• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Currently available games that are likely to get delisted

finley83

Banned
Something that really bugs me about digital-only games is that they can disappear completely from sale, never to appear again, often without prior notice. If you're lucky then you may be able to redownload your purchases (usually PC services like GoG and Steam are good for this), but if you bought your game on the Play store or elsewhere you might be out of luck.

Prior to last gen, this wasn't an issue, as physical second hand copies were always available and usually first hand copies were still floating around stores. These days, though, an expired music or IP licence (or even an expired copyright) can mean a game suddenly disappears from sale and is never seen again. Usually it's gone before you know it, and it can be really frustrating finding that a game you wanted to buy on sale is already gone for good.

Here's a few games that are no longer available for purchase on digital distribution:

Code:
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Marvel vs Capcom 2 & Ultimate MVC 3
Gran Turismo 5 DLC
WWE 2k15: Hulk Hogan DLC
Wolfenstein
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
P.T.
Descent 1, 2 and 3
Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition
Sega Rally Revo
Afterburner Climax
Virtua Tennis 4
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures
Cryostasis
Mafia

With big summer sales coming up (particularly the Steam sale in a few days), let's talk about games that may not be around for purchase much longer.

--------------------

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit & Most Wanted - both games have a vast library of licenced cars, and reportedly EA's Porsche licence is expiring sometime this year. Can't see them bothering to renew it for older titles at least.

Saint's Row 2, 3 & 4 - a load of licenced music, which will likely be licenced for a fixed period. Deep Silver likely aren't in great financial shape and may not want to fork out to renew it for games that regularly sell on 75% discounts.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara - the key's in the name, a licenced property that the publisher doesn't own.

Likely Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City will get delisted soon, you can't purchase it on steam though it is still available XBL and PSN.

Great thread.
I remember when Monkey Island 1 + 2 got pulled from the iOS app store for some unknown reason and never returned. Even if it was incompatible with newer firmware, the game got unfairly treated. Luckily I bought them both on Steam already, but seeing as Disney hold the license you never know.

Seeing you mention licensed music made me worry about Jet Set Radio HD. They apparently went to a lot of trouble to retain 98% of the original's soundtrack.

Granted, most of the artists in the game are pretty obscure (seriously, Castle Logical and F-Fields have no internet footprint, period), but hey, that might just make things even harder.

For an addition to the OP, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD was also delisted, and I think so was that Marvel VS Capcom Origins thing (the one that included Marvel Superheroes and MVC1). Both Capcom and both licensed games involving other IPs. Speaking of which, DuckTales Remastered could be another in the future, for similar reasons.

MikeyB

Woah. I have Sega Rally and Scott Pilgrim. If I get a new console, is transfering data from the old to the new PS3 the only way to preserve them? I.e., I have to buy a new PS3 and make backups now to be safe?

Sakujou

Banned
Likely Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City will get delisted soon, you can't purchase it on steam though it is still available XBL and PSN.

i think the online resident evil games get delisted because they simply shut off the online servers hence the game becomes useless.
there are also some techs which are only licenced for a certain period.

at least thats why the weird ps2-RE games never made it to PAL or PSN IIRC.

Woah. I have Sega Rally and Scott Pilgrim. If I get a new console, is transfering data from the old to the new PS3 the only way to preserve them? I.e., I have to buy a new PS3 and make backups now to be safe?

Last I checked Scott Pilgrim is still in my download list. Just because something disappears from the store doesn't mean they take away the game you already bought.
To this day I believe PT has been the only game removed from people's download list.

finley83

Banned
It was down for an hour or so earlier but is back up on Steam now, yeah.

That said, GFWL games in general are on borrowed time, particularly ones like RE: ORC where Capcom clearly don't care enough to patch it over to Steamworks.

Corpekata

Banned
Anything from Activision they don't own I'd be wary of. Korra, Transformers. They seem to have renegotiated with Marvel over their stuff but I don't know if I see it happening with everyone.

Sakujou

Banned
Anything from Activision they don't own I'd be wary of. Korra, Transformers. They seem to have renegotiated with Marvel over their stuff but I don't know if I see it happening with everyone.

thats normal.

everything licenced will somehow expire eventually.

finley83

Banned
Wow I had no idea this was even on PC.

It's an interesting one, as it actually disappeared for a few years before resurfacing last year (I think). Definitely pick that one up this summer if you're interested in it.

Deadpool is another one that disappeared and then came back, mainly to cash in on the movie.

It's an interesting one, as it actually disappeared for a few years before resurfacing last year (I think). Definitely pick that one up this summer if you're interested in it.

Deadpool is another one that disappeared and then came back, mainly to cash in on the movie.

Huh. Yeah I played Ghostbusters on PS3 when it released but I liked it well enough to pick it up in a steam sale soon. I'm bummed about Cryostasis. I had it on my wish list after seeing a thread on here about the game. I assume there's no other way to buy it?

For those who need it, Scott Pilgrim vs the World The Game is available on Gamestop's website for PS3. You can buy the base game as a code, the DLC as a code, or the ultimate edition (contains everything, also a code).

Did it a few months ago. Still works fine.

finley83

Banned
A slight update due to the Steam summer sale:

Transformers Devastation is 75% off, and a licenced game from Activision. Usually licenced games from Activision disappear within 1-2 years so a good one to pick up if you're interested!

Mad Max is another one. 66% off. Havent played this yet but aesthetically it looks pretty great! (edit: actually may be a false alarm, just noticed it's published by Warner who also hold the movie distribution rights)

Burnout Paradise has loads of licenced music and is from EA to boot. 75% off its already heavily discounted base price.

There are also a load of Telltale games at 75% off that might not be around much longer, e.g. Jurassic Park & Back to the Future. Previously Wallace and Gromit got delisted and Telltale stated it wasn't coming back, so they've certainly got previous with licenced IP.

kjacobson

Neo Member
For those who need it, Scott Pilgrim vs the World The Game is available on Gamestop's website for PS3. You can buy the base game as a code, the DLC as a code, or the ultimate edition (contains everything, also a code).

Did it a few months ago. Still works fine.

Doesn't look like its still available for me.

This reminds me of how I saw Fable 3 pop up on Steam today, only for it to take me back to the homepage when I clicked on it.

Apparently they ran out of keys for Fable 3, and since GFWL is now dead there is no way to generate new ones so it had to be taken off sale.
However, I've heard that you can still buy Steam keys from places like Amazon.

Another thing that really bugs me is that GTA San Andreas had it's soundtracks stripped on Steam, I bought the game many years ago so it bothers me that they removed content from it regardless of the licences expiring.

Why couldn't they just leave the existing versions of the game alone that had already been purchased and downloaded and push out the new version for new owners and new downloads?

You wouldn't remove content from a physical version of a game that has already been sold, so why a digital one?

There is a way of fixing this which is by modifying and downgrading the game, but it still rubs me wrong that they did this.

dreamfall

I want The Gofather back up there. And Wanted. The bad port of Top Spin 2. Those middle tier games! Bring them all back to meeeee.

finley83

Banned
Slight bump as Race Driver: GRID is being pulled from GOG in a few days. It's 80% off at the moment so pick it up while you can!

It was also given away as a Steam key by Humble about a week ago; these keys also expire at the end of the year so don't hold up on redeeming them.

It's probable that the reason for delisting is due to expiring car licences so in all likelihood it won't be available digitally again.

Edit: there are also rumours that Rambo: The Video Game might be taken off Steam at the end of the year. Nothing definite that I know of, but it's 90% off right now so a good time to pick it up if you're interested.

Top Bottom