• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm announced.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Thanks to @RobotBrush on Twitter for bringing this to my attention.

http://oceanhorn.blogspot.ca/2016/08/oceanhorn-2-in-development.html

The boy has grown up? That’s right! But he is a different boy altogether! Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm is set in another time period on the Oceanhorn timeline. The game has a new Hero, a boy who has been trained to become a Knight of Arcadia.

Oceanhorn 2 will be built upon the same elements that were the heart and soul of the first Oceanhorn game: exploring a colorful world, a deep backstory with secrets and twists, amazing music, and most importantly – classic Action RPG gameplay with items, puzzles, battles, and badass bosses!

The game is played from a third person camera angle that will take players right into the heat of action and allows them to explore even the smallest details of Arcadia. Our battle system consists of sword fighting, utilizing powerful spells and finding creative ways to use various items that Hero discovers on his travels.

One of the key items in the game is the Caster, a gun that shoots magical projectiles! It will have many uses on the player’s adventure, from puzzle solving to luring enemies and casting directed spells.

Oceanhorn-2-Screenshot-1.png

Reminds me a LOT of Skyward Sword.

jdstorm

Banned
Will be interesting to see how they justify this title since
Oceanhorn is the name of the final boss you destroy in Oceanhorn

Happy to see indies filling the void of fun family friendly action adventure games on Non Nintendo platforms

Edit: Oceanhorn is definitely worth a play through, and if you are looking for another fun mostly overlooked IOS game of the time. Air Mail is an incredibly charming action adventure flight sim worth a look

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/air-mail

Killyoh

They had the benefit of the doubt for the first one and the Wind Waker resemblance but c'mon that's straight up Breath of the Wild

BY2K

Membero Americo
They had the benefit of the doubt for the first one and the Wind Waker resemblance but c'mon that's straight up Breath of the Wild

Looks more like Skyward Sword to me.

But that weapon that shoot magical projectiles that has a light blue shine... I mean, c'mon now.

kulapik

Oceanhorn-2-Caster.png

The world of Oceanhorn has grown and so has our team. The core team working on Oceanhorn 2 is now a team of five!

Heikki Repo, Creator and Lead Artist
Jukka Viljamaa, Lead Programmer
Antti Viljamaa, Lead Programmer
Kalle Hämäläinen, Graphics Programmer
Miko Kiuru, Game Artist

Also, Kalle Ylitalo will return to compose soundtrack for Oceanhorn 2 and the famed sound designer and foley artist Tapio Liukkonen will be in charge of the audio experience.

FelipeMGM

Will be interesting to see how they justify this title since
Oceanhorn is the name of the final boss you destroy in Oceanhorn

Happy to see indies filling the void of fun family friendly action adventure games on Non Nintendo platforms

Here, this might answer you in some way.

The boy has grown up? That’s right! But he is a different boy altogether! Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm is set in another time period on the Oceanhorn timeline. The game has a new Hero, a boy who has been trained to become a Knight of Arcadia.

jdstorm

Banned
Here, this might answer you in some way.

From what I remember of the first game.
The Arcadians were a lost civilisation who lived in a sky fortress, who's civilisation had crumbled and the Hero's lost mother was one of the last Arcadians.
so it will probably be a prequel.

That weapon looks fun. It seems like it will be Oceanhorns Version of the Gravity Gun

Fbh

I remember reading that as far as Zelda clones go the first one is pretty fun.

So hey, of this is a fun 3D Zelda clone it might be worth a play through

BY2K

Membero Americo
From what I remember of the first game.
The Arcadians were a lost civilisation who lived in a sky fortress, who's civilisation had crumbled and the Hero's lost mother was one of the last Arcadians.
so it will probably be a prequel.

That weapon looks fun. It seems like it will be Oceanhorns Version of the Gravity Gun

The Arcadians were a lost civilisation who lived in a sky fortress

Are you kidding me?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the first one was Wind Waker and this new one is Skyward Sword? The colour palette is near identical

Luigiv

Cool. Nice to see they ditched the cube terrain for something more conventional. That'll hopefully help this one have better level design than the original.

CryptiK

Who cares if its a rip off. The first game was good and this one looks great and at least we are getting another Zelda like game.

Oceanhorn-2-Screenshot-1.png

The Arcadians were a lost civilisation who lived in a sky fortress
This franchise is going from shameless Zelda clone to theft, lol

StereoVsn

The first game was pretty fun and didn't jump into F2P route on mobile plus dev supported it fairly well. I am in for this one. Hopefully they will do Steam release close to iOS.

As far as cloning, don't care. We need more Zelda like games and these guys are doing more of an homage vs copying, IMO.

venomenon

Cool. Nice to see they ditched the cube terrain for something more conventional.
That was one of the very few things that set it apart from Wind Waker though :D

Not that I have a problem with it. Liked the 1st, will definitely play the 2nd.

The first game was pretty fun and didn't jump into F2P route on mobile plus dev supported it fairly well. I am in for this one. Hopefully they will do Steam release close to iOS.

As far as cloning, don't care. We need more Zelda like games and these guys are doing more of an homage vs copying, IMO.
Maybe the first game, but based on the little that is shown here, it's a pretty shameless copy of skyward sword from the game's look to the fact that he's a knight in training in a floating island

Violet_0

Banned
they really do like Zelda
I wasn't really into the first game, though

oh, and please, hire a decent writer. The world/setting/story/characters of Oceanhorn was as generic as they come and from what little we know it looks like they want to continue this proud tradition

StereoVsn

they really do like Zelda
I wasn't really into the first game, though

oh, and please, hire a decent writer. The world/setting/story/characters of Oceanhorn was as generic as they come and from what little we know it looks like they want to continue this proud tradition
It's now a 5 man team, used to be less. Do you think hey can afford to hire a separate writer? :). Hopefully quality of writing will be improved, we shall see.

As to the whole Sword/Knight thing, it's just couple initial shots. Before you guys skewer the dev lets see more of the game. Also, again personally I don't really car all that much. These guys are not stealing assets, they like Zelda and are trying to build another Zelda clone. We haven't had a good one since Alundra before Oceanhorn and considering team size the first game was pretty darn good.

jdstorm

Banned
It's now a 5 man team, used to be less. Do you think hey can afford to hire a separate writer? :). Hopefully quality of writing will be improved, we shall see.

As to the whole Sword/Knight thing, it's just couple initial shots. Before you guys skewer the dev lets see more of the game. Also, again personally I don't really car all that much. These guys are not stealing assets, they like Zelda and are trying to build another Zelda clone. We haven't had a good one since Alundra before Oceanhorn and considering team size the first game was pretty darn good.

Honestly I've always felt that the "Zelda Clone" reputation that Oceanhorn had was undeserved. Sure parts of it looked like Wind Waker and
in early drafts of the script, the hero was going off to save his lost sister. Until the Cornfox team were reminded that WindWaker was about link saving his sister not Princess Zelda and they changed the script to be about their hero's relationship with his parents. Something Zelda never really explores

But Oceanhorn also borrows from other JRPG and Adventure games just as liberally. One of the boss battles feels like the plant boss battle in Metroid prime, their is an Airship moment around halfway through the game. Not to mention the whole Killer Robot motif. While it doesn't do much to differentiate itself within its genre. It Oceanhorn is charming and likeable which I think is what people most enjoy about Zelda games. Hence the comparison

Shredderi

Looks damn good visually. I'm interested, shameless Zelda clone or not. As far as clones go, you could do a lot worse than copying Zelda.

I'm okay with this, I still haven't played Ocean Horn but I love the Zelda formula so much I wish more people would do mediocre-okay rip offs of it.

Luigiv

That was one of the very few things that set it apart from Wind Waker though :D

Not that I have a problem with it. Liked the 1st, will definitely play the 2nd.

Yeah, though that just meant it was derivative of Minecraft instead.

But anyway, jokes aside, the cube terrain did the not-particularly-great-to-begin-with level design no favours.

TimmiT

I've never played the first game, but it seems pretty good and at least has its own look to it. This meanwhile just kinda looks like a rip-off. :X

Like I'm fine with games trying to be the same at other franchises gameplay-wise, but when it just tries to be the same game it just becomes lazy and uninteresting imo.

StereoVsn

Honestly I've always felt that the "Zelda Clone" reputation that Oceanhorn had was undeserved. Sure parts of it looked like Wind Waker and
in early drafts of the script, the hero was going off to save his lost sister. Until the Cornfox team were reminded that WindWaker was about link saving his sister not Princess Zelda and they changed the script to be about their hero's relationship with his parents. Something Zelda never really explores

But Oceanhorn also borrows from other JRPG and Adventure games just as liberally. One of the boss battles feels like the plant boss battle in Metroid prime, their is an Airship moment around halfway through the game. Not to mention the whole Killer Robot motif. While it doesn't do much to differentiate itself within its genre. It Oceanhorn is charming and likeable which I think is what people most enjoy about Zelda games. Hence the comparison
Good points about the overall game direction. In either case it was decent to good game with fairly well done 3D graphics which is fairly rare in indie games.

The sequel should be better with more resources so I am looking toward that. And again, everyone should support more non F2P games on iOS.

Top Bottom