• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For ARG enthusiasts/conspiracy believers - "BadSelfEater"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Man this all reminds me of, like, World of Darkness splatbook crap or Shadowrun junk. It's kinda cool in a really dumb kinda way

Capra

oh that looks very similar!

i wonder what's it trying to say... does hercules wrestling the nemean lion hold any kind of special message?

It's Albrecht Durer's woodcut of Samson rending the lion. I'm unfamiliar with the actual myth, but it seems to be in keeping with Mr. Teeth's established themes. From the Wikipedia article:

On his way to ask for her hand in marriage, Samson was attacked by a lion. He simply grabbed it and ripped it apart, the spirit of God divinely empowering him. However, Samson kept it a secret, not even mentioning the miracle to his parents.[7][11][12] He arrived at the Philistine's house and became betrothed to her. He returned home, then came back to Timnah some time later for the wedding. On his way, Samson saw that bees had nested in the carcass of the lion and made honey.[7][12] He ate a handful of the honey and gave some to his parents.[7]

At the wedding feast, Samson told a riddle to his thirty groomsmen (all Philistines). If they could solve it, he would give them thirty pieces of fine linen and garments, but if they could not solve it, they would give him thirty pieces of fine linen and garments.[6][7] The riddle was a veiled account of two encounters with the lion, at which only he was present:[7][12]

Out of the eater came something to eat.
Out of the strong came something sweet.

The last part seems particularly relevant, seeing as this whole thing has been set up as a series of riddles and Mr. Teeth seems to be making promises of rebirth and change from the destruction of the "Federalist Beast."

Two new posts on Facebook, 8hrs and 4hrs ago.

PnFFeMj.png

lBkM7Gw.png

I believe the second post is a reference to something in the WikiLeaks e-mail stuff.

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/14333 (at the bottom)

If all of this is to troll conspiracy nuts then they're doing a pretty good job.

Media

ARG's have always been niche.

AintNobodyGotTimeForThat.gif about solving puzzles that aren't Layton's for no prize.

I feel like they were a lot more popular a few years ago. I <3 Bees, Art of the Heist, Catching the Wish, and Last Call Poker all had pretty big fan bases considering the genre. Marble Hornets has its fans too, but I feel like that is more for the story than the ARG

It's Samson and the Lion.

It's Albrecht Durer's woodcut of Samson rending the lion. I'm unfamiliar with the actual myth, but it seems to be in keeping with Mr. Teeth's established themes. From the Wikipedia article:

The last part seems particularly relevant, seeing as this whole thing has been set up as a series of riddles and Mr. Teeth seems to be making promises of rebirth and change from the destruction of the "Federalist Beast."

oh yep

that fits 100%

thanks you two <3

Capra

It might have nothing to do with it, but by complete chance I found out earlier that the 21st letter of the Phoenician and Hebrew alphabets, Shin, has one possible meaning of "teeth." The number 21 is also the number attributed to The World in tarot (the 22 major arcana are linked to the Hebrew letters in some schools of thought), which the Beast Bills have also evoked through including depictions of The Hanged Man and, recently, the Reversed Hanged Man. As The World marks the end of a cycle and a revelation I have to wonder if there's a connection there in Mr. Teeth's apocalyptic declarations. These are honestly pretty tenuous connections, but I haven't seen much in the way of speculation about our hosts' choice of pseudonym so I thought it was worth mentioning.

In light of the wealth of dragon imagery, Teeth could also be a reference to the phrase "to sow dragon's teeth," meaning to incite discontent. It originates in Greek mythology where a dragon's teeth, once planted, could grow an army.

Alternatively, this could all be radical viral marketing for Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, in stores next week!

Niel

People on reddit are claiming that Hillary faked her illness to get to a bunker in preparation for when the countdown ends. I can't even.

Calderc

Has anyone put 2+2 together on the short snippet of the Gotthard Tunnel opening ceremony video? That thing was all kinds of fucked up but any connection with it just scream illuminati nonsense.

koji kabuto

Has anyone put 2+2 together on the short snippet of the Gotthard Tunnel opening ceremony video? That thing was all kinds of fucked up but any connection with it just scream illuminati nonsense.

The Gotthard Tunnel opening ceremony video was so freaking bizarre.

youtube has some one hour long video of the thing. wtf am I watching?

soultron

Banned
Isn't the MR ROBOT season 2 finale tomorrow night?

This really does stink of viral marketing because of the production values.

Plum

Surprised no-ones made an NX joke yet.

Well, shitty ARG or an actual countdown to the end I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Calderc

I wonder if they took down for effect or if it was Facebook?

Gonna go with effect, although the tin foil hat brigage are saying Facebook took it down as they're shitting it and part of the Elites.

Oh and Reddit now thinks the bills have been contaminated with Mad Cow Disease &#129300;

Plum

Curious to see these new Bills. This close they could be quite interesting. Really doubt it's anything though.

Duplolas

Banned
My brother found one of the legitimate bills 4 days ago.

Reading on the reddit that the bills could have some sort of hazardous biological agent on it is really freaking me out.

My brother found one of the legitimate bills 4 days ago.

Reading on the reddit that the bills could have some sort of hazardous biological agent on it is really freaking me out.

Look, if something looks like it's counting down to impending doom and has stupid Illuminati imagery all over it, I'm very, very certain that it's not really a threat. Real terrorists would not announce what they were going to do. Heck, if you wanted to distribute a disease via money you would just use real money and spray your stuff on it. Your brother is fine.

OK, today's activity kicked off with this photo posted to facebook.

It was accompanied by the words "If this page goes dark, some of you will know where to find me."

People quickly identified the location as the Calhoun College gate at Yale.

No-one's struck up a direct link to the themes of the project so far as far as I can tell but they do have some notable alumni including a foreign policy adviser to Hillary and Joe Biden.

Then, you guessed it, the Facebook went offline. That's all as far as I can tell. You're up to date.

(If you're playing along that this is a legit countdown to some sort of data dump/event then relevant info may be that WikiLeaks just released some new DNC e-mails not one hour ago https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/775812373269454848, you'll remember a previous FBook post referred to one of these e-mails and there's been WikiLeaks imagery all over this thing.)

Duplolas

Banned
Look, if something looks like it's counting down to impending doom and has stupid Illuminati imagery all over it, I'm very, very certain that it's not really a threat. Real terrorists would not announce what they were going to do. Heck, if you wanted to distribute a disease via money you would just use real money and spray your stuff on it. Your brother is fine.

I really hope so.

But the video that now pops up of them moving things around makes me worry as well. Like, what are they moving, and what is the significance of putting up a video of it?

Edit:

I will be in a Security and Risk Analysis class tomorrow when the countdown finishes. Oh boy.

Matty77

I have no clue what this could be and heavy chances are it's either

An art project
Viral Marketing
Tin foil hatters with money

Worst case scenario it's some homegrown terrorists but advertising would be dumb.

Some of the themes and posts along with the countdown make my fondest wish be that it's an elaborate attempt to change the world through Chaos Magic.

Plum

This would be the LEAST FUN outcome, but like we got what we deserve I guess.

Source?

How would one get malware off of Twitter and FB? If the images contain Malware would simply loading them up by going on this GAF page give you them?

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized that there's a website tied to all this. Thank god I haven't visited it on my main PC but I'm gonna do a deep clean of my brand new Android phone I visited it on just in case.

How would one get malware off of Twitter and FB? If the images contain Malware would simply loading them up by going on this GAF page give you them?

They have a website too (with the countdown). I saw some chatter about this malware stuff earlier and it seemed like a non-starter.

The nature of this thing is that people read too much into certain things, post it somewhere, someone else takes it and posts it elsewhere etc.

Usually definitive info rises above that and I've been trying to filter that stuff with these updates. The malware angle isn't that.

Don't worry, all the images I've posted in this thread are jpgs and also screenshots = nothing can happen.

soultron

Banned
This would be the LEAST FUN outcome, but like we got what we deserve I guess.

Source?

It's second hand but I work with someone who has infosec contacts and they're even starting to get paranoid. I know the connection seems tenuous at best, but this person's contacts are legit.

reckless

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized that there's a website tied to all this. Thank god I haven't visited it on my main PC but I'm gonna do a deep clean of my brand new Android phone I visited it on just in case.

All the website has is some pngs and an MP3.

Plum

They have a website too (with the countdown). I saw some chatter about this malware stuff earlier and it seemed like a non-starter.

The nature of this thing is that people read too much into certain things, post it somewhere, someone else takes it and posts it elsewhere etc.

Usually definitive info rises above that and I've been trying to filter that stuff with these updates. The malware angle isn't that.

Don't worry, all the images I've posted in this thread are jpgs and also screenshots = nothing can happen.

All the website has is some jpgs and an MP3.

Yeah it is probably nothing but I'm always paranoid af when it comes to potential Malware/viruses. Guess we'll see when the countdown ends. Thanks for not linking directly to the images though, that's a nice gesture Massive.

Plum

It's second hand but I work with someone who has infosec contacts and they're even starting to get paranoid. I know the connection seems tenuous at best, but this person's contacts are legit.

What does this mean? Is it time to panic?

soultron

Banned
I think it's more of a case that the IP has been associated with malware in the past. If you give it a thorough combing, finding a detail like that lends a bit more credibility towards being something "serious."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom