• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: A Year Since Its Release, Sony Seems to Have Abandoned PlayStation VR2

I use mine occasionally.

Waiting for PC support to see what gets cooked up.

So far, it's a neat toy, and the technology is undeniably cool, but until it becomes smaller, portable, and easier to use it won't be home to many AAA titles.

You’re forgetting the most important reason why it was doomed to always fail. It lacked a key feature to VR…

Cvk8B6EEPv3UvTiN6uhANZ925LY=.gif
I'm still looking for PCVR!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Tbh I still love mine, I game very little nowadays but when I do get the time I usually go straight to the PSVR2 as it's such a massive leap over traditional gaming being immersed inside a game instead of playing it on a 2D screen.

Recently been trying to get into Plagues Tale Requiem, I absolutely loved the first one and by all accounts this one is meant to be just as stellar and it looks great but when I play for longer than 20mins I just keep thinking about how much more "into" RE4 VR I am when playing it, so end up sticking it on and it's a whole other level..

Do I regret my purchase? Nah, I can afford to blow the occasional £££ on little niche shit that bring my joy, not like the kids are starving, but I do wish Sony would push it more or open it up for other "uses", I don't need specifically tailored VR experiences, just VR a load of 1st person games, remaster some VR1 games, something... But the worrying thing is obviously Sony have all the data and engagement numbers and are just not able to make the $$$ line up and stay in the black and as a business it's all about profit and it does appear that Sony are putting this thing on life support throwing out the occasional morsel.

Will I sell it? Hell naw, once I complete RE4, which btw is fucking incredible I intend to buy myself a wheel and peddle/racing chair and get stuck into GT7, I dabbled in it a few times back at the start with the joypad and it was insane in VR but I wanted that next level immersion with a wheel, so want to kill of my backlog of VR titles before settling into GT7.

Also with them opening it up to the PC market, means I'll probably bring my work laptop home and finally play some Half Life Alyx as well heavily modded Skyrim, so all in all, it may appear dead to a lot of people but for me there's still plenty of life in it

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Of course it's a gimmick. But a very good one!

Problem is that Sony almost instantly dropped the whole VR thing when it came out. There is 0 reason now to buy one. Unless you want to play GT7 with hellish ghosting or Call of the Mountain with shit controls.

I own a Quest 2 and LOVE it. I got games installed locally for the casual fun VR experience with friends or collegues.
BUT I can also use it to immerse myself in a virtual trackday or whatever I want when I hook it up to my PC.

Do I feel like a Rockstar? I fire up Unplugged (Quest)
Do I feel like a badass shooting enemies in the head to the beat? I fire up Pistol Whip (Quest)
Do I feel like a rocking Viking? I fire up RagnaRock (Quest)

Do I want to shoot people in the face like John Wick? I fire up HL: Alyx with Gunman mods (Steam)
Do I want to race online and feel fully immersed and hit the apex? I fire up Automobilista 2/ Assetto Corsa/ F1

The PSVR2 just doesnt have this level of versatility. Hell I can take the Quest outside if I need more space than my house can provide. Tether my phone for internet if needed and done.

Sony built a badly supported gem of a headset.

And it's a damn shame.

The tech is awesome, but the library...... Virtually non existant.

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF
Apart from games libraries, Quest 3 is highly overrated compared to PSVR2, imo.

Sony just needs to get more support for PSVR2.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don’t believe the near future potential market for VR is much larger than that of the console. Many folks like the ease of a console and not having to wear a headset for extended periods of time. This is the exact opinion of all of my friends and family who have tried my VR. Sure, VR market share will get bigger, but there’s no chance it gets a bigger market share than consoles any time soon, if ever. I’m referring to VR as we know it now of course. Who knows what VR will be 20-30 years from now.
Good points. But again: Meta Quest alone already sold 20 mill, like yesterday.. And tomorrow will be coming for sure.. AI processing and form factor (see the on-the-market "Beyond" headset) will most likely solve most issues within a decade. But it's of course hard to precisely predict, so..

Three

Got to love how the recent news has been turned into PSVR2's doom. They always said it would be supported by other developers, recently announced a big VR title at their state of play and announced that they're adding support for PC. Third party games continue to release, and that's abandoning? The weird thing is that you would never see this shit for other devices. Did Valve abandon Valve Index one month after release too with even worse support? Where are the first party games for it? The peripheral isn't discontinued, it still gets third party games/software that works with it and the device gets support. Why are people always trying to dance on the devices grave prematurely?

dano1

A Sheep
Until it’s wireless and as easy as putting on sunglasses it’s never going to go mainstream.
I’ve owned both Sony VR systems but I just don’t want to deal with the setup.

Three

Would you ask the same question in an Xbox thread?
If there was a "MS has abandoned xbox" due to say lionhead getting shut down or layoffs yes I would. I didn't even believe that sentiment when they released games third party. Much like PSVR2, It's just not part of their main strategy, that's all. London Studio wasn't working on a VR title to begin with anyway but a GaaS one. I just think not much has changed since it was announced. They said early on it would be supported mostly by third party and indies and those are still getting announced and releasing. Admittedly I did expect more hybrid support. This "no first party exclusives" talk is the case for most headsets like the Index yet you don't hear about "abandonment" by Valve. It's just strange sentiment and perception. Same with stuff like the steamdeck. Do people shit on it because it gets no first party "support" from valve? Not really. Third party games are releasing on PSVR2 at a steady pace and I'm hopeful that continues. That could stop but there isn't much to suggest it would. No news suggesting that. That's not to say Sony does a great job or didn't make dumb moves though, like no support for PSVR1 titles.

Last edited:

darthvargi

Set up? I've had both and yes the first was an absolute ballache but VR2 is a dream, grab a controller,slap the headset on and your in the game in no time
I've never been understood the friction argument. Obviously PSVR 2 is a single USB-C connection to the front but even the original PSVR, I just keep it hooked up so I pull the headset out of the box and I'm ready to go. I don't use the HDMI out to the TV due to me owning the first generation model without HDR support so I do have hit a single button on a HDMI switch but it's like 1 minute and I'm in.

For reference I have my PSVR 2, a USB hub with the original camera and PSVR wires, a PSVR 2 charging dock, pulse 3d dongle, and sometimes my racing rig all hooked to my PS5 phat without a problem. I'm not saying it's pretty but once it's setup, I don't even touch it again.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Unfortunately psvr2 was dead on release. They had a couple of games drop but peripheral is to niche to support the investment for the minimal return.

They should end its life by sending all purchasers the ability to use it on pc.

DaGwaphics

Got to love how the recent news has been turned into PSVR2's doom. They always said it would be supported by other developers, recently announced a big VR title at their state of play and announced that they're adding support for PC. Third party games continue to release, and that's abandoning? The weird thing is that you would never see this shit for other devices. Did Valve abandon Valve Index one month after release too with even worse support? Where are the first party games for it? The peripheral isn't discontinued, it still gets third party games/software that works with it and the device gets support. Why are people always trying to dance on the devices grave prematurely?

Nothing is "dooming" it so far, hopefully. There is some disappointment about Sony not backing it with in-house software more. Simply because the medium needs developers to jump first in order to get the player numbers up enough to truly support AAA projects. Sony seemed like the best chance to make that happen. Without someone biting the bullet on the dev costs front, VR will still be playing the waiting game 10 years from now.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The more I think about it, yah you guys are right. The only PSVR2 game I have for my PSVR2 at the moment is Gran Turismo 7.
Horizon COTM is too expensive, and they didn't sell it retail so I am not getting it. A year later and still not selling replacement controllers pretty much speaks for itself.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Honestly, looking at the first party output I would say sony did the same with the ps5.
A lot of PSVR2 fans say the same.

Flat gaming of course has infinitely more games to choose from but when it comes to AAA, PSVR2 did surprisingly well in it's first 12 months; Village, RE4, GT7, Horizon: COTM.

Then you have stuff like 7th Guest, No Man's Sky, Red Matter 2, Arizona Sunshine 2, FNAF: HW2, Walkabout Mini Golf, Synapse, Propagation: Paradise Hotel, Legendary Tales.

There are so many good games for the headset. I'd like to see Sony support it more too but I honestly didn't buy the thing with the mindset of playing Uncharted in VR. I wanted Resident Evil and indie titles.

What we need is Sony to figure out a way to allow the headset to be an extension of the camera. Like what PCVR does with mods. Imagine Helldivers 2 like that. A fully fledged VR mode would be dope but that's expensive and time consuming. Just allow us to simply be in the world like Moss or Astrobot. It would get people talking for sure. edit- Shit. Look at RE7, you play that game seated with a DS4 and it's still one of the best VR experiences around.

Last edited:

CGNoire

“Sony, Meta, Apple, and all of the other VR platforms will need to address how to keep people engaged,” Lee explained. “Whether that’s building unique experiences exclusive to the platform, creating new hardware, or making improvements to make experiences even more immersive."

......or and hear me out how about take some financial risk for once and develop and actual AAA experience for the platform. How about that?

Crayon

Uh, sure. It's not on fire but it's a viable set it you are in to VR in general. I was hoping for more of the hybrid games, and I feel like I payed a high price despite being happy with the purchase.

Truth is, VR software (be real, the graphics) is not at a level where people are ready to part with that 500-550. Quest is doing good but it's not like we're seeing an alyx or gran Turismo twice a year. These games aren't even on quest but 2-6 amazing AAA games over 7 years is not enough to sway people. They'll go for the more comprehensive system over competitors because why not? It runs the games fine. If VR software took advantage of more powerful systems, not only would more people be into it, but you'd see more health in PC VR and psvr.

As of now, psvr 2 feels like a : "yup. That's a VR set alright". But it doesn't feel dead or anything. The lack of the hybrid games that were hinted at is the one real disappointment. I chose those thing because I was hoping to get more gran Turismo and re8 grade stuff.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Uh, sure. It's not on fire but it's a viable set it you are in to VR in general. I was hoping for more of the hybrid games, and I feel like I payed a high price despite being happy with the purchase.

Truth is, VR software (be real, the graphics) is not at a level where people are ready to part with that 500-550. Quest is doing good but it's not like we're seeing an alyx or gran Turismo twice a year. These games aren't even on quest but 2-6 amazing AAA games over 7 years is not enough to sway people. They'll go for the more comprehensive system over competitors because why not? It runs the games t least fine. Is If VR software took advantage of more powerful systems, not only would more people be into it, but yould see more health in PC VR and psvr.

As of now, psvr 2 feels like a : "yup. That's a VR set alright". But it doesn't feel dead or anything. The lack of the hybrid games that were hinted at is the one real disappointment. I chose those thing because I was hoping to get more gran Turismo and re8 grade stuff.
Well said.

People saying PSVR2 at $500 is a good price for what it is. I agree it seems like it. Problem is the console crowd is more about being cost conscious. And having a VR set that costs as much or more than PS5 itself is a big no no. In Canada, it's $750. That's $100 more than PS5 at $650. $1400 total + taxes to play VR on console.

Ah yes, the same cost-conscious hardcore & core console gamers who spend hundreds to thousands a year on new games, controllers, and subscriptions.

U wot m8?

The price for PSVR2 has only been an issue because of a relative lack in content to drive value towards it at the asking price, particularly in terms of exclusive new VR and VR-enabled games. People acting like ports of PC and mobile VR games months/years-old would be big demand drivers must've forgot that strategy never worked for older add-ons like the 32X. If it didn't work in 1994, why would it work in 2023?

Sony and 3P (but mainly Sony) dropped the ball in terms of consistent new exclusive content to drive interest in PSVR2 given its price. That's why sales momentum (might have) stalled. The price is never an issue, if the value proposition can justify the price. That goes for console owners, too (them more than any other gamer type, TBH).

Last edited:
Making the platform more open to PC will help.

I don't think Sony needs PSVR2 to sell gang busters. They sell it at a profit, and

It's sad that they don't seem to focus big budgets to exclusive VR games but that's not a huge issue imho because VR is probably going to be developed through the indie scene anyways. VR is still a nascent technology that has a ways to go to become more mainstream, so as long as Sony continues to iterate each generation on their VR platform they can learn from their mistakes and make it better.

I don't need Sony AAA games on PSVR2 to make it worthwhile. I don't need it to sell amazingly to get great third party support. And that's where we are with the state of PSVR2.

OuterLimits

Sony releasing an amazing piece of hardware and then strangely pretending it doesn't even exist months later has unfortunately been a trend now for a decade. Obviously not including their main console.

Granted, Sony is struggling to even offer timely first party support this generation to their main console that has sold over 50 million, so it isn't surprising PSVR2 isn't getting much support. They just don't have the resources to do it.

I get what you're saying to be fair but, then again...did Valve need to make the Index PS5-compatible?

I think the optics of making what seems like an in-ecosystem peripheral meant to drive growth and adoption on a company's own hardware, suddenly work seamlessly on outer-ecosystem devices, will always signal an alarm of sorts. IIRC there were a lot of reasons given for PSVR2 initially only being PS5-compatible, such as driving VR market growth on PlayStation consoles and being synergetic to the console to drive more console sales.

Well, if they're making it PC-compatible this soon after launch, that might give less reason for VR users on PC to consider getting a PS5 for its VR offerings, and it's more likely that Sony port their 1P VR titles to PC in that instance vs. PC VR game makers having an additional incentive to port their games to PS5 for VR support on the console. That's a potential worry, I would say certainly from some on console with a headset.

If you're one of the people who bought a PS5 for PSVR2, expecting a wide range of multiplat and exclusive VR support on the platform, you might feel a bit jaded if they make the headset PC-compatible little after a year from release, not to mention potentially port what few exclusives it has over to PC, AND run a risk of PC VR devs having less incentive to port their games to PS5 since they can now leverage the headset's features on PC (not to mention, install base for PSVR2 owners on console may not be enough to justify the port).

That's why I think, if Sony are making it PC-compatible, they need to at least also enable a way for console owners to stream PC VR games with their headset. It'd be like a safety net in case the other stuff mentioned does in fact end up happening. Without that "safety net", Sony's going to alienate a portion of their most loyal and high-ARPU customers (who is buying a PSVR2 unless they're spending big on PS5 games, content & services in the first place?), kind of like how SEGA did with dropping 32X so soon after initial launch (that peripheral also had very few exclusives, majority multiplats and most of the multiplats barely leveraged its additional power over the 16-bit machines).

Making the platform more open to PC will help.

I don't think Sony needs PSVR2 to sell gang busters. They sell it at a profit, and

It's sad that they don't seem to focus big budgets to exclusive VR games but that's not a huge issue imho because VR is probably going to be developed through the indie scene anyways. VR is still a nascent technology that has a ways to go to become more mainstream, so as long as Sony continues to iterate each generation on their VR platform they can learn from their mistakes and make it better.

I don't need Sony AAA games on PSVR2 to make it worthwhile. I don't need it to sell amazingly to get great third party support. And that's where we are with the state of PSVR2.

For PSVR3, Sony need to do the following (IMO):

1: Scalable design that can be configured for "good enough" entry-level specs up to premium enthusiast-level specs, with BOMs and MSRPs to match​
2: Ensure at least cheapest model has a slim design profile​
3: Ensure the cheapest model is ~ PSVR1 in performance maybe slightly better in areas (1260p or 1440p lenses vs 1080p lenses for example)​
4: Ensure cheapest model has BOM no higher than $75 or so, MSRP no higher than $149​
5: Include the cheapest model with every PlayStation 6​

That's how you can ensure the technology becomes mainstream. A $299 Meta Quest sold 20 million in 2 years. Now imagine what a cheap PSVR3 headset half the price, and also included by default with every PS6, could do for rapidly growing VR acceptance. Especially with the PlayStation brand to its strength.

VR would quickly become ubiquitous. It's happened with previous PlayStation consoles for CD and DVD. Happened with N64 for the analog stick. Happened with Xbox for Xbox Live. Now it's time for it to happen again for VR, and Sony have the best chance to do it (IMHO).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ah yes, the same cost-conscious hardcore & core console gamers who spend hundreds to thousands a year on new games, controllers, and subscriptions.

U wot m8?

The price for PSVR2 has only been an issue because of a relative lack in content to drive value towards it at the asking price, particularly in terms of exclusive new VR and VR-enabled games. People acting like ports of PC and mobile VR games months/years-old would be big demand drivers must've forgot that strategy never worked for older add-ons like the 32X. If it didn't work in 1994, why would it work in 2023?

Sony and 3P (but mainly Sony) dropped the ball in terms of consistent new exclusive content to drive interest in PSVR2 given its price. That's why sales momentum (might have) stalled. The price is never an issue, if the value proposition can justify the price. That goes for console owners, too (them more than any other gamer type, TBH).
Not everyone buys tons of controllers, and not every console game even has a sub plan. Going by Sony and MS sub count, only about half of gamers even sign up.

Console gaming is an easy to use game system that gets the job done and also the kind of thing that is big in Xmas and birthday gifts. And something that is priced like a console can work. But when you start inching up $100 here $100 there etc... and then tr to add on PSVR 2 which costs more than the console itself, it'll be a brick wall of sales. Thats why consoles sell so many at Xmas.

No different than PSVR 1. I think that system didnt even cost more than PS4. I think it was the same price. And that thing only sold about 5M units across 120 PS4s. And PSVR 1 was cheaper than PSVR 2 as well.

PC VR sales are way more sinc you got a range of prices, more and better games, and the PC crowd isnt cost conscious like a console gamer. You got console gamers getting made at $100 increases, so a VR set is even worse. If console gamers were willing to amp on specs, VR and price is no object, youd get uber consoles and VR sets for $1000 each.

Your view on price is totally wrong because pricing acceptance is heavily dependent on the targeted audience. You can find a shit pan at a dollar store for $5. At Williams Sonoma a pan can be $200. Even if that same pan was only $100 at a the dollar store, it would sell like crap even though on the surface it looks like a bargain where Williams Sonoma still has it for $200. But the product will sell fine at WS because that audience is willing to pay more.

Last edited:

Sybrix

Their glorified dust collectors.

I bought a PSVR, used it for about a month then gave it away.

It's a cool novelty initially but that wares out very quickly.

The problem is the software is no where near decent enough to support it.

Last edited:
Not everyone buys tons of controllers, and not every console game even has a sub plan. Going by Sony and MS sub count, only about half of gamers even sign up.

I'm talking about the hardcore and core enthusiasts though, who typically do buy lots of controllers, multiple consoles (for different areas of their home and other family members), subscriptions (for the convenience), and other peripherals (steering wheels if they're into racing games, arcade sticks for fighting games, the more recent Pulse headsets and earbuds just to name a few).

You're thinking more of the casual and mainstream types because they have less reason to, for example, sub to a gaming service when they might only buy 1-2 games a year or just play F2P games. Or they do sub, but only for a month or two then dropping off (contributing to high churn rates).

Console gaming is an easy to use game system that gets the job done and also the kind of thing that is big in Xmas and birthday gifts. And something that is priced like a console can work. But when you start inching up $100 here $100 there etc... and then tr to add on PSVR 2 which costs more than the console itself, it'll be a brick wall of sales. Thats why consoles sell so many at Xmas.

I'm not completely in disagreement of this, most of it is true. But the areas where the prices creep up are usually in places the larger casual & mainstream audience aren't doing their spending. I'd also argue those customers have gotten used to the higher prices over time because electronics in general are more important to their lifestyle than they were back in the '90s or early '00s.

That's why I believe in stuff like $399 is the new $299, for example.

No different than PSVR 1. I think that system didnt even cost more than PS4. I think it was the same price. And that thing only sold about 5M units across 120 PS4s. And PSVR 1 was cheaper than PSVR 2 as well.

It's less about how many units it sold and more about if the people who bought the unit felt like they got their investment's worth out of it. Perhaps many didn't and that could explain slower adoption for PSVR2 on PS5 if that's true. Perhaps they did but then things like no BC for PSVR1 on PSVR2 turned them off from buying the first year.

Doesn't mean they won't buy one a bit later on; it's not like all 5 million PSVR1s sold in the first year or even first two years. Also for an optional peripheral, 5 million is not a number to scoff at regardless the potential install base. Up until the Quest 2, PSVR1 was the highest-selling VR headset on the market. I think the success of rare mainstream peripherals like the Kinect and Wii Fit board have made people forget those are exceptions, not the rule.

PC VR sales are way more sinc you got a range of prices, more and better games, and the PC crowd isnt cost conscious like a console gamer. You got console gamers getting made at $100 increases, so a VR set is even worse. If console gamers were willing to amp on specs, VR and price is no object, youd get uber consoles and VR sets for $1000 each.

PC VR sales for headsets are also better because you have a crap ton more companies making headsets. So even if a single company's headset is only doing 100K max, when you have 20 or so making headsets of comparable or better sales, then that begins to add up.

VR game sales on PC are probably better, in large part because there are simply more VR games on PC. The typical selling rate of a PC VR game is very low compared to non-VR games, but when you have 5x, 10x as many games to offer than something like PSVR2, the sales can add up.

As for gamers being price-conscious...I think you are conflating hardcore console gamers with casuals too much. Trust me, the hardcore and even a lot of core gamers do not mind paying higher prices for more performant consoles. The reason you don't see companies like Sony go that far is because they also need to ensure what console they design can scale down in costs sensibly to net in the actual price-conscious mainstream and casual gamers who tend to buy in later on the lifecycle.

There's no point designing a $1000 PS6 if you can only cost-reduce it to $600 after several years, because that still shuts out the larger market of casual and mainstream gamers. But hardcore and core enthusiasts? They'd eat that up, especially hardcore gamers. There's just a lot less of them number-wise than the casual and mainstream ones, hence why you won't get $1000 uber-powerful PS6s (at least not without taking a very modular approach where you buy extra components to beef up performance).

Your view on price is totally wrong because pricing acceptance is heavily dependent on the targeted audience. You can find a shit pan at a dollar store for $5. At Williams Sonoma a pan can be $200. Even if that same pan was only $100 at a the dollar store, it would sell like crap even though on the surface it looks like a bargain where Williams Sonoma still has it for $200. But the product will sell fine at WS because that audience is willing to pay more.

Incidentally, you just kind of supported the point I made right above this part o.0. Yes you're right that pricing acceptance depends on target audience, but you also have to understand target audience is multi-faceted. Of the PS5 owners who do have a PSVR2, I'd bet at least 75% of them are among hardcore and core enthusiasts, because they're the least price-conscious. Virtually all of the high-ARPU customers (who are not price-conscious at all, so long as the quality is perceived to be there) are among those hardcore & core enthusiasts.

Do you honestly think 75% of all PS5s sold belong to hardcore & core enthusiasts? No. I'd say right now the split's probably closer to 60/40 in favor of hardcore/core or at best 65/45. Over time that percentage will continue to shift in favor of casual and mainstream owners. But the most potent buying power is still with the hardcore & core enthusiasts no matter what.

Still, the product's offering and quality has to be perceived as worth it to even those types, before they spend the money. If PSVR2 sales are slower than anticipated, it's most likely because Sony isn't doing a good job imparting that quality and value for it to hardcore & core enthusiast PS5 owners. That doesn't mean those customers are price-conscious; it just means they're smart with their money and want their investment to be worth the asking price.

Sushi_Combo

Sony releasing an amazing piece of hardware and then strangely pretending it doesn't even exist months later has unfortunately been a trend now for a decade. Obviously not including their main console.

Granted, Sony is struggling to even offer timely first party support this generation to their main console that has sold over 50 million, so it isn't surprising PSVR2 isn't getting much support. They just don't have the resources to do it.
This unfortunately has been their trend for more than a decade. They seem to have great tech but don't know how to market it.

The kit is way too nice for something that wasn't supported on PC at the start. I barely even use my Quest 2 but most of the best shit is PC only.
I have a Rift S, and hardly ever pick it up anymore. In fact, every friend I know who has a VR set doesn't use it. I'm not sure what it is, but the novelty wore off fast. I absolutely love beat saber and played it a lot, along with Half Life Alyx, but just have no desire at all to play VR games anymore. Weird.

• Empathy
Reactions: AV

Vyse

Gold Member
I had it pre ordered, never had VR before, but canceled and ended up getting Quest 3. VR is super cool and I dip in for short periods at a time. Don’t see this replacing as my platform of choice.

Sad to hear not much support. Would love to see what craziness the Nintendo developers are working on behind the scenes. Ten years from now could be a totally different story.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I've said it before, PSVR seems like someone high up at Sony's pet project, the only reason it keeps getting the green light. If they can afford to focus on this, certainly they can afford to focus on a true handheld.....which begs the question as to why they would go the route of PSVR vs handheld, zero doubt that a handheld would sell far better than psvr and be way easier to port to.

I've said it before, PSVR seems like someone high up at Sony's pet project, the only reason it keeps getting the green light. If they can afford to focus on this, certainly they can afford to focus on a true handheld.....which begs the question as to why they would go the route of PSVR vs handheld, zero doubt that a handheld would sell far better than psvr and be way easier to port to.

They can do both.

John Wick

Sony literally has to fire 900 people and close a studio because the industry isn't doing well..

Ign: SoNy haZ GiVen UP oN Vr2 durrr...

No shit ign... they clearly can't have any expenses right now that aren't absolutely vital to the business.

I love vr but in their position they clearly have to axe the product if they want to stay in the game.
Err no!
This is typical Sony. They did the same with Vita. They are ill prepared to make top games for PSVR2. This begs the question why release it in the first place if your going to abandon it???
Why waste all that money for this result???

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They can't support one of those platforms and their main console never mind PSVR2 and a handheld. Any company can release a good hardware product. Supporting it with great software over the years is the problem. Sony just can't do it.

Vr is more difficult as they have to retool or create entire seperate games.

Where as a portable would take very little effort to create a downscaled port of games as they are released. Day and date with ps5 would be pretty easy, no need to create a seperate ecosystem with seperate games.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Err no!
This is typical Sony. They did the same with Vita. They are ill prepared to make top games for PSVR2. This begs the question why release it in the first place if your going to abandon it???
Why waste all that money for this result???
No one is giving up on PSVR2 though. There are new games releasing on a weekly basis.

AAA games aren't releasing on any headset on a regular basis and the one with the strongest track record so far is arguably PSVR2 considering what we got in it's first 12 months.

It's a lazy opinion piece from IGN.

Last edited:

John Wick

No one is giving up on PSVR2 though. There are new games releasing on a weekly basis.

AAA games aren't releasing on any headset on a regular basis and the one with the strongest track record so far is arguably PSVR2 considering what we got in it's first 12 months.

It's a lazy opinion piece from IGN.
Lmfao! You need compelling software to sell PSVR2. Not indie shovelware.
Which again points to the fact that it's Sony's duty to provide AAA games for PSVR2. It's no good claiming no headset is regularly getting AAA games. Maybe Sony should have thought about this before diving in?

John Wick

Vr is more difficult as they have to retool or create entire seperate games.

Where as a portable would take very little effort to create a downscaled port of games as they are released. Day and date with ps5 would be pretty easy, no need to create a seperate ecosystem with seperate games.
So how much is this handheld going to cost that can run downscaled PS5 games? Anything over £300 is dead in the water.
Again you need compelling software to sell a dedicated handheld and not just ports.
Sony don't have the type of games that sell handhelds like Nintendo do.

Top Bottom