• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Loves the Idea of Mortal Kombat Vs. Killer Instinct

Miles X

Ed Boon doesn't seem all too turned off by the idea either ...

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has spoken up to say he "love" the idea of a Killer Instinct/Mortal Kombat crossover project, though nothing may be in the works.

Spencer's comments came in response to a tweet from NetherRealm boss Ed Boon, who said he's a fan of Killer Instinct, but a crossover would need to be exclusive to Xbox.

3085054-kimk.jpg

Source - Gamespot

Miles X

He also loved the idea of Banjo Kazooie in Smash Bros.

So, yeah. Doesn't mean anything.

Do you know the details on why that didn't happen? Also it's not exactly as tangible for MS as this would be.

I dont see Ed Boon making exclusive game.

Warner may be open to a small scale game tho, 8 fighters on each side with a simple arcade mode. Two studios working on that, wouldn't take more than a year given MK/Injustice full games take 2 years.

Do you know the details on why that didn't happen? Also it's not exactly as tangible for MS as this would be.

It didn't happen because he was just responding to someone on Twitter. Just like this. He's not hinting at anything.

The only thing that would conceivably ever happen would be an exclusive character in one of the games.

MDave

If that actually became a thing and it worked, would this eventually lead to a Street Fighter + Tekken X Killer Instinct + Mortal Kombat crossover?

MK11 could have some KI cameos, but I think thats it.

MK characters just wouldn't work in KIs system. They would either have to be nerfed to hell or massively OP (scorpion in injustice)

I'd be especially down for this if it meant the return of Kratos on the PlayStation side.

Miles X

It didn't happen because he was just responding to someone on Twitter. Just like this. He's not hinting at anything.

I'm not saying he's hinting at something, I'm not saying he isn't either tho. If he likes the idea and Warner are remotely interested and they get talking, why can't something happen?

Miles X

As long as it is using the KI engine.

KI Engine, MK asthetics.

Of course Phil would love a big exclusive fighting game. Why wouldn't he? KI is doing well, but MK is basically in a league of its own when it comes to fighting games right now.

Doesn't' mean it's going to happen though. I can't see WB letting NRS work on a game that's only realistically going to be on XB1 and PC when they could just have them work on MK11 for everything.

Didn't MS mention KI is at like 7 million players? Not exactly a tiny userbase to sell to ...

DrArchon

Of course Phil would love a big exclusive fighting game. Why wouldn't he? KI is doing well, but MK is basically in a league of its own when it comes to fighting games right now.

Doesn't' mean it's going to happen though. I can't see WB letting NRS work on a game that's only realistically going to be on XB1 and PC when they could just have them work on MK11 for everything.

I don't see Warner allowing this. When was the last time they made something exclusive? Maybe some DLC MK fighters for Killer Instinct, but I don't see anything else happening.

Arkeband

Banned
It sounded like Ed was basically saying its not worth doing if it's only going to be available as a MS exclusive.

And only MS would actually want that.

Warxard

Banned
They'll give Hisako a cleft chin and you will like it

Last KI character will be a guest probably. Scorpion sounds right.

I could see them adding a few MK characters into the game for Season 4. Would also be good cross promotion for the inevitable MK 11.

Dr. Buni

I'd like it too, as long as it isn't developed by NetherRealm Studios, so we can have a functional PC version instead of a mess like Mortal Kombat X.

Top Bottom