• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams: A Portal Movie Announcement Is Coming Soon

Menitta

Well I don't care for Portal much so therefore I am not worried about this be screwed up. The flash from the portal guns and no resting period doesn't seem like it would be good elements for a Portal movie.

How so?

nexusae0_port2.gif

Also, JJ Abrams lens flare.

liquidtmd

Banned
Twist: the companion cube is recast as a 5ft 11inch quicksmart grizzled chilsed studmuffin called Brad, doesn't die and they make out at the end.

Quirah

It's funny how lots of people thinking about Portal's gameplay and matching it with the movie. Portal had amazing story and literally the best villain character in entire video games. I can see why J.J. picked Portal instead of Half-Life as a starting brand in Valve's deal.

It's funny how lots of people thinking about Portal's gameplay and matching it with the movie. Portal had amazing story and literally the best villain character in entire video games. I can see why J.J. picked Portal instead of Half-Life as a starting brand in Valve's deal.

Well yeah, it is kind of in the name. In the first game there is barely any story or characters anyway. In the second game there are more characters and story, but the story is not really amazing. It worked great for a game, and the characters were great, but I don't see a similar story working for a movie.

Richie

It'll be the exact same game we know unchanged on the big screen, but moviegoers will have the option to sit or stand all through the movie.

Agreed, in fact Portal is probably the game that would work the most as a movie adaptation. The setting is terrific, the villain is incredible and even the portal mechanic could lead into some intense dramatic bits. Plus, the whole thing could be condensed into a 2 hours tops piece of entertainment without losing a step.

Fuchsdh

Actually Myst has a lot of backstory. The Original film was going to be based on the Myst novel The Book of Ti'ana. There were quite a few issues that ended up getting it canned including drama between the small team developing it. There's still the Hulu TV series that was announced over a year ago. There's been no new news of that at all.

This is a completely different situation. If Valve OKs at least one of the films it's going to be made. Bad Robot is a wildly successful production company. It and J.J. Abrams' names carry a lot of weight. I'm not quite sure what the content would be. Portal has all that history unveiled in Portal 2, but I think both would most likely be very different from the source material. I'm thinking they would do something very different while keeping the spirit and general story arc of each property to some degree. I think I remember Gabe Newell saying something similar in a very old interview about the subject.

Oh, I know Myst has plenty of backstory, but that's all backstory. You could make Riven into a terrific film (or hell, just stick Myst and Riven together for one film) but Myst the game itself doesn't have much going for it, and The Book of Ti'ana honestly doesn't have anything to do with Myst.

The TV series is apparently still progressing, as Rand Miller was saying during the Obduction press junkets that it's in development still. Maybe it'll come out before that Halo TV series that's still in production...

Surfinn

As a longtime HL fan, I really hope Gordon is absent from the film. The story could follow Alyx and some resistance troops or something.. but including Gordon is completely fucking with the immersion that makes the games tick. I can't think of a single acceptable reason for it.

And fucking lol if a HL film releases before another HL game.

I mean, we're certainly not going to have a HL game this decade (if ever), so there's a chance the movie will be out before that.

Surfinn

I mean, we're certainly not going to have a HL game this decade (if ever), so there's a chance the movie will be out before that.

Absolutely wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They've shown they don't give two shits about their fans/communication, even if they ARE somehow still working on a game.

It's gunna be 10 years since EP2 next year.. a fucking DECADE without official communication.

Maniac

Banned
Man there must have been at least a hundred games with a Lost easter egg in them.

Abrams dun put Half Life easter eggs in several of his thangs. Aswell as Portal ones recently-ish iirc.

Gman was in one of the very first episodes of Lost :3 (Mighta been the first? Don't recall)

Surfinn

Abrams dun put Half Life easter eggs in several of his thangs. Aswell as Portal ones recently-ish iirc.

Gman was in one of the very first episodes of Lost :3 (Mighta been the first? Don't recall)
Is there a link to that? HL2 came out after the first few episodes of Lost.

EDIT: Oh, HL1.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can imagine a Portal movie FAR more easily than a Half-Life one.

Really? I can easily imagine a Half Life movie, it's just a pretty straight forward "science gone wrong" story. I guess I could say I'm more interested in a Portal movie simply because I have no idea what to expect. A dark comedy, probaby?
I'm curious what this'll turn out to be though.

Surfinn

Really? I can easily imagine a Half Life movie, it's just a pretty straight forward "science gone wrong" story. I guess I could say I'm more interested in a Portal movie simply because I have no idea what to expect. A dark comedy, probaby?
I'm curious what this'll turn out to be though.

Yeah really. The entire point of HL and what makes it work is the perception of BEING Gordon Freeman. You don't ever see him because you are his point of view; this works well as a FPS because you're advancing the story by controlling him. How would that be handled in a film? It's just a first person perspective and everyone just answers all the questions they ask you themselves?

That would be bizarre. The other alternative is Gordon being cast, which would be the corniest/most tryhard fan fic of all time. It's already been attempted multiple times over the years and always fails hard.

Or you never show Gordon but reference him (ie cast other characters who already exist in the universe/introduce new characters).

Whatever way it happens it's underwhelming. I just don't see it.

Top Bottom