• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus working on standalone (ie PC-less) VR headset

Just announced at Oculus Connect 3. They're positioning it as the mid-tier between phone and PC VR. It should have full positional tracking. Only in prototype right now.

k4ZXkhJ.jpg

BE2yyRM.jpg

EDIT:

UploadVR had a hands on with the prototype which is codenamed "Santa Cruz":

UploadVR said:
No photos or videos were allowed for the demo, and it was a brief hands-on. The device looked and felt much like an Oculus Rift. Demo providers declined to say whether the demo ran at 60, 75 or 90 frames per second, nor did they reveal the resolution of the headset. Inside the headset, I walked from one end of the room to another and back again, jumped and crouched, and the self-contained unit didn’t lose tracking. The headset displayed a sparse environment with no clear interactivity available beyond the ability to move freely around the room. The headset featured four cameras on the front face, two pointed toward the ceiling and two more pointed toward the floor.

When I approached a wall a blue grid line came up warning me of my proximity. Tracking did have one small hiccup when I reached a corner of the room and turned quickly, but otherwise tracking was really solid and I felt no discomfort quickly taking several steps across the room. Overall, the experience felt more like a Rift that went wireless rather than a Gear VR that gained position tracking.

LewieP

Given their attempts to lock down an open platform, I can only imagine how locked down a platform they build themselves would be.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Interesting news. Any idea of price?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder how mid-tier this will be. Logic says that for what they try this will be powered by mobile tech of the near future.

Tain

Might want to mention that they made positional tracking a big deal for this.

The idea of a standalone headset with positional tracking is pretty cool. I mean, a wireless headset with positional tracking and accurate motion controllers is kind of the holy grail, isn't it? Or at least a pretty good milestone.

Durante

I wonder how mid-tier this will be. Logic says that for what they try this will be powered by mobile tech of the near future.
Yeah, I don't really see much of a point to this.

On the other hand, a fully proprietary hardware platform seems more in line with Oculus' overall ambitions than trying to shoehorn their own closed ecosystem on PC.

Emanuele

Neo Member
As long as they solve the mobile positional thing (which they will - I guess using an inside-out camera/IR barebones tracking system to guesstimate a floor and use it as tracking space) I'll be very, very intrigued.
And I'm pretty convinced it'll have positional since it'll retail at 1k+ imo..
I have to catchup on the OC3!

EDIT: Just seen the video. They indeed have positional in. I'm impressed and interested.

spekkeh

Banned
I don't really know who this is for, seems too limited. I think it makes sense for them to focus on the mid range market. That is, the original Rift CV1 priced itself out of the market for being a lower functionality closed ecosystem version of Vive at exactly the same price (when you include motion controllers). But a standalone version would cost similar or more to a Galaxy S8 + Gear VR, i.e. still $1000+. Which doesn't put it in a consumer bracket. Is it wireless? I guess it's aimed at businesses?

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, I don't really see much of a point to this.

This is where VR will ultimately go - wired (or even wireless) VR from a clunky computer in your room will only ever be for the cutting edge. Most would agree that mobile VR has a higher ceiling for mass adoption than really any other type of solution, and the ease of use is a big reason why. These are the natural evolution of mobile VR, I feel. Not everyone wants to be bound by their phone to VR. Phone adoption is slowing down, people aren't updating their smart phones as quickly anymore. There comes situations like my own - I jumped in on a Note 4 for GearVR, but I really don't want another Galaxy S phone going forward. But I still really want to jump into mobile VR. I see these stand alone headsets being sort of an all-in-one sister solution to phone VR. Same economy, in other words, just in a packagable, digestable all-in-one headset.

This is how nvidia will enter VR, as well. And I bet apple will enter VR with a device like this, too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just don't see the point of mid-tier... $700 phones are already filling this niche...

The point seems to be positional tracking. But if this barrier will be overcome for the mobile VR in the future then there would be really no point.

Somnid

This is what I want and I think what the market really needs. Tethered PC VR is expensive and complicated with people building up audiophile-grade tech fetishism, mobile VR is a neat experiment but feels very tacked on and not a first-class platform. A mid-tier that enhances the usability is important, the tech specs are going to be far less important, especially given the type of projects people are making for VR.

Krejlooc

Banned
Re: Price

It'll come down in time. Just like how, within a year, OSVR HDK2 will match the rift at 2/3 the cost, there will be other all-in-one headsets that will best this in price shortly enough. Daydream becomes a much more intriguing product if competitive devices like this come out running Android N at cheaper prices.

VR devs definitely want another weaker platform to design for.

But honestly, not that surprised. Nobody wants tethers; this is where it's going. (Well, not counting AR.) Even the first HoloLens devkit gets a lot of the way there, while being relatively lightweight.

Durante

This is where VR will ultimately go [...]
Ultimately, sure. Right now, or in the near future? I don't think the tech is there to make the experience sufficiently better from phone VR to be worth it.

Really good positional tracking could be a selling point though.

Nags

Banned
"In 2017: Enter a virtual world free from phones, PCs, and minorities.

Oculus"

Because Palmer is the only person working at the company and surely represents all those people right? He is the voice of the oculus social and political beliefs right? What a fucking terrible post. You should be ashamed.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I don't want this iteration or anything to do with Oculus for that matter. That being said, the 4th or 5th generation of these "PC-less" standalone units miiiight be worth my time. We are not there yet horsepower or rendering(foveat)/tech wise imo.

kinggroin

Banned
It would be bad ass to have tracking without cameras or lighthouses, so you could potentially walk large expanses within the game world, given the irl space

Because Palmer is the only person working at the company and surely represents all those people and their social and political beliefs right? What a fucking terrible post. You should be ashamed.

Palmer is the face of the company, and they stood by him.

When the leader of something is a shithead, it kind of reflects poorly on the whole operation.

I'm sure the vast majority of the cast and crew of Birth of a Nation are wonderful people, but I won't see a film directed by a rapist. Just like I won't buy a tech-product from a company headed-up by a white supremacist.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It would be bad ass to have tracking without cameras or lighthouses, so you could potentially walk large expanses within the game world, given the irl space
That is the goal and will ultimately become reality in the not so distant future.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ultiamtely, sure. Right now, or in the near future? I don't think the tech is there to make the experience sufficiently better from phone VR to be worth it.

Really good positional tracking could be a selling point though.

Right now, every design consideration in phone VR must also have practicality for the phone-using segment of the population. The needs of the phone-using segment of the population aren't always the same needs as the segment of the population that wants to use the same tech for VR. Phone VR is limiting by form factor - an enormous problem with GearVR is that it overheats because you can't have a fan on the SOC GPU core. That means you have to run it cold. A headset like this can actually place a fan on that GPU, getting some better performance from equivalent hardware. They could also better custom tailor the screen for VR to reduce SDE.

But despite that, this shouldn't really be seen as different from the current phone tech. Look at it more as an all-in-one package for the current phone tech, being best used for VR. Where it'll get really interesting is when Daydream headsets like this come out. Android VR is much more attractive to me than Oculus VR.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Re: Price

It'll come down in time. Just like how, within a year, OSVR HDK2 will match the rift at 2/3 the cost, there will be other all-in-one headsets that will best this in price shortly enough. Daydream becomes a much more intriguing product if competitive devices like this come out running Android N at cheaper prices.

There is a bit of a contradiction between your two hypothesis. Either the mobile market will slow down so much that this will become a much viable alternative to the mobile VR, but that means also that the good mobile tech (that this needs in order not to make your head a Note 7) will be either expensive (because of smaller production for the main target - smartphones) or not evolving at a great pace. Or mobile tech will be better and evolve at a high pace and at competitive prices and the mobile VR will be the main competitor for this having the advantage that you don't have to pay again for part of the tech inside, which is already in your phone.

Hale-XF11

I'm sure this is what all the major VR headset makers are aiming for, so I'll look forward to what HTC, Sony and others have in store.

hesido

If it can match PS4 specs, it would be wonderful for devs to target, but I don't think that performance can be achieved on mobile in 5 years.

Unless they come up with some Nicholas Tesla shit that don't give you cancer and give wireless power from a stationary unit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Right now, every design consideration in phone VR must also have practicality for the phone-using segment of the population. The needs of the phone-using segment of the population aren't always the same needs as the segment of the population that wants to use the same tech for VR. Phone VR is limiting by form factor - an enormous problem with GearVR is that it overheats because you can't have a fan on the SOC GPU core. That means you have to run it cold. A headset like this can actually place a fan on that GPU, getting some better performance from equivalent hardware. They could also better custom tailor the screen for VR to reduce SDE.

But despite that, this shouldn't really be seen as different from the current phone tech. Look at it more as an all-in-one package for the current phone tech, being best used for VR. Where it'll get really interesting is when Daydream headsets like this come out. Android VR is much more attractive to me than Oculus VR.

Having a fan and active cooling in the HMD sounds wonderful in terms of comfort. At least for the next 4-5 years.

Top Bottom