• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: A Portal Movie Announcement Is Coming Soon

Nzyme32

Video of Interview

IGN Article

J.J. Abrams has confirmed the Portal and Half Life movies are still in development, and we can expect a Portal announcement "fairly soon".

Speaking to IGN on the Westworld red carpet (Abrams produces the HBO show), the filmmaker said both films were "still very much in development".

"We have a meeting coming up next week with Valve, we’re very active, I’m hoping that there will be a Portal announcement fairly soon", said Abrams.

When we asked if the movies would follow on from the story-lines that already exist in the games, Abrams kept his cards close to his chest.

"We are having some really interesting discussions with writers, many of whom...once you said you’re doing a movie or show about a specific thing that is a known quantity you start to find people who are rabid about these things. As someone who loves playing Half Life and Portal, what’s the movie of this, it’s incredible when you talk to someone who just ‘gets’ it, it’s like, oh my god, it’s really the seed for this incredible tree you’re growing."

Movies based on the Valve games were announced during DICE 2013, but there hasn't been information on the projects since.

I assume now that Dan Trachtenberg is in the Bad Robot family he's probably directing, right? His Portal short was the thing that got him hired for 10 Cloverfield Lane after all.

Strax

I assume now that Dan Trachtenberg is in the Bad Robot family he's probably directing, right? His Portal short was the thing that got him hired for 10 Cloverfield Lane after all.

Yeah, I hope so. Dude can direct and its good story. To make a short fan film so impressive that it gets you into the biz and later direct a feature based on the fan film material.

Nzyme32

That isn't the game by the way, at least not as was previously described.

JJ should direct a Metroid movie.

A Metroid movie would be dope if it had real care taken to it. Has as much potential as any HL or Portal movie I think

Adapting a game that tells its story mostly through the environment and an AI quips to a movie will be interesting. I'm curious to see how they do this.

From their talk discussing exactly this kind of issue, I'm curious what they will do. It's clear they know it is a big issue

kiguel182

Adapting a game that tells its story mostly through the environment and an AI quips to a movie will be interesting. I'm curious to see how they do this.

orava

Dudes the savior of SciFi. Holder of the torch.

JJ Abrams is a tool. And by that i mean he's an excellent tool for other scifi authors and film makers to use for fleshing out their stories and universes. Abrams excels at bringing out the details and making the things look and feel right.

Harmen

If a Half-Life film really happens, I genuinely believe HL3 or at least reboot/remake will happen. And if JJ does Portal and/or HL, I believe we will finally have a good and successfull videogame film.

Machina

Banned
Valve are nothing if not shrewd businesspeople, so if this is actually a full fledged movie and not some b grade web series, Valve may consider blowing up the hype train by releasing Half Life 3 as a coincide.

Stoze

You guys remember back 9 years ago when they put that LOST easter egg in Half-Life 2 EP2? Heck I even forgot about the Super 8 teaser in Portal 2.

Hektor

I wonder if a portal movie would be more of a lighthearted tale for the entire family mostly about the goofy robots and turrets or of it would be like the games with some dark backgrounds.

Half life movie ain't happening tho

Why not "The Last of Us"? Do that first!

I suppose he prefers to make something new and original within the medium of movies right now

Henkka

Banned
Portal could make for a fun one-off movie. I just hope they're not trying to build a cinematic universe or something.

Nzyme32

It's Valve 2016. I'll believe it's a real-life thing that exists when I see it.

There is nothing to believe about it - the only word of it is in the talk from 2013 and that's it - might not even exist at all. The TF2 thing is a game mode.

That could actually be interesting.

My initial reaction is "I might watch that" (rather than "eww" for most game -> movie adaptations).

The real draw for me is that they are clearly very cognisant of the issues of game / movie story telling, which leaves me a little hopeful this could be something different

Durante

That could actually be interesting.

My initial reaction is "I might watch that" (rather than "eww" for most game -> movie adaptations).

Top Bottom