bad.

Np man I understand. Even in UK its legs have been great. Been in the top 10 software SKU's every week since launch. Really impressive.

Also people shouldn't think Ubi is abandoning single player. Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal, For Honor, Ghost Recon, the next Assassin's Creed influenced by The Witcher 3, all have extensive single player. Its just Ubi is also going to invest a lot more heavily into their connected online multiplayer stuff as well going forward

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Man everyone wants to double down on online mmo-lite experiences these days. Yes Destiny was a great success but when push comes to shove, how many will actually have enough and diverse content to keep their player bases engaged?
Not just about base content but being able to deliver more content/massive updates based on feedback over the course of a year in a relatively timely fashion.''
Np man I understand. Even in UK its legs have been great. Been in the top 10 software SKU's every week since launch. Really impressive.

Also people shouldn't think Ubi is abandoning single player. Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal, For Honor, Ghost Recon, the next Assassin's Creed influenced by The Witcher 3, all have extensive single player. Its just Ubi is also going to invest a lot more heavily into their connected online multiplayer stuff as well going forward
That would require reading more than just the title.. >_>

Duxxy3

Sweet, I won't have to worry about buying unfinished UBI games in the future. I can safely ignore all of them!

Okingjrr

Listen, I love Siege, For Honor looks and felt great at Gamescom last year but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with all their MP focused games.

Zalusithix

And here I thought I couldn't possibly end up buying less Ubsioft games given how few I've bought in recent years. Oh well, they'll probably miss me as much as I'll miss them.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I've yet to play a mp service driven game(where you're supposed to continuously buy stuff) that didn't rub me the wrong way other than dota 2 so I don't have high hopes... especially not if it's from ubisoft(their PC ports....)
But it would sure be nice if we had more good options in that field.

IvanJ

Banned
I think that is a good strategy, and hope it works out for them. They do make some of the best games around.
They are doing well with The Crew and Siege, The Division is going to be a huge hit, For Honor and Ghost Recon should both be successful.
I wonder what that unannounced game is, I just hope it's not a rhythm game or another Just Dance.

Top Bottom