• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony London (PSVR, The Heist) has layoffs, including senior staff

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GamesIndustry.biz said:
Sony has confirmed to GamesIndustry.Biz that there will be job losses at its London Studio as the team's first VR projects draw to a close.

After hearing that some senior software staff had taken redundancy, followed by compulsory redundancy for team members, we contacted Sony for confirmation.
"London Studio have done a great job in leading the way in VR development, and as their first project nears completion it is time to plan for the next VR project. The team will take all their learnings and experience as they move forward, however in order to achieve its ambitious goals, the Studio will need to restructure around the needs of the new projects.

"Unfortunately, there will be a number of compulsory redundancies within the London Studio. We accept that this will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff whose projects have reached completion and where possible, we will try to reallocate people to new projects currently being nurtured.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...s-at-sony-london-as-first-vr-project-wraps-up

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Feels like a while since one of these threads... Know it's usual when projects end but its still shitty, hope people land on their feet.

Most studios don't operate like this anymore, which is part of why DLC exists (so the staff has something to do).

For example, you don't see Naughty Dog laying off their staff when Uncharted 4 ships.

Senior staff is also generally not let go, though it seems some opted into it. Temps aren't considered layoffs which is how you normally handle project scale-up and scale-down beyond the scope of DLC in modern times.

Feels like a while since one of these threads... Know it's usual when projects end but its still shitty, hope people land on their feet.
It's usual to lay off temp people or junior staff members if you don't have any more content to make and there's not enough room on other projects to move them to. I don't think letting senior staff go is ever usual

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So Sony makes a billion dollars every year from PS+ subs alone and cant spend a few million keeping redundant staff for a few months until they start production on the next title.

What a great company to work for.

Shin-chan

The uk game development industry is a joke. As a country we're definitely underachieving for the amount of talent I'm sure is present.

There needs to be more incentive for publishers (who are currently highly risk averse as is) to invest in more studios.

Edit: I suppose we have just missed the boat really. The industry as a whole is in a state of consolidation and has been for about a decade. Where places like Canada created great environments to set up studios when publishers were still splurging out the UK did the opposite.

Loudninja

Most studios don't operate like this anymore, which is part of why DLC exists (so the staff has something to do).

For example, you don't see Naughty Dog laying off their staff when Uncharted 4 ships.

Senior staff is also generally not let go, though it seems some opted into it. Temps aren't considered layoffs which is how you normally handle project scale-up and scale-down beyond the scope of DLC in modern times.
I think pretty much all Sony studios have been restructure now.

Calm Mind

So Sony makes a billion dollars every year from PS+ subs alone and cant spend a few million keeping redundant staff for a few months until they start production on the next title.

I love your brand of wide-eyed idealism.

Dabanton

It happens in most creative industries film, vfx and games. A few people do get kept on or moved to other productions, but you can't have whole teams sitting round doing nothing. Most people take a break for 1 or 2 months or move to another company.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Hahahaha, yusss. You tell em SS, you tell em real good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think pretty much all Sony studios have been restructure now.

I suspect it's a side effect of trying to switch from what AAA looked like in the PS3 era to how it looks now.

Sony had a lot of the uh, more traditional 8-12 hour linear experience type of game sitting around than most publishers still had going into this generation. There's also the whole issue with the racing genre in general.

Guerrilla Prime didn't have any layoffs, but they also moved on to making an open world WRPG with Ubi-mechanics they had been planning for a while.

Sony Santa Monica was relatively on target as well, but their idea didn't pan out.

Sony first party not doing great this gen.

Big Layoffs at SSM, sucker punch, London. And of course the closing of evolution.

I am kind of afraid for the future if Bend and Media Molecule and guerrilla.

Eolz

The uk game development industry is a joke. As a country we're definitely underachieving for the amount of talent I'm sure is present.

There needs to be more incentive for publishers (who are currently highly risk averse as is) to invest in more studios.

Edit: I suppose we have just missed the boat really. The industry as a whole is in a state of consolidation and has been for about a decade. Where places like Canada created great environments to set up studios when publishers were still splurging out the UK did the opposite.

It's better than what you think, just not as visible. It might get a bit worse once brexit really starts though.
But until then, look at Rockstar, Foundry 42, Playground games, TT, Codemasters, Team 17, Creative Assembly, Introversion, Rare, Media Molecule, Rocksteady, and many others... Some incredible talent there, and it's not as easy as tou think to have people getting there, even if your studio and project is attractive enough.

Loudninja

I suspect it's a side effect of trying to switch from what AAA looked like in the PS3 era to how it looks now.

Sony had a lot of the uh, more traditional 8-12 hour linear experience type of game sitting around than most publishers still had going into this generation. There's also the whole issue with the racing genre in general.

Guerrilla Prime didn't have any layoffs, but they also moved on to making an open world WRPG with Ubi-mechanics they had been planning for a while.

Sony Santa Monica was relatively on target as well, but their idea didn't pan out.
Yeah that sounds about right.

Sony London has not really release much these last few years

EyePet & Friends 2011 PlayStation 3
DanceStar Party Hits 2012 PlayStation 3
Wonderbook 2012 PlayStation 3
The Playroom 2013 PlayStation 4
SingStar: Ultimate Party[1] 2014 PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 3
PlayStation VR Worlds[2] 2016 PlayStation VR

MUnited83

For you.
What? Good lord...

You have a good vision of how finances work

You should run for president.

That's, uh, not how that works.

I love your brand of wide-eyed idealism.

evil capitalism huh
Eh, he isnt wrong. Sony has constantly treated several of their first party devs like absolutely shit this gen and seem to not have any confidence on them at all. They just give up and dont invest on growing them.

Uhm. I'm not sure that's how it works.

They are to blame for not having a project in the pipeline that they could move on to quickly, rather than laying them off though.

SlimySnake

lol omg could you guys quote me more?

Sony posted a $2.8 billion profit for their last fiscal year. Mostly thanks to their gaming division. I can understand cost cutting measures for their divisions losing money. I can understand layoffs for studios that dont sell enough games. What I dont understand is how you can run a business where you use people and discard them as soon as its finished BEFORE the game even ships and has a chance to make money.

Put yourself in their shoes. Those are real people who worked their asses off on the game and imagine how they feel.

This is not the first time Sony's shipped a game. They MUST know that there will be redundancies after a game is finished. They should have planned for it. Laying off folks to save a few million only to hire them back again a few months before launch is a disgusting practice. stop defending these shitty practices.

Wheatly

Sony posted a $2.8 billion profit for their last fiscal year. Mostly thanks to their gaming division. I can understand cost cutting measures for their divisions losing money. I can understand layoffs for studios that dont sell enough games. What I dont understand is how you can run a business where you use people and discard them as soon as its finished BEFORE the game even ships and has a chance to make money.

Put yourself in their shoes. Those are real people who worked their asses off on the game and imagine how they feel.

This is not the first time Sony's shipped a game. They MUST know that there will be redundancies after a game is finished. They should have planned for it. Laying off folks to save a few million only to hire them back again a few months before launch is a disgusting practice. stop defending these shitty practices.

But this isn't Sony, it's the video game or media industry,

People move on to different projects once their current one is finished, I don't see anything new here

RibMan

Question: If your employment in division C is directly affected by the financial performance of division A, what are the risks associated with running your business this way?

You're assuming a lot. i work for a company in a completely different industry that is laying thousands of people off even though they are making a profit. Business is fucked up but it's never as simple as you're making it seem

Shin-chan

It's better than what you think, just not as visible. It might get a bit worse once brexit really starts though.
But until then, look at Rockstar, Foundry 42, Playground games, TT, Codemasters, Team 17, Creative Assembly, Introversion, Rare, Media Molecule, Rocksteady, and many others... Some incredible talent there, and it's not as easy as tou think to have people getting there, even if your studio and project is attractive enough.
I had no idea Rocksteady was British. Thanks for the list. It's odd that it's almost mostly driving studios - what with that genre being in huge decline. I guess there's Crytek as well.

I still think we're underachieving for what we could be doing. Either way, I think it's clear why Sony would want to restructure London since it's essentially a tech demo studio now (unless these moves are an effort to get them onto something more traditional for VR).

A billion dollars is great for a company that just makes games and doesn't have to worry about their music, movies, and TV division.

Loudninja

I had no idea Rocksteady was British. Thanks for the list. It's odd that it's almost mostly driving studios - what with that genre being in huge decline. I guess there's Crytek as well.

I still think we're underachieving for what we could be doing. Either way, I think it's clear why Sony would want to restructure London since it's essentially a tech demo studio now (unless these moves are an effort to get them onto something more traditional for VR).
Yeah hope this works out for the studio and those who are layoff.

SlimySnake

You're assuming a lot. i work for a company in a completely different industry that is laying thousands of people off even though they are making a profit. Business is fucked up but it's never as simple as you're making it seem

Question: If your employment in division C is directly affected by the financial performance of division A, what are the risks associated with running your business this way?

But this isn't Sony, it's the video game or media industry,

People move on to different projects once their current one is finished, I don't see anything new here

Right. Sony isnt the only company doing it. but whenever kotaku runs these expose articles, we all air our frustration and call out publishers like EA and Activision who used to do this all the time.

Why is it that when i dared to criticize Sony everyone jumped down my throat.

It's a disgusting policy and every publisher needs to be criticized for it.

A billion dollars is great for a company that just makes games and doesn't have to worry about their music, movies, and TV division.

They are doing fine.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/28/sony...profit-as-its-turnaround-plan-takes-hold.html
Income before taxes for the year ending March 31 came in at 304.5 billion yen ($2.81 billion), a big rise from the 39.7 billion yen recorded during the same period last year. Operating profit rose 329.2 percent to 294.2 billion yen, its largest figure since fiscal 2007, according to Reuters.

Top Bottom