• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus working on standalone (ie PC-less) VR headset

Durante

Though, is there the possibility for the Vive to just go wireless in the future? Or is it not possible due to latency? That would be nice, to just use the headset as a display and do all the computations elsewhere.
Within the confines of a room it seems theoretically feasible in terms of bandwidth and latency with state-of-the-art wireless tech - not exactly as fast as with a cable, but maybe good enough. I think there are practical issues with that regarding e.g. energy supply, but let's see what comes up.

Is that what this thread is about? He isn't at the gigantic Oculus event, clearly he doesn't represent the company at all. A company that spent $10 million on a diversity VR program, but that doesn't get talked about. Yes he should be removed but we don't know why he hasn't, could be legal reasons, who knows. But clearly no one at oculus shares his beliefs.

Its still a thread about Oculus and Oculus stands to that racist asshole so it has its place here.

We shouldnt ignore and put it under the rug like they want.

Seems like it would be neat if you could have a couple lighthouses and then this type of wireless headset for walking around.

Though, is there the possibility for the Vive to just go wireless in the future? Or is it not possible due to latency? That would be nice, to just use the headset as a display and do all the computations elsewhere.

It's definitely a possibility, though how close we are is kind of up in the air. People have shown prototypes working (with modified versions of the Vive), so we're not that far off, but it's not quite ready for consumers just yet. Not to mention, once the specs of the headsets go up (screen resolution, FoV, etc), the demands for that wireless signal will go up. Michael Abrash just talked about this at the conference and mentioned foveated rendering would be a must to counteract that, but that brings a whole other set of engineering issues.

Its still a thread about Oculus and Oculus stands to that racist asshole so it has its place here.

We shouldnt ignore and put it under the rug like they want.

We had a giant thread on it so who is ignoring it? I guess Oculus themselves is ignoring it but in this forum we have plenty of talk about it.

Wallach

It's definitely a possibility, though how close we are is kind of up in the air. People have shown prototypes working (with modified versions of the Vive), so we're not that far off, but it's not quite ready for consumers just yet. Not to mention, once the specs of the headsets go up (screen resolution, FoV, etc), the demands for that wireless signal will go up.

Yeah. Abrash touched on that at the end of the keynote today. It's not even really there for existing bandwidth; by the next uptick in headsets those requirements will be a lot higher. By the time we're at 4k per eye we pretty much need foveated rendering, or a breakthrough in transmission I suppose.

I guess ideally in the long run you have a wireless headset by virtue of a standalone device, that can also connect wirelessly to a local machine for big dick mode rendering.

Is that what this thread is about? He isn't at the gigantic Oculus event, clearly he doesn't represent the company at all. A company that spent $10 million on a diversity VR program, but that doesn't get talked about. Yes he should be removed but we don't know why he hasn't, could be legal reasons, who knows. But clearly no one at oculus shares his beliefs.
They were quite happy to have him represent the company up until this cock up. That $10 million VR "diversity" program means precisely bugger all when you refuse to cut ties with this wanker. Why would you want to accept money to develop content for a platform that tacitly accepts keeping him as a part of Oculus? Hell, the diversity lead even left the company.

And no, it's not clear that no one at Oculus shares his beliefs. They're fine keeping him on staff, which means the whole leadership group is tainted. Fuck him and fuck Oculus.

Nzyme32

They were quite happy to have him represent the company up until this cock up. That $10 million VR "diversity" program means precisely bugger all when you refuse to cut ties with this wanker. Why would you want to accept money to develop content for a platform that tacitly accepts keeping him as a part of Oculus? Hell, the diversity lead even left the company.

And no, it's not clear that no one at Oculus shares his beliefs. They're fine keeping him on staff, which means the whole leadership group is tainted. Fuck him and fuck Oculus.

Worse still is that they haven't addressed this well enough. There is no reasoning for keeping him on, now actual direct statement at the event to address the situation (just a reliance of ignorance and a extraordinarily poor statement from Iribe); just the willingness to try and bury it as much as they can and paint over it enhancing their "diversity" initiative to seemingly cover that base and move around addressing the issue directly. Wasn't that also a new head for that programme? Anyway, there are not doing enough, at all, and this current attitude demonstrable presents their attitude.

Regardless of the maker of this. This is the step in the right direction. Once the open source versions of these come out expect the market to explode. Non tethered VR is the future I would take a step back to move forward in this area. VR is cool enough where I would gladly start with a downgraded visual market with full motion controls. This is the way it will be across the board eventually for everything,

Seiru

Banned
True inside-out tracking with no fiduciary markers or lighthouse is pretty impressive. Apparently people at OC3 have gotten hands-on with the prototype, and it works just as well as they say it does.

hesido

The things I'm seeing from PSVR are precisely in line with what I predicted, lmao.

I mean, in your own work with unity you were reducing polycounts and draw calls immensely and extrapolating that.

In stress tests, outside of a VR application, we were able to push about 500k polygons in about 400 draw calls a second at an acceptable frame rate .....
In the end, how much did we have to work with? We had about 20k polygons a second and about 40 draw calls to work with.

Extrapolate that performance difference to other hardware, because it's applicable.

You basically predicted similar amount of performance pitfalls (500k -> 20k and 90% reduction on draw calls) on other hardware, which is not what is happening. e.g. They managed to get DriveClub, a 30fps game, although indeed with compromises, to run at 60fps on dual viewpoints on slightly higher than HD resolutions.

You also said:
A Vive headset on a titan X SLI setup isn't going to look like modern-gen gaming.

hesido

I don't think you could argue that even a Titan X SLI setup on the Vive does look like modern gen games on a traditional monitor. What is contentious about that?

I thought they were over the top claims (the massive polycount and drawcall reductions) and dual Titans would have to be heavily under-utilized to not provide modern graphics.

Wallach

I thought they were over the top claims (the massive polycount and drawcall reductions) and dual Titans would have to be heavily under-utilized to not provide modern graphics.

I mean, the bar for modern gaming is defined by the hardware, no? Titan Xs in SLI would absolutely crush whatever they could present in a Vive on a high end monitor. I mean the hardware is both resolution and refresh rate locked just for starters. Nevermind the very significant pixel density loss inherent with VR in general compared to a monitor. Like whatever any given piece of hardware can do within VR it can do well more outside of it. And this first generation VR hardware is nowhere near capable in terms of other IQ aspects that VR may be able to offer in the future to offset that discrepancy.

cheezcake

The point where positional tracking with no external hardware is possible is the point where VR actually becomes feasible for the mainstream audience.

All I can think of is Ted Cruz in a santa costume.
Not even the least bit interested in this company.
All they've ever done is antithetical to what they promised in that kickstarter all those years ago. I'll wait for the competition.

I actually feel like the more interesting/impressive part of this is that they managed to get roomscale-like tracking without external sensors. Shame they didn't talk about that at all.

If you manage to get good tracking without external emitters or sensors on a headset by installing 8 cameras and running some pretty significant computer vision stuff, that is impressive, but I do wonder how feasible it is if you also want to track at least two controllers (and hopefully, by the time this is viable, more points than that).

Could get around that using a Leap-Motion like system. I think that's probably the better long-term solution anyway.

I mean, in your own work with unity you were reducing polycounts and draw calls immensely and extrapolating that.

You basically predicted similar amount of performance pitfalls (500k -> 20k and 90% reduction on draw calls) on other hardware, which is not what is happening. e.g. They managed to get DriveClub, a 30fps game, although indeed with compromises, to run at 60fps on dual viewpoints on slightly higher than HD resolutions.

You also said:

You kind of understate the significant amount of compromises.
Lower texture resolution, lower model detail, baked lighting, no reflections, etc just to hit 60fps so it could be reprojected. If they tried to hit the ideal 90fps native, the compromises would have been greater.

Could get around that using a Leap-Motion like system. I think that's probably the better long-term solution anyway.

I don't know. the drawback to Leap Motion is that your hands have to be in view of the sensors which, even with a wider FoV, still aren't going to be able to see behind the headset (eg when your hands are at your side or above you while you're looking forward). I think it would be better than nothing or even better than say Google Daydream's controller, but they'll have to figure something else out to be close to on par with Vive Wands/Rift Touch/PSVR Move.

Alexlf

The idea of having 2 cameras on each the top and bottom is interesting.
I bet they are wide angle lenses and tracking where the roof/floor and meet the walls, and using the shadows/differences as reference points.

BreakAtmo

Yeah, I don't really see much of a point to this.

On the other hand, a fully proprietary hardware platform seems more in line with Oculus' overall ambitions than trying to shoehorn their own closed ecosystem on PC.

Yeah, sounds like they would be the ones to mainly benefit. This basically sounds like it would be a Gear VR minus the 'you already paid for most of the experience when you bought your Galaxy phone that you wanted anyway' factor. They would have to get it to match the power of a Gear VR with something like a Note 7 inside, but at a lower price despite needing all the expensive phone hardware inside.

In the long run it sounds like this is the future. Light, comfortable, wireless.

From the oculus talk, it sounds like foveated rendering will make the bandwidth possible for high def wireless, But this can only work with accurate eye tracking which is many years away itself.

Crayon

You kind of understate the significant amount of compromises.
Lower texture resolution, lower model detail, baked lighting, no reflections, etc just to hit 60fps so it could be reprojected. If they tried to hit the ideal 90fps native, the compromises would have been greater.

It looks like a lot of work had to be done, but at the end of the day, the game made it intact. You could still say that the original game would not run but concerns two years ago were more like the psvr only being able to muster the most rudimentary scenes or being generally unsatisfactory in their crudeness. The reality is far more mild. Some lighting here, some detail there.

Zalusithix

In the long run it sounds like this is the future. Light, comfortable, wireless.

From the oculus talk, it sounds like foveated rendering will make the bandwidth possible for high def wireless, But this can only work with accurate eye tracking which is many years away itself.

Many years? No way. Eye tracking isn't rocket science. Cameras, and CV. Camera sensors and hardware for doing CV are advancing extremely rapidly.

Many years? No way. Eye tracking isn't rocket science. Cameras, and CV. Camera sensors and hardware for doing CV are advancing extremely rapidly.

That was from the Chief Scientist at the oculus conference. I recommend checking it out. He looks at a 5 year time horizon, and thinks it can be solved but is harder to do well than people expect due to the physical distortions of the eye and the inability to scan the retina itself but rather just the eye externally.

Zalusithix

That was from the Chief Scientist at the oculus conference. I recommend checking it out. He looks at a 5 year time horizon, and thinks it can be solved but is harder to do well than people expect due to the physical distortions of the eye and the inability to scan the retina itself but rather just the eye externally.

I guess part of the problem is my definition of "many years" in regards to VR is more than five. "Many years" is what I've been waiting for consumer level VR. I suppose for young people five years seems like an eternity, but that's nothing on the VR timescale. Heck, it's less than one traditional console cycle.

Beyond that, I think we'll beat even that estimate. Eye tracking already exists right now with varying levels of performance and accuracy. With the major focus on it now worldwide between VR and AR, I expect somebody will get it to the levels needed for high performance VR. Oculus isn't the end all be all when it comes to tech and innovation, and nobody can accurately predict what somebody else somewhere else in the world might achieve. That's why technology is fun.

AzaK

I think this is the only way VR goes anywhere. Either a standalone system or something completely wireless. There's no way all these cables and shit are going to go mainstream.

Wait, are you supposed to fire anyone who don't share your beliefs?

Left-leaning bosses firing right-leaning voters and right-leaning bosses firing left-leaning voters?
Is that even legal???

Can we instead use a bit of common sense? Any company with hundreds of employees is going to have, I imagine, some very left leaning people, other very right leaning people, others will be more moderate, others will be apolitical, and whatever else. It's statistics. And using more of those statistics, the extremists (like Luckey's position) will be a small minority.

artsi

It's cool.

I've pretty much detached myself from the drama surrounding these companies, I'm just glad someone somewhere is actively researching and investing in making better VR technology.

I'll buy into it again gen 2 or gen 3, whenever it's good enough. Vive and Rift both felt too clunky for me.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wait, are you supposed to fire anyone who don't share your beliefs?

Left-leaning bosses firing right-leaning voters and right-leaning bosses firing left-leaning voters?
Is that even legal???
Use your head and leave the strawman at home. Nobody gives a shit if he votes for Trump.

I don't know. the drawback to Leap Motion is that your hands have to be in view of the sensors which, even with a wider FoV, still aren't going to be able to see behind the headset (eg when your hands are at your side or above you while you're looking forward).

But during these situations, you can't actually see your hands anyway, right?

I can imagine scenarios where you'd want to be able to, say, shoot behind you while looking ahead, but they seem fairly limited. Also, in those situations you could get away with much less accurate tracking, however that may be accomplished.

Top Bottom