• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days To Die Review Thread

Nah, it's fun and changed a lot since Alpha 1. Every big update comes with so many changes, new stuff and fixes. Just the graphics already changed so many times. They switched from blocky terrain to smooth terrain. They switched to a new engine version, they updated pretty much every model (early versions had many, many stock assets). People saying the game didn't change or looks the same really have no idea.

There's also much worse Survivalshit on Steam. This is really one of the better ones.

Agree with this. I've had fun tooling around in it and it seems to have seen some serious improvement over the past year.

That said, this title is a perfect example of a game that fits the experimental/early access Steam ecosystem pretty well where gamers have the patience for ongoing development...but has no business with a console/retail release in its current state. I'm not sure how the pubs thought this game would be compatible with the console ecosystem and expectations. Even with all the improvements on PC thus far this thing is at least another year away from a proper console launch. Kinda mind-boggling they even tried at this point.

Upside: It'll be bargain bin fodder for $5 in 3-6 months. If the devs actually update it along with the PC version it might be worth playing eventually for the simplicity of its split-screen/couch co-op mode. That's the only reason I'd bother anyway. I won't hold my breathe but u never know....

Edit:

So are the reviews for console versions? I can understand the scores if so. On PC it is early access. It is clearly not a finished game. I bought it for $10 during the Steam summer sale. Yet to play it, but it seems positive from the pc player reviews...

Yeah, the reviews are for the console release. Basically, it's a really good Steam *early access* title and if played with that in mind its worth it for ~$10 or so on PC. Console reviews are unsurprisingly savage...its a whole different set of expectations. This release is kind of a head-scratcher... But maybe they'll really update it over time.

antitrop

Is this the lowest scored game so far this year?

It's tied with Dino Dini's Kick Off Revival and Soda Drinker Pro, yeah.

A7wJoDk.png

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member
Me and the gf have been playing on PS4 since it came out and really enjoying it. These reviews are surprisingly low to me. I think it's fun and well worth the $25 I paid for it.

big fake

ya honestly don't know people were seeing in this game. I mean it looked super duper derivative of all zombie games. And to top that looked pretty mediocre and looked to play likewise.

Wait, so is it listed as a complete game for consoles? Cause that'd be fucked up.

Seems this is being glossed over. As far as I know there is nothing on the packaging that says this game is unfinished and in alpha. If this is the case it's unbelievably misleading and shady as fuck.

grmlin

Considering what PC it needs to run in all of it's glory, and the fact that it's a unity game, I can't see how they could fix it on consoles.
I hope I'm wrong though as it deserves much better. I think it's great on PC

ShogunX

Has any of these multiplayer crafting/survival games ever delivered?

Most of them seem to be getting caught up in development hell and the few ones that come out of beta end up being a buggy mess and a shell of what was promised.

People should stop supporting these scams, especially on Steam. We don't need this shit invading the console market as well

Ark: Survival Evolved has delivered on consoles I would say. Had a pretty rough launch but it's received a lot of patches and updates since and is now only a patch behind the PC version. Obviously it still has issues in terms of performance but seeing as the current batch of consoles have piss weak CPU's I'm not sure what more they can do.

As for 7 days I've been thinking about buying it for a few days but watching it in action.....yikes.

Wait, so is it listed as a complete game for consoles? Cause that'd be fucked up.

Yeah, 7 Days looks to be a bit of an experimental release...as in, testing the waters to see if the console space will tolerate "early access" titles.

The problem is it isn't labeled as such.

I feel like it would have been better served as a XBL arcade/digital release with a clear warning that its an unfinished game in ongoing development.

But, then, that would have prevented the asking price of $30 and required something more like $10 or so (which is where the asking price should be for now). The way to promote it right would have been to entice people with a lower early access price that will "eventually go up" for the full retail release.

They done fucked this up.

MUnited83

For you.
The game is great fun and has grown a lot since the initial release. Releasing it on consoles while it's still Early Access was a dumb, dumb idea though. It's great for early access, but I understand the reviews when they are selling it as if it's complete.

pots555

I'm sure my opinion will change when I encounter some game breaking bugs but for now, I am really enjoying it. Slowly building my base and scavenging around it has been fun. Only 3 more days until the first wave of zombies. I have no idea if I'm going to survive.

Picked this up digitally on Xbox based on a bunch of friends playing it.

Had no idea it was in alpha. Should have been in Xboxs game preview section.

Does anyone know how/if I could go about getting a refund based since it was falsely advertised as a finished product?

Seventy5

On one hand, feel bad for people who bought this assuming (rightly so, it's available at retail) that it's a complete game. On the other, I was aware that it's in alpha and will improve over time, and I love the game. The bugs suck, but this is my 4th or 5th "early access" game on PS4 and I'm OK with it and having a great time co op with my son.

I don't think it should have been reviewed, but that's on TellTale for putting out on disk at Best Buy.

ItsDorf

Banned
Not sure why all the hate for this game. I think it's from people who haven't actually played it or just watched some videos basing it off Graphics. The game is clearly not complete, but neither is H1Z1, DAY Z, ARC, or 50 other titles like this, and they are enjoying success being incomplete. On PC it's in alpha and early access. The console port is a port of that Alpha. Final Fantasy was released like this only to be patched and converted to one of the best MMORPG's on the market so give it a little time.

If you read the forums they even state they are going to add new patches and optimizations to consoles as well as PC. However I do agree they didn't label it as an Early access title on consoles and I think that more about Sony than the developers trying to get over on you.

They released the game as complete up to Alpha 1.05(?) I think on Consoles as it's feature complete so it can be sold on disc. They also promised to give away free updates and features as they continue to develop it. It's a snarky way to avoid putting a Early Access name on the game and get it on consoles before others do.

So about the game. I haven't had so much fun in a survival game like this in a long time. It's got alot of the boxes that tick with me. Crafting like Minecraft but deeper (love lockable boxes), its got survival aspects having to gather food and resource to survive (the overheating bug is a pain but can be fixed), its got intense atmosphere where you actually jump from a zed sneaking up on you. It's a great co-op game.

Im so tired of PVP servers in these games where everyone just trolls and kills the noobs ruining the game experience for others. Is it perfect nope! But in my mind they have bought some time especially on the consoles as the game is a pretty solid experience especially since the 1.02 patch yesterday that has fixed the corrupted game saves I was having.

All in all I would rate it a solid 8 currently on a 1/10 scale. Well worth the time if you have any interest on the genre as there is nothing on consoles like it currently.

ShogunX

Picked this up digitally on Xbox based on a bunch of friends playing it.

Had no idea it was in alpha. Should have been in Xboxs game preview section.

Does anyone know how/if I could go about getting a refund based since it was falsely advertised as a finished product?

Contact Support and keep stressing how it's false advertising ect ect and you will get a ''one time'' bonus refund :)

I did it for Payday on the X1.

prudislav

any official word from the devs about this weird of a release .. its weird to release it on consoles as full game when its not even out of alpha

Nzyme32

Yeah, 7 Days looks to be a bit of an experimental release...as in, testing the waters to see if the console space will tolerate "early access" titles.

The problem is it isn't labeled as such.

I feel like it would have been better served as a XBL arcade/digital release with a clear warning that its an unfinished game in ongoing development.

But, then, that would have prevented the asking price of $30 and required something more like $10 or so (which is where the asking price should be for now). The way to promote it right would have been to entice people with a lower early access price that will "eventually go up" for the full retail release.

They done fucked this up.

That seems a ridiculous notion, considering the PC version remains in Early Access and as of Jun 20th got another Alpha build. Putting it under Early Access or whatever the Xbox variant is, would be fine as long as those services explain exactly the risk you take with such a title. But releasing it any other way is just stupid.

Tagyhag

Not sure why all the hate for this game. I think it's from people who haven't actually played it or just watched some videos basing it off Graphics. The game is clearly not complete, but neither is H1Z1, DAY Z, ARC, or 50 other titles like this, and they are enjoying success being incomplete. On PC it's in alpha and early access. The console port is a port of that Alpha. Final Fantasy was released like this only to be patched and converted to one of the best MMORPG's on the market so give it a little time.

If you read the forums they even state they are going to add new patches and optimizations to consoles as well as PC. However I do agree they didn't label it as an Early access title on consoles and I think that more about Sony than the developers trying to get over on you.

They released the game as complete up to Alpha 1.05(?) I think on Consoles as it's feature complete so it can be sold on disc. They also promised to give away free updates and features as they continue to develop it. It's a snarky way to avoid putting a Early Access name on the game and get it on consoles before others do.

So about the game. I haven't had so much fun in a survival game like this in a long time. It's got alot of the boxes that tick with me. Crafting like Minecraft but deeper (love lockable boxes), its got survival aspects having to gather food and resource to survive (the overheating bug is a pain but can be fixed), its got intense atmosphere where you actually jump from a zed sneaking up on you. It's a great co-op game.

Im so tired of PVP servers in these games where everyone just trolls and kills the noobs ruining the game experience for others. Is it perfect nope! But in my mind they have bought some time especially on the consoles as the game is a pretty solid experience especially since the 1.02 patch yesterday that has fixed the corrupted game saves I was having.

All in all I would rate it a solid 8 currently on a 1/10 scale. Well worth the time if you have any interest on the genre as there is nothing on consoles like it currently.

Why are you giving the devs a pass on trying to release an early access game as a complete game?

Even if Sony told them "You can't say this is early access", they're the ones that still let the game be released...

Xbox even has its own early access store called "game preview". This should have released there and it wouldn't have been as big an issue.

It's really bad you guys. I tried to give it a chance since I love Minecraft and zombie games in general.

The horrendous graphics are actually the least of this game's concerns. The menus and inventory system are a mess. You overheat like every 10 minutes, just from being outside and walking around with clothes on so you have to strip naked and put a bandana on your face to cool down. Because somehow that bandana helps. You can't sleep at night, even in a fully fortified house, so if you're done crafting or doing whatever you wanted to do you have to wait for the sun to come up if you want to move around outside and actually see anything. Combat feels terrible. I never once ran into a firearm of any kind. Movement is incredibly slow. tldr, this game has no redeeming qualities. I'm not sure any amount of extra development time would have helped.

The guys on the official forums warned them about releasing it like this on consoles as soon as it was announced because on PC we can at least do workarounds for the jank but NOWHERE did they say the console releases were alpha/early access etc they made it flat out look like a full feature complete gold pressed release.

The flak should be on Telltale (publisher) and Iron Galaxy (console port Dev) for false advertising and releasing something in this state.

When I got it on PC it was made very clear I was buying an alpha early access product, and knowing that I have made some performance and administrative tweaks to make the game run properly (still bugs etc now and then of course) but the game is actually really fun and has a great foundation, I've had a blast playing it with my wife and brother on a regular basis.

SomTervo

My girlfriend and I been playing for hours and hours splitscreen on PS4 since Saturday.

The game is nth-degree janky but fuck the gameplay and systems are great. Jank aside i'd give it a 9/10.

winstano

I'm reviewing it at the moment. It's awful. Just awful. I can't wait for this "Everything needs to be DayZ" indie market to die.

OneUh8

The guys on the official forums warned them about releasing it like this on consoles as soon as it was announced because on PC we can at least do workarounds for the jank but NOWHERE did they say the console releases were alpha/early access etc they made it flat out look like a full feature complete gold pressed release.

The flak should be on Telltale (publisher) and Iron Galaxy (console port Dev) for false advertising and releasing something in this state.

When I got it on PC it was made very clear I was buying an alpha early access product, and knowing that I have made some performance and administrative tweaks to make the game run properly (still bugs etc now and then of course) but the game is actually really fun and has a great foundation, I've had a blast playing it with my wife and brother on a regular basis.

Did not know Iron Galaxy was responsible for the console port. They did Batman AK pc port too didn't they? Ouch.

SomTervo

I'm reviewing it at the moment. It's awful. Just awful. I can't wait for this "Everything needs to be DayZ" indie market to die.

Play it with a friend. Becomes one billion times more fun. Everyone in the OT who says they're enjoying it are playing co-op.

Split screen is the most stable.

ItsDorf

Banned
Why are you giving the devs a pass on trying to release an early access game as a complete game?

Even if Sony told them "You can't say this is early access", they're the ones that still let the game be released...

Your correct they should be accountable for the misleading way its marketed and released, Im not forgiving that. Personally I knew it was to be a WIP while others did not. I guess we have to look at what we consider final. The game could be considered final and released but additional content will be added for free. Many console games are released un-optimized and than patched up.

Im not letting anyone off, and I understand others having problems with this but I like the game and understood what I was buying.

grmlin

As much as I like the game, releasing it as a full and final game on consoles was the worst thing they could do tbh. You can buy a disc of it, too, right?
This must have been the publisher, right?

I know so many people who love this game and played it for many many hours since the first alpha. It's a shame they risk all the reputation they earned in the past with a move like that.

Yeah it's pretty much awful. Bought it because my son like zombies and minecraft so I figured eh wtf that might be a fun game to play together. Combat is awful, runs like shit and looks like shit.

It's janky as hell but I played about 12 hours straight this weekend and I almost never do that

It's scratching an itch I don't know I had. Nothing like it on consoles, I don't game on PC so never got to play dayz and all the clones

As much as I like the game, releasing it as a full and final game on consoles was the worst thing they could do tbh. You can buy a disc of it, too, right?

I know so many people who love this game and played it for many many hours since the first alpha. It's a shame they risk all the reputation they earned in the past with a move like that.
Yes it is available on disc but that's good news. I was able to sell mine for basically what I bought it for.

Karak

It is indeed. Its a game that isn't relatively well known but will be in the next couple days due to this.

Did not know Iron Galaxy was responsible for the console port. They did Batman AK pc port too didn't they? Ouch.

Yeah lol they did that horrid PC port for Batman, so quite the track record there for quality =S

It's a shame because on PC it has promise and like others have said it's a fun game and the foundation is really good but sending it to consoles with this much jank and in an unadvertised alpha state was just asking for it to get murdered which will hurt the PC side as well no doubt.

prudislav

just boggles my mind wha would a game which is not even out of alpha be on metacritic ... someone must fucked up vera hard with this ... most likely some suit an some nonsensical agreement

It's great to see early access shite burned down on consoles, steam is a good service but such a filthy dumpster at the same time, yikes.

SomTervo

9 crashes and counting. Jezuz

Savage.

Not a dig at you - but i'm really confused about how you guys are playing this. We have 15+ hours logged split screen with nary a single crash. Plenty of stutters, but no crash.

You on XBO?

TheNAC

Banned
I love this game. It seems like it's easily the most in depth survival game out. Bought it on ps4 knowing it buggy and an alpha aND it's amazing.

winstano

The more I've played of this, the angrier I've gotten. How the fuck can publishers get away with this? There are tons of people (myself included) that don't follow early access stuff that much, and I had NO idea that this was an Early Access title. Nowhere in any of the marketing does it state that, nowhere in any promo guff does it say "Oh, this is pretty much a shell of a game, so bear with it and come back to it in a year".

Should have my review going up in the next half hour or so, but this is disgusting.

Top Bottom