• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days To Die Review Thread

OpenCritic - 37

MetaCritic - 31

ZTGD - 6.5/10

Stiff and smooth animations just make it comical at times. A moment of screen stutter also occurs when the game auto-saves at times, highly annoying but I was able to largely get used to it. All these issues aside, I was still having a blast playing this, and I can see myself stepping into the world of 7 Days to Die on and off at times. It’s not a game that takes commitment, yet people can also spend a lot of time in the world surviving, building, and just having some co-op fun. It has plenty of content to experience even though it lacks any sort of story or cohesive quests. It’s literally about surviving in the undead world, alone or with friends, rough spots and all, and the fun factor is what you make of it.

God Is A Geek - 4/10

For die-hard fans of build-gather survival sims, I’m sure there’s something here to get into, but 7 Days to Die feels and looks both dated and dull. Sometimes you have to commend a studio for doing what they can with a low budget, but sometimes you have to ask why they didn’t just make something else within their means instead of over-stretching so painfully. A bundle of patches and updates will likely improve the game in the coming months, which is a distressing sign of the times, but right now it’s simply not good enough to fly the flag for the current generation of survival horrors.

The Sixth Axis - 3/10

This ties into the game’s overall presentation which, even for a budget current gen release, remarkably poor. Iron Galaxy’s port is disappointingly buggy, for one thing, and the game’s graphics are terribly basic, from character models to textures and lighting. Wherever you step foot in Navezgane, you’ll come across some truly garish sights, especially if you dare to venture underwater. The audio is just as bad, with music and sound effects cutting in and out, failing to create a meaningful atmosphere.

Although not entirely intuitive, one of 7 Days’ few merits is its transition to gamepad from mouse and keyboard. Remembering the various inputs can take time though they allow for shortcuts to certain important windows, reducing the time spent cycling through menus.

Metro - 2/10

You can eventually build quite complex looking buildings and items, and, theoretically, compete with rival teams online. But if you can’t find anything more interesting to do with friends than play 7 Days To Die then you really aren’t trying hard enough. And speaking of not trying, if Telltale do have ambitions of becoming a major publisher then they should learn to tell the difference between a completed game and a half-broken tech demo. Rather than 7 Days To Die this is more like 7 Months To Finish.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm really torn on 7DTD (PS4). I absolutely love the game, and have been having a blast playing it, but there's some major bugs that hamper the experience greatly (chiefly among them when my game crashed and I lost a minibike along with a full basket of loot, and when a gun safe I had made to hold my gun parts inexplicably disappeared, taking the gun parts with it). It's a damn shame because honestly this is one of my "dream games". A game I always wanted to exist (on consoles at least, not a PC guy so I never got into DayZ or Rust). And now it does, and that's great, but it's blatantly unfinished and really just should not have been released in this state. It really does suck because as I said, I absolutely love it.

Still surprised this even got a console release. It's not even out of alpha on PC and it's been in that state for years. Of course the game is updated but it's still really unoptimised and full of bugs.

Audioboxer

image.php

Yeah... £25 for this stinker, no thanks.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Has any of these multiplayer crafting/survival games ever delivered?

Most of them seem to be getting caught up in development hell and the few ones that come out of beta end up being a buggy mess and a shell of what was promised.

People should stop supporting these scams, especially on Steam. We don't need this shit invading the console market as well

Cronee

I own the pc version and have put over 300 hours into this game. Having said that, I picked up the ps4 version on launch day and nowhere was it mentioned that the game is an unfinished product, not on the box nor by the store employee. If you had no knowledge of the pc version and picked this up, you'd be disappointed with it regarding that. As it stands, the game is rich in content and can provide entertainment for many people for many hours, however, it is a buggy mess on all fronts. Weather it was an oversight or poor marketing strategy is yet to be seen but that little omission is having a damaging effect on the console release, technical issues aside. As for those technical issues, they can be fixed and people would probably have been more lenient, critically, towards those issues had they been upfront about the unfinished state of the game. Plus, iron galaxy doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation for porting games and that has seemingly compounded the buggyness issue.

I've put about 6 hours (offline) into the game on ps4 and cannot continue due to the sound fading bug, though having read through the bug reports I guess I should consider myself lucky that's the only problem I've encountered.

Krakn3Dfx

I've had some fun with this one the PC, it's janky/broken as hell in a lot of ways, but there's a fun experience to be had if you can get past the issues. I've also had some genuine jump scares coming around a building into a group of walkers and having to run.

The reviews aren't wrong, but I think despite it's issues, it may still garner a pretty large base of gamers on consoles over time. There's usually 10k+ playing on the PC at any given time.

Slayven

]Has any of these multiplayer crafting/survival games ever delivered?[/B]

Most of them seem to be getting caught up in development hell and the few ones that come out of beta end up being a buggy mess and a shell of what was promised.

People should stop supporting these scams, especially on Steam. We don't need this shit invading the console market as well
They got be finished and polished before they even think about delivering.

grmlin

Oh boy, that console version clearly was a mistake. It's such a great game on PC if you like the crafting/building/surviving type of game.

jond76

Banned
I've been enjoying it. I like it better than I ever liked Minecraft.

It has some bugs, but they are being addressed(patch today, in fact).

Oh well.

DrArchon

So I just checked Steam and not only is this still in Early Access, the last update says it's still in Alpha.

What the fuck? Why is this being released on consoles? I thought PS4 didn't have a way to play Early Access games?

Kade

It was easily the worst survival game I've played on PC and it looks like it hasn't changed much since then.

CHC

Wait wait wait.... 37? Out of 100?

Surely that has to be one of the lowest aggregate scores I have ever seen. Jesus Christ....

DrArchon

Didn't know that was on PS4 (haven't followed it at all). I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Early Access games available for purchase on PSN, but literally the only even close to Early Access thing I've heard of being on PSN was the Indivisible demo, which was free.

I just remember Microsoft making a sorta big deal about being able to play in-development games on XBO. I don't remember Sony saying anything similar about PS4.

Didn't know that was on PS4 (haven't followed it at all). I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there were Early Access games available for purchase on PSN, but literally the only even close to Early Access thing I've heard of being on PSN was the Indivisible demo, which was free.

I just remember Microsoft making a sorta big deal about being able to play in-development games on XBO. I don't remember Sony saying anything similar about PS4.

I believe Dungeon Defenders II is/was early access on PS4. I don't think Sony has a dedicated promotion for it though, like MS does with Game Preview.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

That's because 7DTD isn't being advertised as an Early Access game on consoles. Nothing in the digital or physical versions states that it's still in alpha. For all any average consumer knows when they buy the game, it's a finished product.

DrArchon

That's because 7DTD isn't being advertised as an Early Access game on consoles. Nothing in the digital or physical versions states that it's still in alpha. For all any average consumer knows when they buy the game, it's a finished product.

Fucking hell that's scummy. That should be illegal that's so bad.

daevv

That is some low scores. I've been watching PS4 streams over the last day or so and it doesn't look that bad. Watched a 4 player co-op game for a few hours and there was some slowdown but nothing drastic. I'm actually thinking about getting the game today. Having a hard time finding the physical version here in Canada though and the pending postal strike/lockout is leaning me towards digital.

Stitch

Gold Member
It was easily the worst survival game I've played on PC and it looks like it hasn't changed much since then.

Nah, it's fun and changed a lot since Alpha 1. Every big update comes with so many changes, new stuff and fixes. Just the graphics already changed so many times. They switched from blocky terrain to smooth terrain. They switched to a new engine version, they updated pretty much every model (early versions had many, many stock assets). People saying the game didn't change or looks the same really have no idea.

There's also much worse Survivalshit on Steam. This is really one of the better ones.

OneUh8

So are the reviews for console versions? I can understand the scores if so. On PC it is early access. It is clearly not a finished game. I bought it for $10 during the Steam summer sale. Yet to play it, but it seems positive from the pc player reviews...

It's crazy, I have it on PS4, and have played it a ton since it came out...I love the gameplay loop, but the performance is awful..

It's really an addicting game, I hope they can get performance patched and the glitches fixed...This is really the worst reviewed game that I have really enjoyed...

Top Bottom