• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm announced.

Some fantasy names just need to be retired... Arcadia being a prime example, I think we've ridden that ol' horse as far as she can go.

Valahart

Apparently it's becoming a thing to make announcements of indie games with so little actual content to show and I hate it.

I mean, come on guys, a song and 2 pictures?

The equivalent of Sony teasing Kojima's new game before it even has an engine.

AU Tiger

Apparently it's becoming a thing to make announcements of indie games with so little actual content to show and I hate it.

The Death Stranding cinematic was in-engine

believe

rhandino

Banned
e4fglJa.gif

Jeffrey

for the lack in originality in aspects, the game was a technical marvel on iOS and they keep updating the engine for optimization and more effects.

The world needs more Zelda-esque adventure games... SURELY there is a way to make such a game without ripping off Zelda though?? And the tower in the background looks straight out of Rime. And "Knights of the Lost Realm" is about as generic as you can get.

It's clear that they have talented people working on this game, the lack of creativity and inspiration is kinda confounding.

Vecks

The first one is rather mediocre, but I guess I'd probably still play the sequel if I got it in a bundle.

kevin1025

Banned
I liked what I played of the first game, I should really go back and finish it. This one sounds pretty ambitious, I like the sound of it!

Zyrox

Before I entered this thread I thought to myself: "Would be hilarious if they went on from aping Wind Waker to aping Skyward Sword in this sequel"
Then I clicked on the thread, scrolled down and saw the screenshot. Didn't actually expect to be so on the money with that kinda jokey thought. Heh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The first one was ok but it's mobile roots shone through every aspect of it's design.

Is this one also a mobile title?

Kieli

Before I entered this thread I thought to myself: "Would be hilarious if they went on from aping Wind Waker to aping Skyward Sword in this sequel"
Then I clicked on the thread, scrolled down and saw the screenshot. Didn't actually expect to be so on the money with that kinda jokey thought. Heh.

Real-talk though: I don't mind if one dev apes another dev (so long as we're not straight up stealing assets). People take inspiration from other people who take inspiration from other people all the time.

If it can result in a competent product, then that's a good thing in my book.

ghibli99

Funny timing... I'm playing Oceanhorn right now, and am enjoying it. It's not classic or anything, but it's well-made and fun to play. Also runs at a rock-solid 60fps at 4K.

TimmiT

Real-talk though: I don't mind if one dev apes another dev (so long as we're not straight up stealing assets). People take inspiration from other people who take inspiration from other people all the time.

If it can result in a competent product, then that's a good thing in my book.

I somewhat agree with this, but still I think a game should have its own identity. If it so much tries to be like something else that it has incredibly similar looking environments it becomes less interesting to me. Just feels lazy and uninspired.

dreams

Neat! I really liked the first game. It was extremely easy and definitely not hiding the fact that it was a Zelda clone, but it felt fun. A great, relaxing game to play to unwind after a long day at work, imo.

Lijik

I really liked the boxy overhead look of the original, felt like I was playing with miniatures or something. Cool to see the devs be more ambitious with this ones look

RootCause

That's pretty good. I loved the first one. One of the best games on mobile, and I'm planning on buying the PC version down the line.

I'm all in on this. Would love to see it get a retail release for the home consoles.

Wow, that is literally Faron Woods. I give up if you actually get to fly on giant birds.

Edit: and since ripping of one series isn't enough, his weapon looks exactly like the Monado.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

In the indie scene, you NEED exposure. The earlier you can get your name out there, the better off you are. It's an unfortunate truth in a sea of indie games, and advice commonly given by many people in the industry. Getting people to become aware of your game and get your name out there has a lot of power.

I wish them luck, but I really didn't like that first game. It had the Zelda look but fell well short once you actually started playing it. Right down to the basic feel of swinging your sword around; you'd hammer the button and the swings would come out unresponsive and weirdly inconsistent. It was like they'd somehow managed to bring the shittiness of touchscreen control over to a traditional controller.

FLD

Oh man, totally missed this announcement. This is pretty good timing, I just finished the first game a few days ago. It was nothing exceptional but it was pretty fun. Definitely on board for a sequel.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
When I saw that screenshot, I instantly thought of Faron Woods as it's depicted in Skyward Sword. Reminding people of other games isn't a bad thing, but as is, I don't see a unique visual identity. Too evocative of the source material, I think. Maybe it'll be a great game, but visually the similarity makes me think "cheap." Best of luck to the team, though! Perhaps the game will end up being a surprise.

Crazy Fins.

I don't mind it being a Zelda clone, but these games seem to try mimicking Zelda a bit too much.

That said, I'll probably give them a shot.

Top Bottom