• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"“The late and not so great.” says Michael Patcher about Satoru Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of your opinion on how he handled Nintendo at the end of his life, that's a pretty shitty thing to say about a dead guy.

Okay GAF hold on
Like FUCK

Okay

What I said was

I said this

"To quote the late and not so great Iwata"

I didn't say what you said in the title.

Also I was misquoted in my own quote.

Tagyhag

Even if it was true (Which it most certainly isn't) it'd still be a shitty and random thing to say.

Just saying "The late ___" is enough.

Davey Cakes

I try not to talk too much about Satoru Iwata because of this.

He was a great man who did a lot of great things for Nintendo. Some of his decisions were questionable. I just can't blame a single man for the failings of an entire company, though.

It's out of respect, but also out of my own recognition that nothing can go perfectly. I don't think I could be a president of a company. It takes a lot of effort, sacrifice, and vision to lead an entire business successfully into the future and beyond.

If you were in the position, how would you have acted? And how would you have reacted to the market's response? It's not some simple thing. It was probably the man's entire life, despite people making so little of it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He later said on Twitter to defend himself that it was always his opinion that Iwata was a bad CEO, saying so even when he was alive.

Well Pacman did always say Iwata was a terrible president, he's not gonna change his opinion cause he's dead.

but yes it was a very tasteless remark

Chindogg

That comment had zero context to the subject he was discussing. It was a disgusting cheap shot for no reason and I've lost whatever respect I had left for him. Show some professionalism ffs.

That comment had zero context to the subject he was discussing. It was a disgusting cheap shot for no reason and whatever respect I had left for him. Show some professionalism ffs.

The comment is based on iwata's philosophy of free to start vs free to pay.

-sdp

I like Patcher a lot and he gets way too much undeserved hate on GAF and I also find his original tweet after the passing of Satoru Iwata not offensive at all. But he's handled the issue so badly, he constantly brings it back up and only makes himself look bad to an original situation that really didn't look so bad it reminds me of Donald Trump bringing stuff up again that people had moved on again and only making things worse for him. I usually defend him but I kept thinking about this same topic the other day as he kept tweeting about it. He needs to just let it go.

I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation, while failing to comprehend the modern market. That's not going to change and it makes no sense to turn this into a taboo.

This fuckin' guy.

I guess the Wii and DS don't exist.

EDIT: OK, so now I know the context. Still a dumbass thing to say in critique of Iwata's philosophy in the specific regard Pachter is discussing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
He later said on Twitter to defend himself that it was always his opinion that Iwata was a bad CEO, saying so even when he was alive.

Had pachter or anyone who thinks like him ever ran nintendo, they would be like sega or atari right now. He's been dead wrong about plenty since the GC era. Why anyone would take him seriously on nintendo just shows how ignorant one is of the claims he has made since then. So pachter stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

His free 2 play idea is valid, the way he goes about things not so much.

Astral Dog

I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation. That's not going to change and I don't see why this should be a taboo.

what a shitty thing to say though, he does not need to say "The great and beloved Satoru Iwata" or give him any personal description, just do his job,

chitnex

I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation. That's not going to change and I don't see why this should be a taboo.
I think that it's the context in which he said it. Nothing to get your pitchforks out over, of course, but unprofessional regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom