• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Uncharted franchise has sold 28 million (before UC4)

Why do people think this series doesn't sell a lot. I've heard this on podcasts so many times but that is a pretty big number

Is this more than Gran Turismo?
As of Sept 30th 2015 -

Gran Turismo -- 10.85 million
Gran Turismo 2 -- 9.37 million
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec -- 14.89 million
Gran Turismo Concept Series -- 1.56 million
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue -- 1.4 million
Gran Turismo 4 -- 11.76 million
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue -- 5.35 million
Gran Turismo PSP -- 4.66 million
Gran Turismo 5 -- 11.94 million
Gran Turismo 6 -- 4.7 million

Total -- 76.49 million

freefornow

It could be a regional thing, but it seems that the games do end up being a staple with bundles. Dont suppose that we will ever know a breakdown.

Alo0oy

Banned
The last number we had was 21 million (but that did not include GA, it was only the trilogy), my guess for the split is around ~3-4 million for 1, ~7-8 million for 2, and ~10-11 million for 3.

Uncharted 4 will at least match 3 imo.

No idea if this 28 million includes GA, but even if it did, that game sold 2 million if you're being optimistic, so the rest of the increase if probably from the collection (& maybe ~1 million legacy sales from the previous titles).

Faustek

About thinking the games sold "little" isn't that because it's usually put up against what once the stellar sales of Halo?

PS. Or is Halo still selling really well and people commenting in the NDP threads hyperbolic?

The Collection must have sold alot since the original 3 sold 21 million at this point last year Source

Kinda neat.

Alo0oy

Banned
About thinking the games sold "little" isn't that because it's usually put up against what once the seller sales of Halo?

PS. Or is Halo still selling really well and people commenting in the NDP threads hyperbolic?.

Uncharted 3 already sold as well as Halo.

NewDust

Yes, I'm sure the millions upon millions of copies they sold will make a difference. :p

Not saying sales for Abyss are high, but having that title nearly a year as ps+ offering probably means it's numbers are significant.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Sony uses ps+ downloads in it's sales numbers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
It was 21 million with Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2, and Uncharted as for March 2015.
Those games can't have sold much more since that, so this mean Golden Abyss (ABYSS REX, yes ABYSS :p ) and The Nathan Drake collection sold almost 7 million combined.

Very good.

EDIT: I would say is something like < 2 million Golden Abyss and < 5 million the collection, but now this is just speculation.

Uncharted 4 will sell 20 million.

What-Meme-Face-05.png

About thinking the games sold "little" isn't that because it's usually put up against what once the stellar sales of Halo?

PS. Or is Halo still selling really well and people commenting in the NDP threads hyperbolic?
Halo 5 sold pretty well in general but Halo 5 did not perform well relative to the Halo franchise.

Loris146

It was 21 million with Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2, and Uncharted as for March 2015.
Those games can't have sold much more since that, so this mean Golden Abyss (ABYSS REX, yes ABYSS :p ) and The Nathan Drake collection sold almost 7 million combined.

Very good.

EDIT: I would say is something like < 2 million Golden Abyss and < 5 million the collection, but now this is just speculation.

There is also a card game on Vita.

Faustek

Not saying sales for Abyss are high, but having that title nearly a year as ps+ offering probably means it's numbers are significant.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Sony uses ps+ downloads in it's sales numbers.

I can't swearby it but haven't they officially differentiated PS+ and sales before*? Ofc that means that it can be a case by case thing.
Big numbers always look good.

* for example the attachment rate for PSV.

Uncharted 3 already sold as well as Halo.

But the prior two games? Impressions can last a long time. Ask Microsoft TV TV TV TV TV.

Halo 5 sold pretty well in general but Halo 5 did not perform well relative to the Halo franchise.

Got it. It was the remasters that was bad?

Ryng_tolu

Banned
That'd be a disaster.

year end, not lifetime.

it could be 7-8m lifetime if it will really sell 5 million in 2016, could be worse disappoint since is less than Uncharted 3, but not a disaster. Still very strong numbers, just not the best selling game of the series.

I think it will do 9-10 million lifetime, so all considering not even much under what i believe it will sell.

Alo0oy

Banned
year end, not lifetime.

i could be 7-8m lifetime if it will really sell 5 million in 2016, could be worse disappoint since is less than Uncharted 3, but not a disaster.

UC3 shipped 3.8 million in its first day and 5 million in its first month, and a few more million in the next few months, 5 million would be going back to the slow sales of UC2, I don't think 5 million is good at all, that's just as bad a fall as Halo.

EDIT: Even The Last of Us sold 6 million in its first year and that was a new IP.

Why do people think this series doesn't sell a lot. I've heard this on podcasts so many times but that is a pretty big number

Uncharted is a series that originated during a generation where the console it was on was much more successful outside of the US (in particular it was much more successful in Europe). So that means that the games also sold much better in Europe than they did in the US. And no US sites cover European sales like they do with the NPD. It's a big reason why you'll often hear US journalists talking about how the 360 won the last generation.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
UC3 shipped 3.8 million in its first day and 5 million in its first month, and a few more million in the next few months, 5 million would be going back to the slow sales of UC2, I don't think 5 million is good at all, that's just as bad a fall as Halo.

EDIT: Even The Last of Us sold 6 million in its first year and that was a new IP.

It's not like Uncharted 2 sold bad :D to be honest we don't even know how much sold Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 lifetime, we know they most likely did over 7 million which is the avg of the 3 games (since the first Uncharted has not sold much).

Also, TLOU is not a good metric, i mean TLOU first month was bigger than Uncharted 3 first month in USA. Should this mean Uncharted 3 flopped? no... TLOU in general sold amazing good.

Gurish

never listen to Arthur gies ;)

never forget.

untitledp6z6f.png

I like this guy, he is funny.

Like he fails so many times (still remember his pre reveal "scoops" about how much more powerful the XB1 than the PS4 is and how devs are extremely impressed by it) you start developing some sympathy towards him.

But what's up with him? Haven't been involved in a controversy in a long time, learned to think before he speaks?

Striek

Uncharted 4 and TLoU2 will be the #1/2 best-selling exclusives (not in that order, maybe) of the PS4/XBOne thanks to the fall of Halo. This is really a Multiplatform marketplace these days.

Top Bottom