• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

Spitfire098

Violin Player GIF

Three

No one force me to create a Steam account.
Nobody forced you but you needed it to access steams games/services. Nobody is forcing you here either unless you want to access this game/service. I can see you're making it as difficult a process as you can for yourself though if you think it's too difficult then don't do it.

bender

What time is it?
Not a fan of having to log in but review bombing is so corny.

I'd say if this change bothers you, request a refund from Steam as the requirements of accessing the game have changed since your initial purchase. If a refund exception isn't made, voice your dissatisfaction through the review system.

You HAVE TO sign up to a MS account to use Windows nowadays.
You HAVE TO sign up to Steam to buy and play games.
Same with EPIC Store and many others.
for most people yes, but thats part of the beauty of pc--on pc, you can get around most of that.

registered windows account for windows? nope, bypass.
steam/other stores required to buy/play games? there are other ways.
go online with the latest multiplayer games? ok, will probably have to go through the regular channels for that.

MiguelItUp

This is just a push from Sony wanting to implement the PS overlay into their games, along with trophy support and more. It was first mentioned with Ghost of Tsushima. This is going to become very standard from here on out with PS games on PC I'm sure. But hey, it's the smallest ask for PC players wanting PS games on PC.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
This is just a push from Sony wanting to implement the PS overlay into their games, along with trophy support and more. It was first mentioned with Ghost of Tsushima. This is going to become very standard from here on out with PS games on PC I'm sure. But hey, it's the smallest ask for PC players wanting PS games on PC.

I think that's OK, but don't tell people months after launch that they have to comply or they can no longer play the game. That's the part that makes it wrong IMO

Okay...
Step 1. Click link to account creation.
Step 2. Fill out 10 minutes worth of forms with personal information.
Step 3. Open email to verify.
Step 4. Gain nothing.
Step 5. Lose account information after update.
Step 6. Fail to recover account information because verification questions do not perfectly line up.
Step 7. Spend an evening on the line with customer support.
Step 8. Spend a week waiting for your account to be reinstated.
Step 9. Never buy another Sony game on PC again.
I'm always amazed the lengths people will go to create problems when the answer to that problem has just such an unbelievably easy solution.

If you're really concerned about personal information, just create a fake account account. You don't have to enter anything personal for PSN at all. The email could be a burner and you could just use fake name/address. No credit card info is needed. You then go to this whole doomsday scenario in which you get logged off of PSN and need to work all day with support and wait a week to play again, when you can just save your creds on some type of password manager like LastPass or 1password. Or God forbid just write it down on a piece of paper and store away if you're truly that concerned.

MiguelItUp

I think that's OK, but don't tell people months after launch that they have to comply or they can no longer play the game. That's the part that makes it wrong IMO
With how it's being implemented there's probably no other real option without segregating players and who knows what else unfortunately. They honestly probably didn't think people would have an issue as it's free and provides trophies, stats, etc.

I think the only thing they could've done "right" is if they gave players a heads up that this would be a thing with PS games on PC as soon as they realized it would be. Instead of just providing the first details with Ghost of Tsushima, and that's really it. Aside from this push. But that's all on Sony. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I still don't get what's so good about Helldivers. This just looks like your typical live-service game to me.

But I wish everyone fun with it, I guess.
How? LOL
And the fact that you said it "Looks like" shows you haven't played it.
I really need to know what comparisons you have to helldivers bcuz typical live-service game is straight up BS

Hudo

How? LOL
And the fact that you said it "Looks like" shows you haven't played it.
I really need to know what comparisons you have to helldivers bcuz typical live-service game is straight up BS
Calm down, man.

Yes. I have not played it because it doesn't look interesting to me at all. If you like it, then more power to you! Have fun. I did not mean to diss anyone who enjoys it. I just said that I don't get it. That's all.

Calm down, man.

Yes. I have not played it because it doesn't look interesting to me at all. If you like it, then more power to you! Have fun. I did not mean to diss anyone who enjoys it. I just said that I don't get it. That's all.
I'm just trying to understand how you came to your conclusion. LOL

SJRB

Gold Member
Why do people need to make a PSN account if they don’t have a PlayStation?

Oh right, I forgot about harvesting user data.

call the midwife GIF by PBS

O no, my data!

Really, that's your argument? Written on the pc or mobile phone that harvests data, filled with programs or apps that harvest data, using the ISP that harvests data, posting on the forum that harvests data talking about videogames on machines that harvest data.

This is the dumbest fucking outrage and PC players should shut the fuck up.

There's some legit tragedy going on with Take Two right now for example but no one give a shit about that. Where's the outrage? The review bombing? Take Two makes you sign into a Rockstar account to play their games, by the way. Nobody gives a shit about that. You log in, it takes 5 seconds, and you're done. Ubi, Activison, EA, Microsoft - they all do it but somehow this Helldivers thing is a problem. Get the fuck outta here.

Just sign in and play your game.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I don't see what the big deal is. You are getting Trophies now and that's really it.

Long term, this is the only path to cross buy.

Indies, third, and second party devs would also be able to leverage cross buy via Sony.
Make it a choice then. If I don’t care about all that jazz, let me just use normal Steam signin.

Again, choices are good.

StereoVsn

that actually would greatly interest me

edit: though it’s not pressing because I don’t even have a copy of the game yet

I wish they‘d do a collection of the classic Sakura Wars titles and finally localize them 😕
Sakura Wars games for Saturn and Dreamcast are surprisingly inexpensive. Well, the Japanese versions at least.

ZehDon

Nobody forced you but you needed it to access steams games/services. Nobody is forcing you here either unless you want to access this game/service. I can see you're making it as difficult a process as you can for yourself though if you think it's too difficult then don't do it.
Pretty sure the game/service didn't have this requirement when I purchased it...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Anyways, this recent news is quite disappointing. I forgot the password for my PS account and getting a new one is difficult since Sony takes forever to put in a Gmail for me to reset it. :/ Plus many of the friends I play Helldivers 2 with don't really use anything Playstation related and they're probably not going to bother playing anymore now that a PS account is mandatory.

AGRacing

I'd love that to be true, being a console + PC player myself. But did EA, Blizzard, Ubi, MS give you free PS5 versions of their PC games because you had linked accounts?
No. But they’ve never been good.

What frustrates me about Sony is they keep pendulum swinging between great and moron assholes and we are firmly across the moron asshole threshold today.

They’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to get a GAAS game to hit…. So much money in the garbage.. then boom! Something actually is hitting… server infrastructure cant handle it. Unforced PR errors on the accounts. No good will.

Make an attempt to incentivize adding your Sony account. It isn't rocket science.

ZehDon

It was listed as a requirement when purchasing but it was disabled when they had server strain early on.
That doesn't seem accurate, given the developer didn't know they had server strain until after the game had launched, and this requirement wasn't enabled initially and then disabled days later to relieve it. Given people are already pulling Sony's words apart and finding changes and inconsistencies, it seems like this was never intended to be mandatory - until the game became popular.

Mr Moose

That doesn't seem accurate, given the developer didn't know they had server strain until after the game had launched, and this requirement wasn't enabled initially and then disabled days later to relieve it. Given people are already pulling Sony's words apart and finding changes and inconsistencies, it seems like this was never intended to be mandatory - until the game became popular.
The requirement was present when the game originally launched, but after its unexpected early success led to severe technical issues, it was temporarily removed.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was listed as a requirement when purchasing but it was disabled when they had server strain early on.

But the way the developer are talking on discord, it sounds like the change caught them off guars too. Looks like it's an unnecessary 'fix' to a problem no one had.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You should probably read my post again.
It's always had "Required 3rd party account: PlayStation Network" on the Steam page. Them being slow to update FAQs is nothing new.
The FAQ doesn't even have this game listed, that's how slow they are.
Supported PlayStation games on PC
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales The Last of Us Part I
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart UNCHARTED™: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Returnal

Last edited:

omegasc

But the way the developer are talking on discord, it sounds like the change caught them off guars too. Looks like it's an unnecessary 'fix' to a problem no one had.
Probably got surprised by the timing, as it is a "clear" answer to the MS accounts on PS inflating Xbox numbers.

RyanEvans21

They disabled a lot of stuff when the game first released. (Like How many people playing etc...) Until now some of the issue still there! Like Game crashed or get stuck....

Three

The EULA is discussed in previous posts. Search my posts for EULA. It's the Steam EULA you should be looking at not the additional third party EULA.

I'm not a part of that discord but they've had the requirement on steam since the beginning when it went up so it's not a surprise. Maybe the timing and backlash caught them off guard? I'm not privy to what they are discussing there to know.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Good news. I managed to reset my Playstation password.

Bad news. Turns out my account had 2FA on it, and I don't own the phone or phone number that the authenticator was originally registered on. So now I'm kind of screwed unless I talk to customer service. Yay!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Customer service rep:
computer-says-no-carol-beer.gif
I hate that 2FA exists and I don't know why I keep falling into the trap of activating it when a Username and Password by itself are just as reliable and don't require me to do all this rigamarole. I am never activating 2FA on any online account ever again even with the risk of a hacker.

adamsapple

I'm not a part of that discord but they've had the requirement on steam since the beginning when it went up so it's not a surprise. Maybe the timing and backlash caught them off guard? I'm not privy to what they are discussing there to know.

In short, they're replying to users that this wasn't their decision (basically they're putting it down to the publisher) and they're getting in touch with Sony about things like what happens to folks who are from countries where PSN isn't officially present and such.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

In short, they're replying to users that this wasn't their decision (basically they're putting it down to the publisher) and they're getting in touch with Sony about things like what happens to folks who are from countries where PSN isn't officially present and such.
Yes it was Sony's decision to have PSN account linked to it, before launch. That's obvious, it's a Sony/PlayStation account not an Arrowhead account.

Last edited:

Three

Ok that's all well and good but I was referring to what they were saying about being "caught off guard" as if this requirement that they had since launch was somehow a surprise.

My conclusion is based on gameplay videos and trailers I've seen. I expect most people decide on whether a game is interesting to them by these means.
That's fine, I haven't seen any typical live service game that plays like this one, but hey, you have, "I guess"

adamsapple

Yes it was Sony's decision to have PSN account linked to it, before launch. That's obvious, it's a Sony/PlayStation account not an Arrowhead account.

Right, of course. But the developers are saying things like 'we don't have all the details yet', it kinda shows that the announcement happened before everything was hashed out with them fully.

Top Bottom