• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Song of the Deep Review Thread

Jesus Christ they rate it a 7/10 and offer a disclaimer

And people still bitch about it

Feel free to not read th GI review if you think it's a conflict of interest

No one cares if you think they shouldn't review it, that's up to GI to decide

Dominator

As a GS employee they gave all of us workers a free code yesterday. I've been playing it a lot and I like it quite a bit. Gameplay is fun and once you get some attachments for the subs the puzzles get pretty diverse.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the backtracking. If you want to go for collectibles you'll have to go back all the way to the beginning for some stuff you couldn't reach once you get some specific upgrades. It's not crazy far or anything but that's just a small complaint of mine.

Other than that, I like it.

bede-x

Shouldn't there be more reviews out? Haven't seen any of the PC version and there aren't that many of the console versions either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Saoirse Ronan the narrator in the game? Sounds a bit like her, trying to place the voice.

The same narrator as featured in the story trailer? Nah; the voice is way off, plus publishers tend to make no secret of celebrity involvement in video games. Ronan's never done any video game work and in all likelihood wouldn't entertain the idea unless she were contractually obligated to (e.g. Lego Episode VII were she cast as Rey), but she may at least consider making an exception for something that's deeply rooted in Irish folklore. So, hey, Insomniac, if you ever make a sequel... ;)

I was looking to pre-order this on PSN but couldn't find it. Do you have to buy it through Gamestop or something?

No, it will be on psn. Like many small games, it has no preorder/preload, but will appear with the update on Tuesday afternoon. The Drop which details the week's psn releases mentioned it was coming (and implied it was just digital, even though it is physically available at retail at Gamestop.)

I think the reviews average out to a fair numerical score. It's a good game, but it gets tedious, and the light puzzle is driving me nuts right now.

I think I'm at the end of that, but don't know how to progress or how far I am in game.

Valahart

I must crosspost this here because it's making me really upset:

"WTH is this so ridiculously overpriced in Brazilian store?
So, for those of you who don't know, $1 is approximately R$3.3 brazilian currency.

Steam usually uses a $1 ~ R$2 conversion.

This game costs $15 so you'd think it would cost R$30 right? R$50 maximum right?

No, this costs R$100. Wth? Seriously?"

Here's the developer reasoning for the price:

"vitti_ix [developer] 1 hour ago
Not an error. That price matches the lowest price tier for retail games and as the game is launching at retail as well at 99 real, we had to match the price."

Wth? In the US there's also a retail version that costs $30 while the digital one costs $15.

This is just ridiculous. Very disappointed at Insomniac/GameStop.

They aren't going to sell one single copy in South America.

So, for those of you who don't know, $1 is approximately R$3.3 brazilian currency.

This game costs $15 so you'd think it would cost R$30 right? R$50 maximum right?

Not an error. That price matches the lowest price tier for retail games and as the game is launching at retail as well at 99 real, we had to match the price."

Wth? In the US there's also a retail version that costs $30 while the digital one costs $15.

That's actually not true. The standard edition of the game in the US is $14.99 retail or download, same price.
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/song-of-the-deep/128471

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I checked into this. And first to note - the game is $15 digitally and physically in the US, only the CE is $30.

A. the pure conversion is $30.21 (or from US price of 15 - 50 real), so you're right IS significantly more (about double). Some of that is true with taxes and such obviously.

B. In the US, Gametrust can launch the game at 15 bucks at retail. We cannot do that in Brazil. The cheapest tier, with the distribution costs and tax cost, is 99 real.

C. As that's the retail price, we can't undercut it on steam and undercut distribution at retail.

I realize that makes it way more expensive than a 2-1 conversion (which favors the real heavily). But the economics of having a it available at retail necessitate the price point.

Based on the reviews I think I will get my moneys worth...

Title screen has an awesome vibe to it audio wise..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDdLP8z3Bcw

I've said it elsewhere, but this is one of, if not my favorite soundtrack of any Insomniac game I've worked on.

I checked into this. And first to note - the game is $15 digitally and physically in the US, only the CE is $30.

I've said it elsewhere, but this is one of, if not my favorite soundtrack of any Insomniac game I've worked on.

So whats up with the super limited 3000 unit release that includes a puzzle? Was that offered in the US?

Decided to stick with my preorder and I'll pick up the PS4 LE tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Fuck! There goes five hours down the drain. Or so it seems.

I completed the light puzzle this morning, and the solution was a lot easier than expected. There was a mirror piece I needed to rotate, but couldn't really see because it was mostly being blocked out by a beam of light. Once I found out about that, it was easy.

After that, you get a new part, and are sent back down below by a current. The idea is that you'll go to the bottom of the puzzle and will get out of the area. However, I can't. I'm stuck.

I get out from the current pipe and am supposed to exit through a tunnel I already cleared in the puzzle. Cleared by using light to open its blockades.

Well, one of those blockades is back in place, and the beam of light that is supposed to be there is gone. I can't get through, there's no previous save to revert to because you can only save once and I believe I'm shit out of luck.

I don't feel like replaying all of that right now and am pissed off.

Here's a link to a Let's Play of that segment. It won't show any real spoilers.

https://youtu.be/SxwBWBQq0XA?t=32m47s

Valahart

A. the pure conversion is $30.21 (or from US price of 15 - 50 real), so you're right IS significantly more (about double). Some of that is true with taxes and such obviously.

B. In the US, Gametrust can launch the game at 15 bucks at retail. We cannot do that in Brazil. The cheapest tier, with the distribution costs and tax cost, is 99 real.

C. As that's the retail price, we can't undercut it on steam and undercut distribution at retail.

Why can the prices between reatail and digital version be different on consoles but not on pc?

Why is it R$30 on Xbox, R$50 on PS4 and R$100 on Steam?

Why was it R$27,99 on steam before a huge ridiculous price increase on June 25th?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Why can the prices between reatail and digital version be different on consoles but not on pc?

Why was it R$27,99 on steam before a huge ridiculous price increase on June 25th?

I'm honestly not sure. Insomniac doesn't set the price.

I've asked Gametrust for further clarification

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I'm told the current Xbox / PS4 prices on those stores are not correct.

Gametrust did whatever it could to keep the price as low as possible, but high prices for games are normal in Brazil due to the cost of releasing the games there.

Valahart

I'm told the current Xbox / PS4 prices on those stores are not correct.

Gametrust did whatever it could to keep the price as low as possible, but high prices for games are normal in Brazil due to the cost of releasing the games there.

No it's not. I can send you a list of 500 steam games that are released at 1/3rd the price SotD is asking for.

Quick examples, all at the same price tag in the US and costing R$27,99 in Brazil:

Shovel Knight
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250760/

Crypt of the Necrodancer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/

Enter the Gungeon
http://store.steampowered.com/app/311690/

If retail release is the problem I'll highly recommend you guys just stop shipping retail copies to Brazil because that's bringing your company name to the mud.

Top Bottom