• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Song of the Deep Review Thread

sotd_main.jpg

Metacritic
Opencritic

USGamer 4.5/5
Insomniac Games' Song of the Deep is an excellent metroidvania whose underwater setting gives the genre a nice twist. Its map is impressively large, and it packs many inventive puzzles that are fun to solve. It looks and sounds brilliant too. The boss battles are a little on the weak side however, but they don't take the shine off what is otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable and very sweet exploration game.

Gameinformer 7/10

Luckily, Song of the Deep’s combat and beautiful presentation, showing cutscenes as colorful storybook illustrations accompanied by narration from an Irish-accented speaker, push the game a fair distance above its failings and make it a journey worth taking for anyone who enjoys Metroid-inspired games or action/adventure games with interesting stories.

GameSpot 6/10
Song of the Deep's mix of combat, puzzle-solving, and exploration generally lands somewhere around "fine," even if it waivers between aggravating and enjoyable in the process. And although the game tests your patience more often than your skill, its engrossing world and excellent story keep the experience afloat through it all.

Destructoid 7/10
Despite its sparkling surface, Song of the Deep could use a bit more polish. That said, it hits more than it misses, and I can easily see myself coming back to its sprawling world every few years or so. With more development time in the form of a sequel (possibly using another mythos and setting), it could be something really special. For now what we've got is absolutely still worth playing.

Wait a minute; isn't GameInformer the publication that's owned by GameStop?! I'm amazed they didn't automatically give it a higher score. Got some respect for that.

Anyway, I've had my eye on this but I probably won't be there on day one. Maybe down the line after I've played ABZU, if I'm in the mood for another aquatic game.

DrArchon

I'm glad the reviews are fairly solid so far, though I don't have the time to play it right now. I'm just glad it's not a complete disaster or anything.

I hope it won't turn out to be as aggravating as the Gamespot reviewer found it, but even so I think I'll still be able to power through any tough points as long as everything else is good enough.

kionedrik

Getting some Aquaria vibes from this game which is never a bad thing.

Happy the game's quality is on par with it's visual presentation.

Wait a minute; isn't GameInformer the publication that's owned by GameStop?! I'm amazed they didn't automatically give it a higher score. Got some respect for that.

Anyway, I've had my eye on this but I probably won't be there on day one. Maybe down the line after I've played ABZU, if I'm in the mood for another aquatic game.

That's why this is at the end: Disclaimer: GameTrust is the publishing label of GameStop, the parent company of Game Informer. All opinions in this review are the author’s, based on his experience with the game.

They have a disclaimer at the bottom of the review. Although I don't think they should have reviewed it at all.

I agree, GI really shouldn't be reviewing GameStop-published games going forward.

By reviewing them, it seems that only two perceived outcomes are possible (even if neither is actually true):

- Due to a conflict of interest, the game is scored higher than it should be.

or

- In an effort to appear unbiased, the game is criticized more harshly than it otherwise would be.

Either way, the perception will be that the game wasn't critiqued fairly.

I agree, GI really shouldn't be reviewing GameStop-published games going forward.

By reviewing them, it seems that only two perceived outcomes are possible (even if neither is actually true):

- Due a conflict of interest, the game is scored higher than it should be.
- In an effort to appear unbiased, the game is criticized more harshly than it otherwise would be.

Either way, the perception will be that the game wasn't critiqued fairly.
I mean its not that different from reviews for PS4/XB1 coming from the official PS4/XB1 magazine right? I personally think all of those reviews are kinda useless lol

I mean its not that different from reviews for PS4/XB1 coming from the official PS4/XB1 magazine right? I personally think all of those reviews are kinda useless lol

True, it is similar. I think most people go into those mags with a different expectation though.

Ricker

From the GI review:

''About halfway through, Song of the Deep takes a sudden and sharp turn into puzzle territory, where you have to use objects like ammunition balls or glass reflectors to solve environmental puzzles. The shift isn’t a problem in itself; the issue is the powerful disconnect between the control scheme and the precision that these challenges require. For example, one section where you have to bounce a ball around with the tip of your sub nose to get it to reach a high up place is particularly annoying. The slightest movement in the wrong direction results in the ball falling to its doom, forcing you to go back to get a new one and do the whole thing again. Several sections are like this, with the best puzzles resulting not in a sense of triumph over solving them, but instead a wave of relief that they were not as frustrating as the one I solved an hour before. Song of the Deep’s puzzles are the worst kinds of puzzles, where performing the solution is much harder than figuring out what that solution is.

To make matters worse, a bevy of technical issue affect the playability of Song of the Deep. During my playthrough, I found three segments where I had to navigate through passages filled with traps capable of killing you in one hit.''

Pass for me,why do they still have to do stuff like this...I am not putting quarters in a machine anymore...

wouwie

Most reviews seem to indicate it could have been very solid with a bit more time/polish and better puzzles, which seem easy to solve but hard to execute due to the controls. Visuals, story and music seem to be praised in most reviews. I'm still buying this day one though.

From the GI review:

''About halfway through, Song of the Deep takes a sudden and sharp turn into puzzle territory, where you have to use objects like ammunition balls or glass reflectors to solve environmental puzzles. The shift isn’t a problem in itself; the issue is the powerful disconnect between the control scheme and the precision that these challenges require. For example, one section where you have to bounce a ball around with the tip of your sub nose to get it to reach a high up place is particularly annoying. The slightest movement in the wrong direction results in the ball falling to its doom, forcing you to go back to get a new one and do the whole thing again. Several sections are like this, with the best puzzles resulting not in a sense of triumph over solving them, but instead a wave of relief that they were not as frustrating as the one I solved an hour before. Song of the Deep’s puzzles are the worst kinds of puzzles, where performing the solution is much harder than figuring out what that solution is.

To make matters worse, a bevy of technical issue affect the playability of Song of the Deep. During my playthrough, I found three segments where I had to navigate through passages filled with traps capable of killing you in one hit.''

Pass for me,why do they still have to do stuff like this...I am not putting quarters in a machine anymore...

Ugh, that's the worst pitfall of physics-based puzzle design. Well, I wasn't going to buy this at full price anyway.

Any reviewer comments on the 30 framerate? Rock solid, dips, noticeable, or anything else?
Destructoid:
There are also a few technical issues like framerate drops when the action gets hectic

Game Informer:
To make matters worse, a bevy of technical issue affect the playability of Song of the Deep. During my playthrough, I found three segments where I had to navigate through passages filled with traps capable of killing you in one hit. Each area was accompanied by a massive framerate drop, making navigation more of a crapshoot than a trial involving skill.

sarcoa

Any reviewer comments on the 30 framerate? Rock solid, dips, noticeable, or anything else?
I'm not finished with it yet, but it's 30 on PS4 until there's a bunch of activity onscreen. I've seen it dip during huge enemy encounters and during some of the laser puzzles. This is like 2% of the whole game, but it's there.

Generally it's OK otherwise though. It's an on-model metroidvania without jump as a central mechanic. Some of the physics-y stuff feels more like work than a game, but, at the very least, it's better than Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

From the GI review:

Yeah, that really kind of kills it for me. I mean, it's only $15 and all, so maybe I'll still pick it up, but that review really wet the fire.

MADGAME

I'm not finished with it yet, but it's 30 on PS4 until there's a bunch of activity onscreen. I've seen it dip during huge enemy encounters and during some of the laser puzzles. This is like 2% of the whole game, but it's there.

Generally it's OK otherwise though. It's an on-model metroidvania without jump as a central mechanic. Some of the physics-y stuff feels more like work than a game, but, at the very least, it's better than Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

On PC I didn't notice any frame rate drops personally.

Thanks all, that's a bummer. At least it sounds like framerate problems aren't overly prevalent.

Still though, someone in another thread posted a link to Insomniac's site claiming "internal research" showed people generally don't care about 60fps as long as the framerate isn't bad/distracting, so they opt for 30fps in their games. Very disheartening they couldn't even meet that low bar. Not trying to rain on the parade, but framerate is very important to some of us!

I think I will keep my preorder and give the game a chance.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
From the GI review:

That sounds bad, but unfortunately you can never be sure that someone doesn't just suck at games. Will have to wait for more impressions of these puzzles.

Shin-Ra

UbiArt: Flawless 1080p60 on last gen systems.
Customised Unity: 1080p30 with frame drops on current gen.

DrArchon

Are there any reviews out there for the PC version? All the ones I've seen have been for the PS4 version, and I'd like to know how well the PC version runs, especially because of those reporting framerate issues in some parts of the game.

Shin-Ra

I'm not sure why you're comparing them though - SotD is a 3D game and one would assuming it's more demanding than a 2D game.
They're all 3D games dominated by parallax 2D layers which are texture mapped camera facing triangles. Rayman Legends and Deep exposing clear 3D models.

bede-x

Are there any reviews out there for the PC version? All the ones I've seen have been for the PS4 version, and I'd like to know how well the PC version runs, especially because of those reporting framerate issues in some parts of the game.

That's also what I'm trying to find out. Reviews are good enough for me, but I want 60fps in my games, so I hope Digital Foundry does a comparison.

That's also what I'm trying to find out. Reviews are good enough for me, but I want 60fps in my games, so I hope Digital Foundry does a comparison.

Insomniac guy claimed that it had no trouble running at 1080p60 even on the minimum requirements (which don't even list a specific GPU, just 1GB of VRAM), so perhaps Unity on console is the culprit.

Regiruler

Wow a 2D game optimized for last gen consoles performing without frame drops !!!!!!!!!!!

But Rayman is still a fantastic looking game, so clearly they're not using the power correctly.

Just because you're targeting current hardware as opposed to older hardware shouldn't give you any sort of pass. It's important to think more restrictive, not less.

bede-x

Insomniac guy claimed that it had no trouble running at 1080p60 even on the minimum requirements (which don't even list a specific GPU, just 1GB of VRAM), so perhaps Unity on console is the culprit.

Sounds promising. I'd still like it confirmed from a trusted source like Digital Foundry or another gaffer.

Top Bottom